One more week until moving day! That's the plan....for now.
Until then, we've been filling many of our days with brush in hand, painting, painting, painting and quite honestly, I am ready to be done.
As we paint and prepare our new home, I'm finding it far too easy to fall into somewhat of a perfectionistic mode (spell check says perfectionistic isn't a word but I'm going with it).
Anyway, Clint just finished one of the bathrooms and what did I notice, an imperfection. He showed me his trim work and instead of focusing on the great job he did, I noticed the small spot that needed a re due. Clint is a really good painter, he is a really hard worker and even though I was (and am) really thankful and even told him so, I had to make a comment about the very minor imperfections.
Why do I do this?
I've done a little soul searching and here's what I think. I must be putting some of my worth and value into the way my home looks because when I see the imperfections, my first thought is I don't want others to notice this. Ridiculous, really.
When I just focus on the gift the Lord has given us in this home, when I think of the many ways we can serve Him in this home, when I think about making new memories here, loving, laughing, holidays, everyday, I am consumed with thankfulness.
But when I focus on the little details, trying to make things perfect and even putting my own self worth in the way "my" home looks, I become consumed with paint, decor, and myself really. I get stressed, grumpy, and I annoy my man.
This is not the way I want to live.
I want thankfulness to flow from me. I want to hold any and every gift the Lord gives me with open hands. It's all His anyway and He's got plans for our future here or there. The day we closed on our new house, Clint and I walked in to our sunroom, knelt down, and dedicated our new home to the Lord and that is what I must remember, it's His.
When I keep my eyes on Him, all is well but when I allow my gaze to droop to the petty, even the pretty I lose focus and perspective. So Lord, here's my prayer - keep my chin up, keep my gaze on You. I praise You!
How about you? Can you relate? What consumes your thoughts, these days? Look up, my sweet friends. Look up!
Saturday, June 26, 2010
life in color
Labels: moving
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
well, since YOU are such a PERFECT and DETAILED painter, i think it's TOTALLY appropriate for you to be critical of clint...
REALLY. no SARCASM here :)
i just noticed a spot on my wall yesterday where my paint is NOT perfect... and i decided i didn't want to get off the couch...
you are a punk. but i love you anyway! :)
Post a Comment