Hello friends - happy Monday!
First of all I want to thank all of you who prayed for my talk last night.
To be quite honest - it didn't go exactly like I hoped. The main thing that I struggled with was connection. It was much harder than I thought it would be. I was more intimidated by the group than I expected and thus I was too focused on ME and not THEM. Big problem. I'm embarrassed by that actually.
I left feeling pretty discouraged and told Clint all about it. I had recorded myself on video so that we could evaluate later. When we watched the talk - I don't think it was as rough as it seemed in my head but there is definitely room for improvement.
The kids were very respectful - made eye contact - laughed a little but I just didn't feel that great connection. Clint was like "Jami do you believe that it was God's plan that you were there tonight?" I did - I do, maybe more for me than them.
I'm still fighting pride - I'm still learning to step out of my comfort zone - to care more about others than about whether I am being affirmed or not.
I still have some of those dear kid's faces ingrained in my head and I am going to be praying for them. They are in the midst of the battle - oh how I hope they step up and out in obedience to Jesus. Oh how I pray they will experience the ABUNDANT life here on earth and after.
So, last night was a learning experience for me. I know that God can use me despite myself - but I want to keep growing. So thank You Lord for loving me and continuing to work in me.
Maybe this was more than you wanted to know but there you go! :)
And now for the winners...
((opening the envelope)) - And the first book goes to:
#16 - Pam Furrer!!!!
((applause))
And the second book goes to:
#5 - Laura!!!!
((applause))
Actually, you girls can pick whichever book you want. I will be shipping them to you via Amazon. Send me an email with you picks and your address. Oh and I'd love to hear what you think of them!!
I love you all, my friends! And just so you know - I've got some other giveaways up my sleeve. (or maybe I'm just trying to keep you coming back!) No really, I do! :)
Monday, February 23, 2009
Do you really want to know?
Labels: life lessons, my speaking ministry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Wow, you are brave. Video taping yourself to watch later? Good idea, but seems hard to do!
It doesn't matter if you got anything out of it, or the kids got anything out of it...The only thing that matters is if GOD was glorified...and I'm sure He was!!
Way to get out of your comfort zone, Jami, and be a tool to deliver a very needed topic!!
I"m sure your words impacted those kids more than you'll know Jami . . .but I can understand the struggle of wanting to FEEL AND KNOW that they did instead of just praying they did. The good news is that God can use your words as just a beginning in working in their hearts and do great things!
thanks for letting us know how it went!
Jami, your time, effort, passion & willingness in and of itself is HUGE in God's eyes! I'm sure hearts were touched, and I can see how you would want it to go well, but before you know it, you'll be a PRO! :) Don't be so down on yourself, just give GOD the glory & He will continue to use you mightily!! Love you!
You are planting seeds, Jami. What a difficult talk to have in a world that is sliding and it feels like such an uphill battle to show young women how wonderful purity is. I know God is smiling down at you for obeying His call. :)
Btw, I mentioned your blog on mine.
Just checking in with you my friend... wow, sounds like you're getting to speak a lot :) Because working with teens has been our life for our entire marriage, I know exactly how intimidating that age group can be! Nothing like being sucked into a warp zone by their own insecurities and identity crises to make you forget who you are at times : ) They pay attention a lot more closely than you think though, and I wouldn't be surprised if God used you powerfully but totally under your radar. Always better that way too, then God gets the glory for sure.
I appreciate your honesty with desiring affirmation.... dying to self is excruciating for me. Yet, no matter how painful and humbling our walks with the Lord become, He is always worth it and the relationship is always sweeter.
ps. I've been meaning to tell you that I heard from at least two women that went to your session at the conference and they LOVED you and everything you had to say.... how's that for affirmation : )
Jami--I'm always so amazed at how open you are to what you think your faults were. You really are a humble spirit. Such good thoughts were already shared by the other's commenting--but just wanted to say God is going to use you in a very special way to bless teens in this world. I'm thankful as a mother that someone can stand up before them and share with them. Bless you--Marie
Oh, Jami. I can feel your disapointment. Junior high kids can be such a tough sell, but the thing to remember is you never know what touched their hearts that they are not going to show. I know the things you said were of God and you just have to rely on that. And I thought it was really good!
Girls - I can't tell you how much your encouragement meant to me! Thanks for being so dear!! :)
God is good!
OK, I almost hate to suggest this, b/c I have no idea how many girls were in attendance...but for our pregnancy group, the leader writes a letter to each girl after the class...it may be too much, Jami. But perhaps that would help solidify the deal...also, I do think, as D&M said --- you got to them more than you think!
Post a Comment