Monday, February 16, 2009

An Unexpected Episode!

Tonight Clint and Paige were on a date and so I decided to take the other two out to the mall with me...just for fun you know! :)

We were looking at some clothes in Old Navy when Raegan reached down into the stroller, pulled out a brand new pair of tights and said "I want to have these!"

To my horror - I realized that the tights were from Bergners!!! That meant we had just shoplifted! After my I picked my jaw up off the floor we raced back to Bergners with said item and walked up to the counter where I explained what happened.

The cashiers were very kind - thankfully!!

I made Raegan put the tights back where they belonged and then I whispered 7 small words in her ear that she didn't like...AT ALL.

You need to tell them you're sorry.

Tears were shed, sobs were heard, and excuses were made such as "But I don't know them!" "I want Daddy!" and my personal favorite, "I'm shy!"

Shy? Yeah, right.

I'm sure my face was glowing in a nice shade of red but I wasn't going to back down. This was IMPORTANT!

Finally Raegan let out a tearful apology and they graciously accepted it! :) She quickly felt better after I exclaimed how proud I was of her for doing the right thing - even though it was hard.

It was an embarrasing episode to say the least but what a great opportunity to teach that even when we do something wrong - when we sin - we can be forgiven.

Let's hope she remembers this for a long time!!

11 comments:

sarah.flyingkites said...

Wow, great lesson for little Raegan!!

I laughed out loud on the 'shy' part. Too funny!!!!

Marla said...

I read this to Grandma and Grandpa and Gary and they thought that it was TREMENDOUS lesson. (Grandpa's words).

Love MOM

Marla H. said...

I also got a laugh from the...."I'm shy" comment from her. That's funny. It is a good lesson.

David and Marianne said...

I think your Raegan and my little Zachary were made from similar molds : ) I loved your story and oh how I felt your pain!!

Anonymous said...

Jami,

That was precious! I am so proud of you for doing the "right thing". I am sure it was just as hard on you as it was on Raegan!
She is so fortunate to have a godly mother to teach her.

You are loved,
A. Barb

Anonymous said...

Jami,

That was precious! I am so proud of you for doing the "right thing". I am sure it was just as hard on you as it was on Raegan!
She is so fortunate to have a godly mother to teach her.

You are loved,
A. Barb

Sissy said...

My mom stole a towel from a hotel one time to use on a car trip. Our car evidently had vinyl seats and no AC, so she sat on the towel. My dad saw it about 200 miles down the road and made her take it in to the next hotel from the same chain they came across! So embarrassing!

smw said...

the shy was hysterical. :)

On Purpose said...

Wow what a mom!! You are a blessing to those three beautiful gifts.

Flamingo said...

oh no! one of my kids did that too. i can't remember which one, i just know they were really young and didn't "know better". i think they stole big huge hoop earrings. too bad they weren't in good taste;)

Anonymous said...

Jami

This made me think of something that happened to me years ago, after Sam and I were married, but before Joel was born. I put my coat on the belt hooks at JCPenney and tried on several belts. After selecting one to buy, I picked up my coat and paid for the belt I had chosen. I walked around the mall for awhile, going in and out of several stores. When I went to put on my coat to go home, ANOTHER belt fell out of my coat! I had NO idea that it was there and would have had no defense if I had been caught. I had shoplifted, but hadn't realized it. I marched back to JCP to find a different clerk who was quite confused by the time that I left! I won't forget it and worried about seeing newspaper headlines reading "Local teacher caught shoplifting!" What an example I would have been. Yikes! Thankfully, God was looking out for me even if I wasn't watching what I was doing!

Pam F.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin