Monday, November 9, 2009

Adoption Update - Another Twist On This Ride!

Hey friends - I could use your prayers right now.

The Lord has been working. He's been speaking to me a lot about timing, trust, and faith. I was at Living Proof Live this weekend with Beth Moore. She is an amazing and hilarious women of God and such a gifted speaker. The Lord spoke powerfully this weekend and He's still talking.

I feel like He's been telling me to come more boldly to Him. To risk the possibility of disappointment and allow myself to feel desire for this baby, to ask Him for what I want. I'm His child after all! :)

The truth is, I know that He knows me better than I know myself and so I've been kind of afraid to boldly say, I want to hear about this baby. I want it to be a yes! I want to move on. It's time! I do feel those things but I also trust Him enough to know that if He says no to my request, there is a reason.

So today I got on my knees and asked Him. "Lord I want to know today. I want to hear today. Today." I just have felt so strongly that the time is near. He has been speaking so strongly to that effect. Over and over I'm hearing about His Timing. Promises. Trust. Hope. Action.

I'm telling you, I feel quite vulnerable even posting this because I am still processing everything. But, I also really want your prayers. I just want to follow Jesus. Obey His leading. Do what He says and so that's what I'm trying to do!

Soon after I asked the Lord to answer today, the phone rang. "Uhhh Lord, could this be?" And as soon as I heard the southern accent of our dear social worker, Karen I was like "wow..."

We've been waiting to hear a decision from a young birth mom. But this is not why Karen called.

She called to ask if she could show our profile to another birth mom! What made this situation interesting is that this birth mom wants a completely open adoption. This is not something we were quite prepared for and honestly scares me. And then again it excites me. God has certainly been working on my heart over this past year and just recently, like today or yesterday I prayed Lord, I want to minister to our birth mom, I want to meet her and know her more than just once if possible.

So I called Clint and we both just feel like we need to be available. I trust God enough to know that whatever happens, He is here. I've heard horror stories and I've heard amazing God stories about how open adoptions work. I'm choosing to trust that God is sovereign and He knows our story. No matter what, He will be with us.

Now there is still a chance that we could be chosen by the "first" birth mom. She has not made a decision. It has been a few weeks and they are encouraging to make one soon because this "newest" birth mom wants to see profiles as soon as THIS afternoon. But she can't see ours until the other one makes a decision. Is this crazy??!!

So I'm feeling a little breathless. It reminds me of the last roller coaster we rode on our vacation. At the very top, the coaster crept over the edge of a mammoth hill and then stopped. So for 5 LONG seconds, we just waited, hanging over the edge of the big adventure. That's how I feel. It's exhilarating, it's exciting, and it's terrifying! Please pray!!

12 comments:

Marla H. said...

We are praying! Hang in there!

Jennifer said...

Praying with you.

Leslie Ringger said...

thanks for sharing james! i'm praying HARD! :)

CLS said...

Hi... I'm Laura Schafer, Andria schafer's sister in law... I love reading your adoption stories and hearing how God has been working in your life through this amazing adventure. I want to encourage you and pray for you as you walk this road... My husband and I were in the midst of an open adoption adventure when we were asked to postpone it due to the fact that I found out that I was expecting our little girl. I had a hard time with the fact that we had to delay our adoption but I know that one day will be our day to experience it fully. We were going through a christian adoption agency here in Texas and they referred us to some books (due to the fact that they highly encouraged open adoptions) and I thought I might share some of those with you to help you research more into the amazing gift of open adoption. 1. Dear Birthmother by Silber&speedlin 2. Holding time by Martha G welch. 3. How to really love your child by Ross Campbell. 4 Twenty things adopted kids wish their adoptive parents knew. 5. Good grief by Granger E. Westberg. All of these relate to the emotions that are involved in open adoptions on all sides of the spectrum. If you would like to borrow any of these I'd be happy to send them to you. We will be praying for you and your family through this waiting period... I know it's hard... hang in there! God bless your day.

Laura

Flamingo said...

oh my jami! i have to admit when i was in the midst of my international adoption rollercoaster, i was slightly envious of the ease of domestic paperwork! wow girl! you have me beat by far:) whew. what a crazy, crazy ride!

Haley said...

Jami!

Thanks for sharing! You are right - what a ride! praying!...

Sissy said...

It's funny that we were so scared about open adoptions, too, until our social worker talked with us about it. I wondered if an open adoption meant the birthmom would be showing up at holidays and birthdays and calling me all the time. I didn't feel like I wanted that. I thought it would be confusing for us and for the child, but our social worker said it wasn't like that and it eased my fears so much. Plus, I am assuming your agency is out of state, so that provides a little distance.

Here's praying for you!

Frizzy said...

We were terrified of the term open adoption too. After our social worker spoke to us and reminded us the open adoption wasn't for us it was for our child and that we can't live in fear the rest of our lives we felt a peace. I'm excited for you because this is how it all came down for us. The most unexpected moment and twists and turns are what brought us directly to our Yaya. Not one part of our adoption journey is typical or normal or conceivable! Not even to me most days and I lived it for crying out loud. That's what proves IT'S ALL IN GOD'S TIMING not OURS! HE IS PERFECT AND WONDERFUL AND KNOWS OUR HEARTS AS WELL AS HE HEARTS OF OUR CHILDREN TO BE. KEEP YOUR COMMUNICATION LINES OPEN WITH GOD. LISTEN! HE WILL TELL YOU HIS PLAN WHEN THE TIME IS RIGHT!

Leah said...

Praying!!! It is amazing how God works.

Unknown said...

Praying with you! What a thrill ride adoption is! Can't wait to hear the news.....(I think you would do great ministering to your child's birth mom through an open adoption!)

teresa said...

Praying with you!

Amber said...

so I"m a little late but I wanted to know that you, Clint, your "to be" baby and everyone enter my mind several times throughout each week with a prayer on my heart. Someday, it'll be so neat so see how hugely God has been in the details of bringing YOUR baby home to your arms Jami. We'll keep praying. love you.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin