Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Making the Most of Motherhood...


I'm reading the BEST book right now called "My Heart's At Home" by Jill Savage. I love when I read books (which is not very often unfortunately) because it gives me such a different perspective on life and reminds me of what is important.

Here's a few ideas I plan on implementing in our home:

Bring bubbles on long car trips! When you have a fussy or whiny child - hold out the bubble wand in front of your airvent and it's bubble city!! :) The kids will be so shocked and thrilled that they may just forget why they were whining in the first place!


Always be ready to celebrate! Celebrate the ordinary as well as the big milestones and accomplishments. Jill quotes Holly Shurter, a mother of eight, in her Hearts at Home article saying


"Most of us are careful to pick and choose the ideas that fit our family's rituals, traditions, and budget even as we try to make those celebrations fun and meaningful for our children. But no calendar alerts us ahead of time to the everyday celebrations that happen when someone gets an especially good grade on an essay or passes a difficult math test. No one warns us when the first crocuses will bloom or the first snowflakes will fall so we can plan a party. The trick is to be ready for such serendipitous celebrations.


At our house, at the very back of the tea and coffee shelf is the "party pantry." There we keep a tin of special tea, a bag of flavored coffee, some packets of cocoa, a bag of jelly beans or cookies - scrumptious, we-don't-eat-this-every-day treats to be pulled out in the even of a sudden celebration.


In the dining room, the sideboard has a drawer with nothing but colorful napkins, some fragrant candles, and a few surpises, like bottles of bubbles to blow at each other across the dinig room tables.

Nearly every day of our lives offers some good and perfect gift to celebrate. The trick is to recognize the gift and be ready to celebrate."

I want our home to be one of celebration, joy, warmth and safety...there is so much in this book - I just hope I can remember the really important things and be a better mom because of it! :)
How about you?
Are you reading any especially good books right now?
What are you learning?












3 comments:

Taylor said...

Ok Jami, you make me feel soooo normal! I love reading too, but I just never have the time and sometimes I can't get myself to sit down to do it either. So I am reading Dr. Dobson's The new Strong-Willed Child. I don't think that I have gotten far enough in the book to get some good practical advice, but believe me I need all I can get right now! Morgan is just like I was when I was growing up and I know how stubborn and set on doing things my way I was. Ugh!!! Please say a prayer or two for us as well. Sounds like you have quite a good book though! I'll have to put it on my very long list!!!

debdes said...

hi Jami!
just wanted you to know that i am reading your blog. i love it! i love your heart!
i was so excited to see that you were reading that book!! i just finished a book and Jill Savage's book is next on my list!!
we'll have to compare notes.

the book i just finished is a great book, it's Wish You Well by David Baldacci
great book

have a great day being a Mommy!
in Him
deb descarpentrie
p.s. i hated to miss the Talent Show. thanks again for the invite. please think of us next year!

Holly said...

Hi, Jami,

Megan told me you quoted the article I wrote that Jill included in her book - I'm going right now to get some bubbles to celebrate! Thanks!
I'm so glad I've found your blog!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin