Monday, February 8, 2010

I'm curious...

Hello dear friends! Happy Monday!

It's good to be back to blogging again. Whenever I come back from an "extended" time without posting, I feel like singing the old Gene Autry song "Back in the Saddle Again" though of course in my mind I sing, Back in the Blog World Again.

Anyway...

I've been thinking a lot about routines and how I don't do very well with them. But, I'm feeling the need to be a little more structured in my life especially since my calendar has become more busy and the fact that someday soon (hopefully) we'll be adding more children to our family - either through foster care or adoption.

So today I would love to get your feedback:

How do you organize your schedule? How do you manage your time? Do you have a certain day of the week (likely Monday) where you look over calendar and plan your schedule? How does that look? Once you've created your routine, do you stick with it? Does your schedule stay fairly consistent or does every week look different?

I would love to get inside your heads and learn from you. :)

7 comments:

Holli said...

so have you heard anything from the social worker??? been praying for you all!!!
I have been doing this since Sept and has worked GREAT for me!
Mondays Laundry
Tuesdays Bathrooms
Wednesday Floors -vacuum and wash
Thursday one load of laundry (which ever color needs doing)
Friday Whatever needs...
Really made things not piled up!
Can't wait to hear what others are doing!

Anonymous said...

I've done the same type of thing Hol does. I gotta divide my days or I get overwhelmed. I like to have my house clean for the weekend. So Monday's my catch up day(picking up around the house after the weekend tears it apart), Tues bills, Wed bathrooms, Thurs dusting/kitchen, Friday floors. LOVE it.
I can't wait to hear how things go too!!

Unknown said...

Not that I do this perfectly but I try to divide my day in chunks... AM, AFTERNOON, AND PM. I am best in the AM so I get my most important stuff done in that time. Afternoon I use to do mindless stuff... erronds laundry etc... and then PM is for family needs like homework, dinner and driving to lessons etc... I like this because it isn't too comlicated and I need that. :O)

Sara said...

Every Sunday afternoon/evening, I do my grocery lists, plan the weekly calendar and pay bills.

The calendar is a dry erase board that covers 1 week and I put all our family activities on it, including game night, movie night, famly Bible study and wrestle night. I also write on this board when to send B-day cards out or send in things for school. We stick to this calendar and the kids always know what is on tap for the day.

Wednesday I do ALL my laundry, back to back loads. I fold it all Wednesday night (or throughout the day if I am going away Wednesday evening). Some may think this is crazy with 5 people, but then laundry is done and over and I don't have to think about it for another 7 days:)

We run the dishwasher every night and empty it in the morning.

I have a deep cleaning every other Friday, so we have a clean house for the weekend. I like getting my house clean all at once (I do rely on movies for the girls during this time, but only twice a month).

My 10 year old has 1 chore per day (he knows his own schedule) which helps with the things that need done more frequently (vaccum, strip and make beds, Swiffer, trash, clean up the play room). My 5 year old folds all the towels and washclothes (and I am teaching her to wipe placemats after dinner!).

I am now starting to go the grocery and run errands more on a set day too, which helps.

Can you tell I am a highly structured and organized person?! I work part-time outside of the home and this helps me get everything done. I've always been this way and it helps my sanity. It reduces my stress, as well as teaches the kids organization and responsibility.

I would suggest making a light schedule for yourself and trying to stick with it for a month and see what you think. It doesn't have to be set in stone, but a good outline to follow.

Flamingo said...

jami,
i think you and i are alot alike. it's not that i can't handle routine and structure...i don't like routine and structure:) i've tried the whole thing of certian thing on certain days but it doesn't work for me.
so i am now doing "focus days". for example, mondays focus is cleaning which pretty much means bathrooms and my upstairs.
i am constantly having to pick up my downstairs and sweep it so i don't evenn count that as a day.
my other focus days include, "errand day", "working on ministry stuff day", "writing day", "menu planning day", ect. the point of the 'focuses" is so that i know that is all i really need to accomplish that day...that ONE thing.
i have to do laundry every day or i get all backed up. my goal is just to start the load every morning. no plan yet on how it gets folded or put away:) lol

i will say that i waste ALOT of time online. I love blogging and i love getting ideas and all inspired and then before you know it the morning is gone! uuugh.

so for me it is not really improving my schedule, it is improving me:)

Leslie Ringger said...

schedule... what's that? :)

Taylor said...

Great post Jami - I enjoyed reading all the posts! It's amazing to me how the days slip by and what you set out to do can get lost in the shuffle! I confess I need more disapline in this area for sure!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin