I remember the day (not like it was that long ago) but OH how I remember the day when I clicked on FLY lady and started to feel some hope in the home making department.
Fly Lady writes about how you should start by shining your sink. Empty all the dishes out - put them wherever you need to but get them out of the sink and then start SHINING.
My kitchen was a complete disaster area as Paige and I scanned her website and watched a video about shiny sinks, yes shiny sinks! :) And then I took a deep breath and started emptying my sink.
Fly Lady has a specific recipe for making your sink really shine but my method has worked just fine for me. I may someday try hers but for now I spray mine with multipurpose cleaner (which does NOT have chlorine in it) then rinse and wipe it down completely - around the tops of the drains and faucets - everything.
Then I grab my glass cleaner (be careful to not mix Chlorine, Acid, OR Ammonia because any of those combos can produce a LETHAL gas). Many glass cleaners have ammonia in them so please check that out first!!
Anyway, I grab my glass cleaner and shine up the faucets. Then I sit back and SMILE!!
Friends - a shiny sink WILL make you smile - I'm just sure of it! See that's my sink and I'm smiling now! :)
When you have a shiny sink, it's very hard to leave the rest of your kitchen a mess and so you go to work. Set your timer for 15 minutes, do what you can and then STOP. Unless of course you get really motivated, then GO!
But really, Fly lady is all about BABY steps...have I mentioned that before?! :)
She's also all about using your timer. You wouldn't believe how much you can get done in just 15 minutes. 15 minutes of focused time on one thing.
But unfortunately many of us are SHE's (that is Sidetracked Home Executives) so we have to tell ourselves to keep focused.
I'm still working on that.
But everyday (so far) - I'm making my bed (that never happened), I'm keeping my bathroom counters cleaned and I'm doing (most days) a load of laundry because my girl FLY lady says - "a load a day keeps the CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) away!"
So friends, if you're feeling overwhelmed by your duties at home, feeling like you can't get on top of it all, just go and shine your sink. Just do that and you will smile.
And maybe just maybe, you'll want to keep going! :)
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
It all started with a shiny sink!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
James~
I am going to give it a try. I feel like my kids are finally at the age that I am not overwhelmed ALL the time and just some of the time. This might help me have more "good" days! Thanks for the tip!!
thanks for this jamie. wow..i will pray for you...i for 1 would NEVER have my house array as i leave for the store! lol!!!
i did fly lady for a little...now you inspire me to do it again. my problem is that i'm lazy in the morning and i get hung up on paperwork and couponing which takes a lot of time.
Woo Hoo, looks good! I NEED some motivation right now, so thanks!
I agree with all of what you said and more. Just vacuuming my carpets makes me feel better about myself, my house and my day.
Post a Comment