So how does it work for you? Once a week, once every two or three? I met my friend in the grocery store who shops every 3 weeks, except for small items like milk which she gets more often. This idea appeals to me. I already go to Walmart and Aldi's so I could get 2 full carts in one trip. My fear is that we'd eat all the goodies in the first week and then be left with "bread and water" the rest of the time! I want to see if it would really save money - as long as I was disciplined when I went back for milk, etc. It would be very easy to grab extra. Hmmm...what are your thoughts? I like the idea of making one massive trip less often...with both girls, grocery shopping isn't quite as fun as it used to be! :) So there are my thoughts...what are yours?
Tuesday, February 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


15 comments:
I must say that for me personally (this is going to sound sad) I use grocery shopping as my "out" of the week. Due to the hours that I keep with daycare I really do not get to leave the house unless I am going to Walmart or Church... So I am a once a week girl. Also I cram my cart full, I am not sure how I would shop for a few weeks and fit it all in one or two carts. I could see how it would save money, but I agree with you Jami, I would eat all of the goodies right away. Also one trick that I use is I have a list saved in excell format of ALL of the items that I use and I post it on my fridge, as I run out of things I make a check by the item and then take it to the grocery store with me on Mondays. The list has about 200 items on it but each week depending on cleaning supplies and stuff there are only about 50 marked. If it is not on the list, it is not in the cart.... Personal Note: Jami, I think that your gift to young women in the church getting married should be a "how to grocery shop to feed a family" course. I don't know how you do it and keep it under $100!!!! AMAZING!
I am also a once a week gal. I think as long as you have a budget for your groceries that it doesn't matter how often you go grocery shop because you still have to stay within your budget. I think that going once every 3 weeks is a good idea in theory, but if you still have to go get eggs and milk every week, why not just do it all every week?
Speaking of budget...are you talking $100 a week or $100 a month?! Seriously...if you're talking $100 a month I need to take lessons from you! Give us your pointers Jami! What is everyone else's budget for groceries? I try to do $50-$60 a week, but I'm always interested to see if I am way out of line.
Mindy
I thought I sure include that my budget does not include diapers or formula. It's just groceries and household items...basically anything you can buy at walmart. :)
I go once every 2 weeks. Thursdays are the day. That way I can get everything that we will need for the weekend (polucks, get togethers, ect...). It is my little outing as well! I usually go grab a starbucks and head to meijer! I would love to have an ipod to catch up on things that I miss so I am saving for one : )
Ok, so I am so very curious about this budget too. Here is ours...$400 per month for food only, $60 per month for diapers, toiletries, cleaning and $100 for out to eat. I would be curious what others are and if they are less HOW IN THE WORLD DO YOU DO IT?????????
A few ways I save money is
(1) shop at aldi for basics...flour, sugar etc...ALTHOUGH...I have learned that just because an item is at aldi it is not necessarily cheaper!! Shredded cheese is more expensive at aldi than at walmart. However, I buy my shredded cheese at Sam's in a 5 lb. bag and bag it 3 c. each in freezer bags and stick the cheese in the freezer for future use. I think it comes out to about 32 cents per cup?! crazy!
(2.) Watch for sales!! Kroger has the best sales. I always wait until they have their 10 for $10 sales. of course, you don't have to buy 10 of everything...you just get the quantity you want for $1. I usually stock up on things at that time. but their groceries not on sale are usually more expensive.
(3.) Meijer has meijer brand baby food in stage 2 jars for 39 cents/jar. (this week they were on sale for 31 cents per jar) The Meijer is just as good if not better than Del Monte or Gerber.
(4.) diapers at Sam's. I can get Huggies for the same price at Same's as the Parent's choice brand at wal mart...and Huggies are so much better! Noah pees out of any other brand. :)
That's just a few ways I save. I'd like to hear other peoples tips!
Mindy :)
This is an interesting discussion! We do about $75 a week ($300 a month). This is just for groceries- diapers, etc. are in a separate category. I think the more organized you are, the more you save. The key is what Kirsten said- getting only what is on the list. I go every two weeks for my meals, etc. Before I go, I make out a schedule of what we will have every night, with veggies, etc. in the plan. Then I make my list off of that. I've discovered if I don't, I have food sitting around that I never use (ie 15 boxes of jello). I even try to plan out which snacks I'll buy and put those on the list. I definitely get a few things that aren't on my list but I've been trying to be more disciplined about that and its saved me a lot. Aldi's is a great thing as well. I go there about once a month (usually on the off-week that I'm not grocery shopping) and get things I like from there, plus milk. The other off-week of the month, I usually go to Sam's Club (their milk is reasonable as well) and get my faves from there. So basically, I get my once-a-week run to get milk, but not always from the grocery store. Meijer is just such a trap for me that only going twice a month is the best for me.
