Okay, I need to know. How long do you wait before doing laundry. Do you have a certain day for it? Do you just wait until your husband starts complaining about not having any boxers left? Or when you just feel like it (like that ever happens). Our laundry had been piling up quite high. Fortunately we have enough clothes to get us through my laundry slumps. I told Clint that once our pile of dirty clothes reached my head - I'd do it. He must not of bought it becuase while I was out last night, he had started a load (and we were so close too)... I have tried to assign certain days to chores. IE: Monday-groceries; Tuesday-dusting; Wednesday-vacuuming; Thursday-laundry... yet it never works. I may do good for the first few days, then miss a day and give up. So I wait till we have company to really clean - or on the rare exception feel motivated enough to clean "just because." But WHY BOTHER, I ask you, when Raegan pulls everything back out, ESPECIALLY laundry. My girl changes a 5-10 times a day at least. And she's ONLY 2!
So give me your tips - I need help!!
So give me your tips - I need help!!


10 comments:
Oh how I can relate! Only . . .I add a whole other side to the story. I often START laundry . .and even get it DONE. But then it sits and begins to pile up. So then Ryan finds himself wondering if he really does have clean clothes and has to go pulling wrinkled shirts out of a laundry basket, smelling them to check if they're clean. I can't claim success until the clothes are back in the closet where they belong. My "clean" piles can get pretty high - maybe we should compare sometime. I'm not sure my dilemna is any better Jami since theclothes often end up getting rewashed because I can't remember if they're in the clean basket or the dirty one. Sigh. There are some traits of mine I'm thankful Ryan didn't discover until after the vows were spoken!
When do I do laundry? When my kids run out of pajamas and when my husband runs out of his favorite boxers (I'm sure he will be glad the world knows that!). It usually ends up being one day for the kids and one day for the adults. On extra special days I do everyone's together! I have no set day, just whenever I am going to be home most of the day, which just happens to be (what a surprise) most days!
-megs
a) a certain day
b)when husband complains for lack of boxers
c) feel like it
d)mold begins to grow
e)my kids start playing in the smelly clothes
f)tired of getting dressed in the laundry room...i.e. pulling clothes out of the hamper
g)I hear that other people actually do laundry on a regular basis.
h)all the above.
I'm afraid I must circle the H.
Jami, I'm embarresed to say that I actually have had to throw a couple things away because they did get mold on them while waiting to be washed. Now THAT is pathetic!
But I have been turning over a new leaf in the last few weeks. I have designated one day a week to do my laundry...and ONLY laundry. I do not try to clean my house. I do not try to pay bills. I do not try to do anything but my laundry. I could tell Matt was desperate when he said he didn't care if anything else got done on those days as long as all the laundry got done. It has helped a ton mentally to know I just have to finish that one major task instead of trying to do everything plus the laundry. I have actually found that I can get one week's cycle of laundry done before the next week starts!!
So, that's my lowly advice. Take it with a gran of Tide...but it's helped me!
Wow, you girls are making me feel better about myself. I'm not sure if we got it quite right - aren't we supposed to sharpen one another? :) Anyway, it's good to know that I'm not the only one who can't do it all...I mean I am only one woman, right? We only have so much time in life!! Can I get an AMEN?!! :)
Don't feel bad about the mold Rebekah - there are times when I have to redue a load of wash because I forgot about it for days and starts to smell a little musty.
Ok first and foremost for the record I hate laundry, I think it is evil and it constantly hangs over my head. Usually when I do laundry it is because Kyle has no boxers left or I no underwear - yep that's what it has got to get to before I break down and commit myself. I don't assign a certain day because then I would dread that day the rest of my life and I don't want that! Furthermore when I actually do do laundry it takes like a week - ugh! Everyone tells me putting the clothes away is the hardest part, but I tell you - I can't seem to get them out of the washer to the dryer - that is why it takes me a week. Sometimes, I have to rewash them because, yep, they've been left in there too long and now they smell - ick!!!! Laundry and I were never meant to co-exist. I would rather pay someone to wash my clothes than anything else, but that is not an option. As far as your girls, from everything the family has told me about you (dressing up, doing your hair, etc), they are an exact replica!!!! How cute! God Bless!!!
Every day seems like laundry day for me.....I do admit I sometimes depise "the pile." It seems never-ending.....I even did two loads today and "the pile" is still there. I do get reminded that I need to do the laundry occassionly by my hubby, but I ALWAYS know there are clothes to be laundered....Jami, do not despair we are there for ya sista!!! I guess I will go wade through the monumental pile of laundry at my house and try to keep my head above the detergent suds!!!!
Later-
Marla H.
Haleluiah! I'm not alone!! wow, this has fufilled God's scripture of 'encourage one another'! Sounds like we're in the same boat, girls! I've had the mold issue, Rebekah...it's those wet washcloths! I think that makes the mold spots. So now I try to put them straight in the washing machine,(if empty) or hang them on my wash bin (right next to the wash. mach) I tore out an article from a magazine, which is my DREAM laundryroom someday! It had a counter to fold clothes, and underneath were a bunch of different 'cubbies' for misc stuff, each family member, out-of-season shoes, etc. So when it got full just pull out the bin and go put it away. (OR, our hubbies could go to their bin for their boxers!) Then up on a shelf there was a TV & radio, to help you WANT to fold your clothes! (i too am bad at folding my clothes right away) I'm trying to adapt to this, so for now I just put up an extra table, and it's helped a little. Now I just need a radio in there! We don't have an extra TV, but wouldn't that would be great?! Well, this almost makes me want to go do some laundry...but my pile isn't big enough. ;) P.S.-My sister does 1 load every day! she tries to at least put a load in the washer before bed, then the next day dry/fold. She claims the more often she does it, the less her load is and it's so quick?!? Haven't been that diciplined yet!
-Kristy
Laundry... ahhh. Before I had kids, I never could figure out how people could let laundry get control.... it's simple, right? Now that my two darlings poop through clothes on a regular basis, I understand. Here's my system (you knew I'd have one, didn't you?). I have a double hamper and a laundry basket that I use. In the double hamper in one side goes dirty towels, washcloths, etc. Clothes go in the other side. If I'm feeling ambitious, sometimes I sort of separate the clothing by whites and darks, keeping a pile on the floor. In the other basket is the kid's clothing which I wash in Dreft per Jami's excellent advice. Anyway, this allows me to keep a handle on how much of each has piled up. They're already organized and it's easy to throw in a load. It also keeps those washcloths from molding in a pile of cothes.
Now, regarding the folding, here's what I do. Every so often I pull out my clean laundry basket(s) and do quick sort- Cade's, Cole's, mine and Ben's, towels. Then I fold one or two person's clothing- only takes a minute or two and it keeps the pile from reaching the ceiling. Those dreaded socks do tend to accumulate. I absolutely can't figure out WHERE those baby socks go. I have at least 10 solo socks of Cole's and he's only 2 months old!
Anyway, there it is. Now nearly as exciting as Kristy's room idea (with that, imagine how organized we'd all be) but it works.
kristy
Laundry is an on-going process at my house. When do I do laundry? On an as needed basis...I do whites when Michael says he is out of undershirts, I do Noah's clothes every 2-3 days...when he is out of shirts, jeans or clean towels...I do colored shirts when all of my shirts have been puked, pooped or peed on. I strive to do all the laundry in a day, but doing 7 loads of laundry can be tedious and I don't always get them all done. Truth be told...I really don't mind doing laundry because I can throw it in the machine and don't really have to do a whole lot of work. I can get online or do something else while a machine does my work! Then at the end of the day it sounds like I have been busy working all day!
First Jami - I want to say, thanks for introducing me to this interesting world of "The Blog!" I used to have time to do laundry, but I'm not so sure now that I have to read everyone's updates! =) Now, on to the subject of laundry...it's so nice to know that it's a challenge for everyone else too! I actually do mine every Monday. I do it all in one day. Then, each load gets dumped in my living room and folded that evening after the kids are in bed, if nothing else takes precedence. The problem at our house seems to be the moving of clean laundry from the basket to drawers. Most of the time, I end up grabbing clean clothes out of baskets all week long...until the next Monday, when I need the baskets to do laundry again! Oh for a maid!
Lori
Post a Comment