"...Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act..." Proverbs 24:12
I think this may just become my life verse! I gotta say, I'm pretty pumped! The Lord has opened my eyes to some specific ways we can serve the kids in our local foster care system. I am excited to share these opportunities with you because as the body of Christ, WE are called to be the hands and feet of Jesus. It is our call and our privilege as Christians - exciting!
I have visited our local DCFS a few times in the past week. It started with a simple phone call (inspired by a women who did this in another state) where I asked, "When kids come into care, what do they do as they wait to be placed in a foster home. Do they have nice toys to play with, snacks to eat, videos to watch to pass the time?"
Our DCFS office has 2 rooms approx. 11 x 11 where the kids hang out while their social worker calls available foster families. Visits and other meetings are also held here. The DCFS staff member I spoke with was very open to me coming in to take a look and so I loaded up my three kiddos and drove on over.
My kids were nervous about it at first, unsure of what they would see. I honestly had no idea either but I was excited. (Later that night, the kids told Clint we had visited an orphanage! Obviously I hadn't explained it clearly enough.) :)
Anyway, this is what I found. (I was only able to take a picture of one room, the other is very similar though.)
The rooms are not horrible BUT they are certainly not great. Not very welcoming and definitely not warm and inviting.
This is my dream - I would love to see these rooms as a welcoming, sunny, and peaceful space. A place where sweet kids are able to escape, even just a little from the harsh realities of their present circumstances.
DCFS is completely willing and excited about us coming in and giving these rooms a COMPLETE MAKEOVER!!
This is where you come in.
Would you help us bring a little sunshine to kids who need some?
There are many ways you can help.
*You can donate money so that we can buy paint, bookshelves, toys, etc.
All donations can be made out to Lifesong For Orphans P.O. Box 40 - 202 North Ford St., Gridley IL 61744 Attn: Foster/Waiting Children's Project.
My dad is the President of this orphan care ministry. By sending donations to Lifesong, all gifts will be tax deductible. If we would end up getting more money than we need for this project, the remaining monies would be donated to Lifesong - where 100% of donations go directly to help orphans!
*You can buy toys yourself, but since these rooms are fairly small, I would like to keep a tally on what toys are being purchased so we don't get more than will fit. I really want everything to be brand new as opposed to just giving these kids our leftovers
*You can come volunteer on the day(s) of the makeover (when we get a date set). We'll need volunteers to to help paint, assemble shelves, or some of the larger toys, pick up the old toys and take them to Goodwill, etc.
I hope to be getting even more specific info. by Friday. If you are interested in helping in any way, PLEASE comment or email me.
Let's do this thing together my friends! We are his hands and feet. Let's get busy!!

16 comments:
Oh Jami, what an awesome, awesome opportunity!! Wish I was closer to help out & see the finished product!!! Can't wait to hear all about it! :)
What a wonderful idea and way to bring joy to their lives. I too wish I were closer to help with the project.
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME!!! LOVE the idea Jami! Thanks for letting us know how we can help!
Jami-
It is evident that God has been working in your life. I love it! And like Kristy, I wish that I was closer. Keep us posted!
Christa
Hi Jami,
How very exciting & even better maybe if it works out this could be our time to meet. I look forward to hearing more & if I can't make it south I will surely help in some way!! What an inspiration you are....God is doing such amazing things through you. Shine for Jesus, Linda
I would love to help in some way. Let me know when the date(s) are to do the remodel and I'll see if I can work something out.
Great idea!
~Alissa
What an AWESOME idea! Your dad is pres of Lifesong? Did I know that? That is way cool.
I may pass this idea onto a friend....I can see her enjoy doing something like this locally!
I would so help you if I was there though...how cold is it there? :)
I just emailed you jami - count me in. : )
What a great, great idea! I wish I could paint a mural-wouldn't that be just wonderfully inviting in that room?! Maybe someone with that talent local will feel lead.
God is growing and using the passion He is filling you with. :)
Jami, this is amazing! Love this! Count me in! I'll send you an e-mail w/ more details.
Love you, girl, for your big heart!
What a great idea! I'll have to check at our local office. Our church is moving in the foster care ministry here in Wyoming. Three or four couples are starting classes next week to qualify as foster parents, two families will get a baby this week to care for (team approach), we are collecting pj's, toys, etc. to give to the kids in a cute bag as they are taken from their home and placed in a foster home. I'm excited to see what God will do here!
Jami,
That is a fabulous idea!!! I wish I could come help, but I don't think I can make the drive ;) I WILL however help you by donating some money. Let me check with Andrew on an amount...
I love you and am so proud of you for listening to Him!
Hi Jami!
This is a great idea!! Count me in to help out-put me down to volunteer on the "makeover" days.
My email is grantanddeb@verizon.net
What a wonderful idea! You'll be blessed and so will the children that will be using these rooms.
Deb Des
Do you know when you'll be doing this? We live in Champaign and could probably make the drive. Thanks, Christine
we need this in Arkansas! Actually, there is only one visitation room at our DCFS and I have never laid eyes on it because it's always busy. Instead our foster child visits with her parent in a tiny tiny office: 3 adults and two kids with 5 sq. feet of area beside the desk to play. Can't wait to see the results!
What am AMAZING thing you are doing. I am a Foster mom/adoptive mom to a child with special needs. Malachi was born substance exposed, fighting for his life and happens to have Down syndrome. God called my husband and I to become foster parents/adoptive parents for this sweet little boy! His adoption will be complete June of 2009. There are so many children who need loving homes. God calls us all to love the orphans of the world, some man not be called to become foster parents (or adoptive parents) but we are called to care. I LOVE that you are willing to do something which seems so small to us, but will mean the world to those children. I praise God for you and your servants heart!!
Post a Comment