As my kids get older, I realize more how much I need Christ's help because I canNOT do it on my own. Parenting is hard work!!! Can I get an AMEN?!! :)
Paige will be in kindergarten next year and though I can hardly bare the thought, it is true. My role as trainer and instructor in her life is critical. This is my last year of having her "under my wings" for the majority of the day! Oh, I cringe at the thought.... I take comfort in the fact that many mommy's have gone before me in releasing their first borns to the BIG WORLD! I also am thankful that Paige is extremely excited about going!
My time now with my children is precious and I want to take advantage of raising them in the way of the Lord. It is my greatest desire to see my kids grow up with a passion for Jesus Christ and with a deep love for others.
Now that the holiday season is upon us, I want to take every opportunity to point my kids to Jesus and instill in them the value of thankfulness. This brings me to the reason behind my post.
I want to get your thoughts - what are some ways you plan to make Thanksgiving and Christmas special for your kids? How are we going to help our children stay away from the "gimmie gimmies" and build in them an attitude of thanksgiving? I look forward to gleaning wisdom from you! :)

7 comments:
Precious picture of your precious family!
That is a really neat picture Jami!
I get a little freaked out thinking I'll have two girls in school next year already--when did our family get so grown up, ya know? have I been able to teach them enough? have they actually learned the things I want them to? how badly have I messed up? So...it's back to my knees to ask God again to fill in the (many)spaces where I've failed. I heard something at a HAH conference one year--that we do have a great responsibility as moms to teach & train our kids, but also, we're still human, and there's no way we can do/teach/train everything, so God WILL 'fill in the cracks' that we miss or mess up. I don't know if I conveyed it very well, but the thought has been very helpful to me.
My mom gave my sisters & I each a book by Lisa Whelchel called "The ADVENTure of Christmas" & I'm hoping to use a lot of the ideas in it this year to really focus the season on Christ, & giving to others. With Matt being involved with the Thanksgiving baskets at church, we've talked about people who don't have money for the things they need, and prayed a lot for the families that will get the baskets.
Looking forward to hearing other's ideas!
janelle
ps thanks for posting the recipes jami, that sounds like such a good idea to have all those meals done!
I love the picture of your family. Being a mom is the hardest job in the world, but so worth it. I think we all wonder if we are doing a good enough job. I will have to check if our library has a copy of the book Janelle recommended. The time between Thanksgiving and Christmas goes so fast and it is easy to get wrapped up in the commercialism and not use the time to prepare our hearts to celebrate the birth of Christ.
I love the picture of your family!
What your post is about is something that concerns me greatly. As a single mom, I have a huge responsibility to point Abbie in the ways of the Lord. My greatest desire as a mother, is to see her come to know Christ. Even though she is only one, I want to start reading her the story of Christmas from the Bible every year. I am also not sure what I will do about Santa Claus. I will be following your post, to see the responses!
Love,
Karen
We haven't been thinking about Thanksgiving as much, but looking ahead to Christmas. With this being K's first with us, as well as first grandchild, it's going.to.be.ugly for our family. We've tried to ask to keep the gifts down, but that's like asking the wind not to blow in Oklahoma-not gonna happen! So, we'll probably end up putting the gifts away and brining them out a little as a time.
We're already reading from a great children's bible, and I think that helps. We attend church on Thanksgiving, so that will be a tradition we hope to continue for a long time to come.
I emailed my cousin about this a few weeks ago, actually. I worry that we're not doing enough. And at 13 months, how can you really tell? My cousin and I both feel that we teach our children every day through our actions. Being able to use every day events to teach about Jesus' love is crucial, and you have to keep your eyes out for them. For example, every Christmas, we donate to the toy drive here in town. T. and I go to the dollar store and literally fill our baskets with toys. It usually ends up being about $100, but it's SO much fun to just throw anything into the basket and go. Now that K. is here, he can go with us, and we can teach about sharing. I am sure we'll also work at the local food bank as well. I think that will be something we do as a family as he gets older.
There's a lot more I could write, but I have written a novel already! I think as long as we keep Jesus in our hearts, we make a difference no matter what!
Great post-I'll also keep checking back!
Like everyone else has said already, that IS a neat picture.
Bear with me here:
Don't worry too too much about "letting Paige go." You have and are still doing your best to teach her what's right. She'll do great. I went through the "letting go" thing with Katie this year and there are still challenges as there will always be with parenting. My adive to you is not to worry to much....just be involved in her life. Ask lots of questions and help at school if possible. Then you can see her classmates to see how they interact with her and see how she interacts with them, too. It's truly a blessing to see your child grow and mature. Katie's only been in school for 3 months, but she's learning and growing and maturing. I can't imagine what she'll be like even 2 or 3 years from now....I am definately not saying she'll be perfect, but I am excited to see her and my other two girls grow up (hopefully in Christ, too)!!!!
For the Holidays:
We have a "gratitude journal" for the Thanksgiving table. Everyone get to write or have written in the journal what they are most thankful for that year....it's neat to see what the kids are thankful for and go back and reminiss (sp) on the other entries.
For Christmas we do "The Advent Book" by the Stockhams I believe. And we do watch the VeggieTales "The Toy that Saved Christmas" (to help with the "gimmies) and "The Star of Christmas (to help with the true meaning of Christmas)." I know some parents think the Veggies are annoying, and sometimes I think they are, but they really get down to the kids' level and have a great message.
Jami,
God just shines through you, and it is obvious that He lives in your heart.....Everyone you meet is touched by you, and I know that your sweet children will love the Lord just like you do. YOU are the best example.....
I love you!
Post a Comment