Okay, so I know I said I would tell you Cecil's story last Thursday but "life happened" and I just didn't get to it. With that said, today is the day!
(What is Everyone Has A Story? Click here.)
Two summers ago, Clint and I went on a mission trip to the mountains of Tennessee with several parents and high school students from our church. While there we met and helped a woman named Cecil who lived in extreme poverty. I want to step back and set the stage for you.
After winding through the back roads of the Smokey Mountains, our twelve passenger vans pulled to a stop in front of Cecil's trailer. Set among a beautiful backdrop of trees and open space, Cecil's trailer was old and worn down. Near the back of her property was a broken down shed and several old cars and parts lining the yard. Her husband who had recently passed away was buried in her backyard and there were several dogs running around the yard. Cecil's son and his girlfriend and their children lived with her but her other children along with their significant others and children all came and stayed at her place most everyday. The children were running around with little to no clothes on carrying bottles filled with juice and mountain dew. And as we pulled to a stop, her family gathered around to watch this crew who had come to help them.
As we stepped out of our vans, we were immediately greeted by a very unpleasant odor. We found out later that there was raw sewage being pumped right out of the trailer and onto the grass outside. Then the little doggies would run in and out of the sewage and in and out of the trailer. This was out of my comfort zone to be sure! Inside the trailer, it was dirty and smelly and ants covered the floors and counter tops. Cecil's family had a pet snake (large pet snake) who happened to like eating RATS! Her son liked to bring out the rat and scare us with it! Needless to say, I was SO much more comfortable encouraging our young high school students and doing whatever work was needed outside of the trailer. I was way out of my element.
After a few days, our final day at the trailer was upon us. Earlier that morning, I sat out on the deck where we were staying and was thanking the Lord for the beauty of His creation. I then opened my Bible and asked Him to speak to me. And speak He did! This is what I read that morning.
Gal. 6:3 "If you think you are too important to help somebody in need, you are only fooling yourself. You are not that important!"
It was like He gently yet firmly smacked me on the back of the head and said, "Jami! You are no better than Cecil. You are no more important than Cecil. Love her with My love." I was immediately humbled as I saw my sin of judgment and I begged Him to give me His eyes to see Cecil and her family. What happened next was absolutely amazing and supernatural.
After arriving at their trailer that day, I will never forget looking into Cecil's "daughter in law" Stephanie's eyes and that day, I saw a woman who was really, just like me. I saw a woman who needed love. A woman who had great potential and a special call on her life. I saw a woman who God simply adored and I felt His great compassion for her. My eyes were opened that day. My heart was changed.
Later that afternoon, as I was standing in the kitchen "overseeing" (hey, someone has to do it!) some of the high schoolers cleaning out the refrigerator, I looked over and saw Cecil sitting alone on the sofa and then I heard the Lord say, "Go over to her."
With His hand on my back, I walked over and knelt down beside her. It was then that I looked, really looked into her eyes and said. "Cecil, I want you to know that we are not here because we are just special people who want to do good things for others. We are here because of Jesus. He has given us hope and we have to share that with others.
Cecil, do you have hope?" It was then that her eyes filled with tears and she sadly shook her head no.
(This next part still makes me teary...)
I was able to share the hope of Jesus with my friend, Cecil that day and it was the most beautiful thing to watch as she accepted HIS free gift of salvation!! I saw transformation in her eyes that day. Her look of despair turned into a look of joy! Hope filled her eyes and spilled out into her smile. As I held her hand that day, I knew that we had become sisters!
Amazing God. He does not look on the outward appearance. He looks at the heart and He longs for all of us to look deeper too. He made NO mistakes when He created us. Each and every person on this earth has a significant purpose and is loved by Him. May He continue to open our eyes. May we be able to look past the surface and remember that everyone has a story.

Monday, November 1, 2010
Everyone Has a Story: Cecil's Story
Labels: everyone has a story
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
This is an amazing story! Praise God!
Wow, I can already tell this new "Everyone Has a Story" is going to be a highlight for me. It has been on my heart for the last couple years.
Thanks Jami!!!
-Do you have contact with Cecil?
I just love you Jami!
Sarah - I'm excited that you're excited! :) I don't have contact with Cecil. I talked with a local gal out there who goes to church near where Cecil lives. I asked her to keep up on her and I did receive one letter from her saying Cecil seemed to be doing well. It is a hard road. Cecil couldn't even read but the Lord has His hand on her I know that to be true! If she comes to mind, will you pray for her? Thanks Sarah dear!
Oh Kirsten, I love you too! Thanks for making me smile! :)
Thank you for the encouraging post! What a story!
Hi Esther! Thanks for your encouragement. I was just reading over your recent posts and am excited to read more. I love your story!
Bravo!!! "Everyone has a Story" is officially off the ground. I believe this will be a blessing to many. Great intro. :)
Awesome story, Jami!! Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Margie and Christie!! Let the stories begin! :)
Post a Comment