Let's see . . .my budgeting skills for groceries . . .try to stick within the allotted. . . and then borrow from our "flexible" categories when I don't (things like entertainment, clothes and vacation or my favorite category: misc!). Probably not the most responsible. I'll just glean all your ladies' wisdom!
I think what I notice the most is when I plan meals and shop accordingly I do much better than if I just go and make up meals in my head as I shop. While I love Kroger's sales . . .I sometimes get too caught by the other stuff (since I haven't had the energy to go multiple places lately). For me it's all about sticking to the list.
I know I've been spoiled because it's just the two of us and that'll change quite a bit once this new little person joins our lives. Right now it's around a $125 a week for food (that does include toiletries and cleaning stuff, and eating out). So I've had leeway to spend more than I should on food for just the two of us. Like I said, that's about to change!
As far as the every few weeks - I couldn't do it. We'd definately eat everything and then starve until I broke down and went grocery shopping again and the budget would be shot. I think you'd have to be a definate planner and organizer for something like that - it's just a lot of menu planning.
I go about once a week and that is hard for us. We spend 300.00 a month and that included everything. Once a week I do have to get milk, but I still stay in that budget. I go betweem Sam's, Walmart, and Meijer. Sometimes I notice that you really have to look for the deals or I can spend way too much.Katie
Amber! I am right there! That misc. column is horrendous! It is always being used and abused!
Anyone do coupons? My MIL and SIL do a couon co-op where we all share our coupons with each other. I just wish I would remember to take them with me to the store!
I use to do coupons, but then I realized that I kept buying things that were unnecessary just because I had a coupon for it. I think I spent more money using coupons! But if you use them wisely they are definately a good thing!
Mindy
Wow, this really has sparked some great conversation. Our grocery budget is 360.00 a month. My goal is to stay around $75-$80 a week. Now this does include everything...diapers, wipes, etc. EXCEPT most cleaning supplies and TP and paper towels. These are the perks of Clint's job!! :) Honestly, I have not done good recently but am feeling very motivated to get back into it. I do plan out my meals each week and snacks, etc. It's all on the list! I love planning my meals, makes cooking throughout the week much nicer because I don't have to think...unless of course, I lose my list - which I've done! Our out to eat budget is a whopping 20 bucks and the rest falls into Misc. at $80.00. As you might guess, we are OFTEN over on Misc. So there you have it...I'm going to go plan my meals for the next 2 or 3 weeks now! :)
If it snows us all in tomorrow, lets get together again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;o)
Wow, I think I am a little late getting into the discussion, but I sure did learn alot. I love Aldi, Wal-mart and Kroger too. One thing I love about Wal-mart is you can take in the Kroger or Meijer ad and they will match the price. I find it most helpful for meat and produce. I circle the items in the ad and bring them with me when I shop. I put those items on the bottom of my cart and then at the end of the belt when I am paying so I can keep it seperate for the cashier. Today,my grocery day, fresh Tyson chicken breast were on sale at Kroger for $1.97 lb, so I stocked up and took my Kroger ad to Wal-mart. I do visit Kroger too, so I am not just using them for their ads:) but sometimes it is easier to go to Wal-mart so I can get other misc items. Our budget is $440 a month ($110 a week), that is for everything(diapers, cleaning, tolietries). I used to go every other week, but I find that harder now as the kids have school lunches and snacks, so I go once a week. It is fun to talk about these subjects. It is neat to see how everyone tries to be good stewards of their time and money and still take good care of the family. Go girls!!
I think Jami deserves a reward for blog topic of the week . . .either that or we're all snowed in and stir crazy! I'll go ahead and issue the award. : )
Sometimes if my schedule is really busy - I order a massive 3 week load from Peapod (which is a huge blessing) and it only costs me $10 for the delivery. Now, $10 I am willing to shell out to not have to wonder done the aisles for 45 mins and especially with a kid! Other times when I have more time I just go every week or two - mainly to get out of the house!!!
Post a Comment