Tuesday, September 21, 2010

beautiful

Going from 3 to 6 kids in the span of a few months definitely changes the family dynamic. I have talked with some of my friends who came from big families and it seems like many times they felt like they were just one of the pack.

This concerns me. I want my kids to know that each one is loved and a special and significant part of our family. Because of this, we are trying to become more intentional in making one on one (or in this case one on two) time with our kiddos.

So, last Saturday Paige, Raegan and I went out on a little date. We began at Panera and ended up at the library. I believe I can say with certainty that good times were had by all!

We all got "coffees." Mine was the real deal, theirs was hot cocoa.

And we dined on bagels and cream cheese.

And oh the conversation... :) This girl knows how to work it!

Love those eyes!
As I was taking pictures, Paige threw out this pose...

and said, "This is how the ladies look at the mall."
d
I laughed and then asked her to explain herself more. "You know, mom. Those ladies in the pictures, the ones who are immodest."
d
That's when Raegan pulled down the front of her shirt to show how they looked.
d
(Ahem)
d
I asked my girls, "Why do you think they dress like that?"
s
Rae's reply: "Because they think men will think they are more beautiful like that and will want to marry them"
s
Paige: "or maybe not want to be their husband but just want to be their boyfriend or something..."
s
Rae: "Yeah because men like to look at women's bodies..."
d
Me: "Girls, what makes you truly beautiful? Is it the clothes you wear or the way you look?"
d
Rae: "No Jesus loves us just the way we are. He made us."
d
Me: "And because He created you and loves you, you are beautiful. You are beautiful because you are His."


It was a very special breakfast date indeed. I didn't plan to talk about beauty but I'm so glad we did. It just reminds me how bombarded we are with these messages of false beauty. My girls are only 7 and 5 and they notice what's out there. The world is shouting wrong messages at us. We must be on guard. We must speak truth. We must live the truth!
d
Thank you Jesus for my girls. Thank You for loving us, for creating us, for calling us Your own. I love you.

4 comments:

Mindy said...

Those girls are too sweet! I have warm fuzzies from reading this. :) You are doing a great job instilling the truth about beauty in them! What a special time.

Gina said...

3 of my favorites-1. Panera (I live for their french onion soup), the library (I'm obsessed w/ books, especially children's books) and 3. your blog!

Linda Schuhmacher said...

Jami & Clint, You must be so proud!! :) Love the date idea....we did that for awhile & then life took over...we need to get back to those special times. Thank you once again for sharing with me.

Jill said...

Neat conversation Jami! Precious teachable moment for sure.

One tip I heard on the radio from a mom who had a large family and the question was asked how do you help your kids not feel like a number. She said that she prays everyday to have God's Spirit prompt her with which kid(s) really need her attention and help. He is always faithful and never fails to let her know. I thought that was great. I only have 4 kiddos but try to pray that too. In fact, I have forgotten for a while now, but am goind to start back. I think your dates are valuable as well!

Your a great mom!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin