Friday, May 1, 2009

To be continued...

Hello friends - I know I was supposed to post a winner for the book on Friday but our life got a little crazy last week. So you'll find the winner at the bottom of this post.

Last week on Wednesday afternoon I got a phone call about a baby girl born in our area (6 days old at the time) who needed to be adopted. This sweet baby was born with Down Syndrome.

My first thought was "Wow, Lord I want to be open to adopting her if this is Your will." But, I had no real sense that it was.


That is until I hung up the phone.


I want you to know that God has taken me on a journey since then and it's been amazing. I have watched Him completely change my heart and He continues to surprise me.

After hanging up the phone, I couldn't get this little girl out of my mind. Even more, I heard the Lord speaking to me. Are you really willing Jami? Will you be obedient to me in everything? Will you face your fear and trust me. You say you want to live with your hands open to me, do you really mean that?

I called my friend Amy (who was spreading the word about this baby) and said something like "I don't have any idea if she is to be ours, but I'd like to hear more about this situation."

As we were talking I started feeling emotional and soon couldn't contain the tears. I told Amy how adopting a child with special needs was never in our plan, it was also something that scared me a lot.

But God.

He has taught (and continues to teach me) that this life is NOT about me; it's not about my comfort or security. God doesn't call us to live for ourselves. He calls us to live a life of obedience - He calls us to take up our cross and follow Him, no matter what He asks. But He promises to stay close and care for us every step of the way.

This is only the very beginning of this story my friends but I can't finish it right now. More tomorrow!

And we must not forget the winner of "What Happens When Women Walk by Faith" -

KRISTY L!!!!!!


12 comments:

Bekah said...

Jami--I cried through your post. Ever since my nephew was born with CP, my heart just bursts for kids with special needs. We are praying for you guys as you seek God for his will for this beautiful daughter of the King. Also, I love your blog design. Praying, the Mosers

Carrie said...

Jami,
I just read this! I have to tell you that there is a reason God has put this on your heart even if you do not bring this angel home ..I have a wonderful niece with DS and she is a light in the dark..always happy, always loving, just the best girl in the world!
Prayers for you and your family and this decision.

Mrs. Hany said...

Jami, you truly have a beautiful heart. Thank you for being willing to listen to your heart whatever it may be. When we had Najara (before grace) she had downs syndrome and I was afraid, but that fear was quickly wiped away with love. Whatever you are being told to do we will pray for you!

Amber said...

Continuing to be prayerful for you Jami . . .love ya.

Linda Schuhmacher said...

I know our Father will let you know his will. I look forward to hearing more about this sweet little girl.... I have always held a special spot in my heart for these children & have mentioned a few times that I would take one of these angels.

J Gutwein said...

Wow.. praying for peace & discernment. Love, J

Kelli said...

God will give you peace. I am praying for you and your family!!

Blessed Mommy said...

how wonderful - CANNOT WAIT to hear more of this story!!! i have a feeling GOD's hand is evident thru every step of it!

On Purpose said...

Hey we could bring t-shirts that say "God work in progress" on the front and then on the back "To be continued by God"

Whatcha think?

Love you girl!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Jami,

you are one remarkable woman. no matter what the continuation of this story entails, i'll tell you that right now. God made you good.

with love,
Karin

Kristin L. said...

Jami--Praying for guidance, clarity, and emotional strength for you and your family. As always....your open heart is such an inspiration!

Heather Mattern said...

Finding your blog has been like salve to some wounds that I have had! Thank you for sharing your heart! I am learning to daily remember that God is in control and I have given this "dream" of adopting over to Him to do with as He pleases!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin