I have stacks of old journals in my house - journals where I've recorded my heart, thoughts, prayers, and silly everyday happenings. Recently I discovered some of my old diary's from when I was in grade school and jr. high. As I've read through some of them, I've laughed but it's also made me want to go through them page by page and perhaps tear a few out if needed!
Here's just a few experts from my very first diary. (I didn't write the year down but I had to be somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd grade range.)
"Dear Diary,
Today we played boat. After we played boat we had to clean up the boat. We took our stuff back were it should be. Then we played in our rooms. Then we made a tea party. Then we played a game. Then we ate supper."
Rough life I had, huh?!
Then just a few pages later...but dated several years later (I was 12) I wrote:
"Dear Diary,
I probably won't write in this again because I have finally opened my other diary. Sorry but that's a newer one and I write the personal stuff in there. If anyone is reading this all the stuff about the boys I like isn't true anymore. By the way, Leslie told me who she liked, it's in my other diary."
Oh dear... :)
Our Paige also loves to write and so while in Borders, we decided to buy her very first journal.
To say she was excited would be an understatement! She has been carrying it around everywhere, writing many times a day, and then reading her words (and rereading them) to us. I have to say I'm loving it!
She gave me permission to share some of her first entries.
"Dear Journal, It is now night time and I am still awake! Are you awake too? Well if you are I can write in you. I will write in you tomorrow.
Dear Journal, it is now day time. I am writing in you right now.
Dear Journal, we are going to play school. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ We had to go to the park. At the park we had lunch. I loved it. Oh and it was great."
And these little insights into her life, these make me smile!
To read more "everyday blessings" visit my friend Emily at Chatting at the Sky. Have a great Tuesday friends!!

13 comments:
very cute. :)
oh man. she is just beginning her journey with words. What a sweet thing to cherish :) And I am especially curious about who Leslie likes...
So funny! Makes me want to dig out some of my old stuff. I still have all of the carefully folded notes my friends and I passed to each other in jr. high. I'm kind of scared to go back and read them!
I love this picture of Paige!
I want to be your daughter, near heaven , in a tree, the sunlight beaming on words and dreams
thank you for sharing that
The beauty of a child's mind is amazing! I soo wish I could hear my daughter's thoughts. Can't wait til she's able to write in her own little journal too. Thanks for sharing.
I have some of my old diaries around somewhere-- they are full of fascinating insights into my young brain. :) What great memories that diary will hold for your daughter someday.
how sweet!! and your photo! my daughter would love to have a tree to read in!
Cute! I have my old journels too. They are so fun to look at.
I like Paige's shirt :-)
This made me smile! It really is fun to read the stuff we wrote in the past (and even more neat--to see our children starting to write too!). I still have some journals from junior high and high school, and I totally understand your need to possibly "tear out a page or two". :-)
This is so great - sweet and hilarious. I love that you pointed your (invisible) readers from one journal to another to hear about Leslie, and that you included a disclaimer about the boys you liked too. And it's so fun to be able to share a tradition like this with your daughter :)
Cute cute picture! Just stoping by--have you heard anything with the adoption?
Just came across you blog...not sure how that happened. Anyway, enjoyed looking around. :) I soooo remember the journals I kept when I was a girl. Like you, I want to tear out some of those pages now. Such a great part of the learning process.
What a way to get into the mind and heart of your daughter as she shares her insights with you.
Keep on keeping on. I'll be back to visit. :)
Post a Comment