Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Challenge

Hello friends! We got a nasty computer virus recently and Clint had to reboot EVERYTHING leaving me computerless for a few days! But I'm back now!

I have been thinking a lot lately about the importance of spending time with God. It is more difficult now then it was when I was in college. I remember often devoting 1 hour a day to him during that period of my life but now I am lucky to get 20 minutes. I used to feel a lot of guilt about this but have come to realize that life is different now and it is okay for my routine to change as well! I have found though that it is easy to use this philosophy as an excuse to miss devotions all together (which obviously is unhealthy).

How does it go for you? Is this an area of struggle for you or have you developed a good habit? Do you read everyday or is it hit or miss?

For me - I typically do my devotions at nap time when the house is quiet and peaceful. This can be a challenge however because when the house is quiet and peaceful - I often get very sleepy! :) My favorite though is on Tuesdays when I go in to teach at 5:30am because I am home before anyone (usually) is up. I love sitting out on my front porch and spending my time with Him! It is the best!! There is just something about being outside that refocuses and inspires me!

I think accountability is a huge blessing in our lives as Christians and I am asking you to keep me accountable to reading my Bible EVERY SINGLE DAY. I am here to keep you accountable too! Let's recommit our time with him. We may not be able to spend a lot of time but we can be consistent, right?! Are you in? :)

11 comments:

Jess said...

I am in Jami. I'd love for God to use us in eachother's lives in that way! Thanks for the encouragement today!

Sandra said...

Isn't this a good topic to discuss:) I have to admit its a hit and miss thing for me especially over the summer when bible study's are not in session. I have to say that right now I am doing good, as I am in a couple studies and that keeps me hoping and making sure I get my bible study in. I normally do it at night when the boys are in bed and nick and I actually do our studies at the same time in the evening. That way we aren't exactly missing out on each other, but we both know we are spending time with God. Its been good, but oh yes, there are times its a hit and miss thing. Especially when you do have kids running around and errands to run, and house chores to do. I think its a great idea to keep each other accountable over the blog network:) Im in:)

Mindy said...

You can count me in too. I definately need the accountability. I found myself sitting here trying to decide if I wanted you to keep me accountable or not because I am afraid that I will fail! Then I realized that since I'm debating about it, it probably means I really need the accountability and thus I will go along.

I am embarrassed to say that I am "hit or miss" in my devotions. I agree with you that there is something about early mornings that really help you to focus on Him. Before Noah I would get up in time to have a cup of coffee and sit with God for a while before going to work. Now I am relishing any extra minute in bed I can have! And once my day starts it is hard for me to sit down and focus because my mind is all over the place. So I do try before bed to at least read a few verses and pray.

I feel guilty about the amount of time that I spend in the Word. But at this past Hearts at Home conference one of the women talked about this. I know God has called me to be a wife and mother so I know I am where He wants me. However, even with the business of life I can still find ways to spend time with Him even if it's not sitting down and reading my Bible. She encouraged us that as you go about doing your daily tasks to pray and talk to God. While you fold the laundry pray for each member of your family as you fold their clothes. As you clean, thank God for providing you with a place to live. We need to find the sacred in our daily life and use these moments to connect with God. It is still a challenge to me because so often I forget and just complain that I have to clean or do laundry. But if you can put this into practice it really changes your perspective on being at home and how you can minister to your family.

Taylor said...

I am in too! During the craziness of my summer, I struggled to stay in the Word and there were times that many days went in between devotions. I have so much more time now in the fall, winter and early spring to devote to God and learn more. I felt guilty all summer, b/c I felt like I couldn't control my time like I wanted too and I struggled too with being pregnant. I would like to be able to shift my time from evening to first thing in the morning. It is the one time I have 20-30 mins to devote to God. I am happy to hear I am not the only one who struggles at times with this!

Amber said...

Having a new baby in the house has definately added a whole new dimension to finding time to be quiet with God . . .wrestling with wanting to sleep when she is . . .or the fact that there are countless things that could be done around the house . . .to craving any down time I get with Ryan after he's home and when she's asleep.

I find the afternoon to be my best time - as I'm past the overly tired stage (usually, Ryan isn't home yet, and feel more able to let my mind stop to be with God. My challenge is to be purposeful in making that happen as I don't always!

I loved what you shared you do Sandra - actually last night I came into the family room to find ryan reading. . .with Ava cuddled up asleep next to him. I went and got my Bible and it was just an awesome time of refreshing . . .and feeling like I got some time with Ryan as well. I was thankful for Ryan's iniative for himself . . .as it helped me stop as well. I may have to pursue making it more a part of our routine . . .it is a neat way to stay in tuned with what your spouse is reading/doing as well too!

I can always use the accountability and am thankful for friends I can trust to do so!

Stacie said...

Thank you so much for your prayers!! They mean so much to us!!

Let's fight this!!!
Stacie

Andrea said...

I've been pretty hit or miss. We ready K. a story out of his bible every night before he goes to sleep. So, I do get SOMETHING, although not as in-depth as I'd like. I also do a LOT of my praying in the shower, or when I am doing my hair. It's about the only quiet time I have right now. When I go back to work, lunch time will be my quiet time, I hope.

Thank you for being a great encouragement!

Kristy said...

Count me in! When we talked with the Scripture Memory kids a couple of weeks ago about consistent daily Bible reading I definitely felt conviction. I've been trying to do mine in the mornings. Cole gets up before Cade so I have an hour or so of quiet time with just Cole and he usually plays quietly. He prefers to have me in the room with him so what a great way to be close to my baby but still have my quiet time. Now if I can only be consistent! I'm glad for the accountability of this though.And I'm loving hearing other people's ideas for how to find the time in various stages of your life.

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Jami. I would love the accountability. I am like you, I love to do my devos at nap time...but I can be hit or miss too. That is not good :(

I have found a website I LOVE for doing my devotions ...reviveourhearts.com. Some of you may hear Nancy Leigh DeMoss on the radio (I KNOW you do Jami :)) this is her ministry to women. You can listen to "today's broadcast" or search the archives. I read the radio transcripts on-line because I learn better by seeing rather then just hearing. I would highly recommend her study on Habakkuk, it is in the arhcives. I feel like she really helps me dig into the word and then apply it to today. Now I am studing (when I am being consistent!!) an archive transcript called "Foolish Women/Wise Women" which focuses on Proverbs.

How do you gals memorize scripture? A verse a week? a day? With some sort of structure like to help you remeber a particular passage? Any tips?

Thanks for the great post! It is fun to share ideas :)

Amber said...

I don't know how many of you like to walk - but that is probably my favorite way these days for my prayer time. Ava is usually quiet, I'm away from seeing all I should be doing around the house, my mind slows down . . .and I can just talk to God.

Marla H. said...

I am in too!!! Thanks Jami for the great reminder! I can be hit or miss. Just about as I am ready to sit down "soemthing" comes up! I sooooo need to get a specific time for devotions. I think I am going to try naptime and see how that goes!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin