Little sis has been with us for one week now. I think (and pray, and hope, and pray) that we are rid of the lice that she brought with her. Ugggh.
It has been an extremely stressful week. Extremely.
This whole situation has done a number on me. I have been seized with fear at times. And it's not just the "l" word (I don't even want to write it anymore!) :), this whole issue has taken me to dark places.
I haven't questioned our calling to foster. I really haven't. But I have regretted it at times this week. (I am just being honest here). I have felt the desire to wrap my arms around my kids and "protect" them from the big bad world. I have felt like hiding. I have felt like throwing up. I have felt like I might not make it through this. I have cried, oh how I have cried.
I've cried to my hubs, my mom, my dad, Clint's mom, my friends, my dr., the nurse, the kids' dr., pretty much anyone who asked the very simple question "how are you?"
It was a really bad week.
BUT, the Lord has been faithful! He has not let me fall. I have faltered, but I have not fallen. I have felt so very weak but the Lord has continued to bring people into my life to lift me back up. My mom has taken loads and loads of laundry to her house to give me relief. Clint's mom came and just helped me fold laundry when I was feeling overwhelmed by it all. Friends have been praying for me, encouraging me, loving me through this.
I feel melodramatic talking about how hard this week was when I realize it was just "the l word" but it wasn't really. Satan was bullying me. I was having trouble keeping my focus on the moment. My mind was drifting to the "what ifs" of our future. The questions about what else might come.
It's hard when you bring a new child into your home who you haven't yet fully bonded with and she brings with her (you know what). It is challenging (and I didn't do it well) to love her as Jesus does. To look at her as a child and not "a problem." I absolutely hate that this is how it's been but I'm trying to give you an honest gut level view of the realities of being a foster parent. It's hard. It's not natural. It's not always pretty.
BUT, we know that this is what God has called us to. We know that we are where we are supposed to be. We know that He will never leave us. We know that He will continue to walk us down this road. It is about moment by moment dependence. I am completely desperate for Him because when I try to do it on my own, or look to far in the future, I am a mess. I need Him. I love Him. I praise HIM.
He calls us to do hard things. Sometimes, it is not fun at all but other times there is joy unspeakable. I am praying for grace to live in the moment and to let GO of me (because I am stinkin' selfish) and allow the love of Christ to pour into me and spill out all over these sweet children (all 6) whom God has entrusted to me for this time.
It's a process. I'm a work in process but I am so grateful for my Jesus who loves me through it all and never leaves my side. Alleluah!
Tuesday, September 14, 2010
one week in: an honest look
Labels: our foster care journey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Bless your heart Jami! You know I have typed and typed this again, but it seems so often you and I are in the same battles at the same time just different situtations have lead us there. I am praying for your heart and a renewed spirit to lift you up to a glorious day tomorrow...and for just one little sweet reminder that you are exactly where God wants you.
Hugs!
Have thought of you often this past week Jami.
Praying you can continue to feel His nearness, HIS strength and His love.
And we'll just lift your arms the times you don't. : )
I don't know you at all (I came here through Abby's blog - have been reading for quite a while), but your honesty and attitude inspires me. Thank you for being such a good example and being obedient to the call Christ has given you - even when it's hard.
Praying for you right now.
I HATE LICE!!!! and ringworm and the Devil bullying us.... it has been going on here too.
PRAYING FOR YOU FRIEND!
Thank you LORD for fighting for us!!!
I'm proud of you. Love, Jenny
You go girl! Keep holding on to the truth and take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Cor 10:5). It IS hard...been there too. And I've failed miserably at times. Ok - many times. I'm working on spiritual breathing. Thought I'd share it with you...Exhale self...Inhale the Holy Spirit and His many promises. It's instant. The wind in our sail to move us closer to Him.
I just wanted to encourage you today. Don't remember how I stumbled across your blog. Don't know you. You are giving these children such a wonderful gift of a caring, safe HOME until. If you try to look at the situation through a child's eyes, they are not looking for perfect just to be loved. With that many little ones a little chaos is the norm. God bless you! Ask for help...when you feel like you're sinking. Strangely enough, you are doing exactly what I would love to be doing. Just trying to get my husband on board. Thanks for sharing the reality and how hard it can be including your thoughts, feelings and questioning! Will be sending up prayers for you and your family!:)
I am so sorry to hear this week has been a struggle. Now I feel like a big boob for joking w/ you a bit! In all seriousness, your humility is beautiful. God would not have put you on this path if he didn't believe you were the right one for this role. My prayers are with you.
Jami,I've been reading your blog for a while now, but wasn't sure if you would remember me, and I felt like a "stalker":))HA!! Anyhow, I'm now a stay-at-home mom, but worked as a social worker for 5 years~ working with families with young babies, but also working with CPS/some kids in foster care...Very sad stuff. I think it is AMAZING how you are letting God use your family!!! This is the kind of stuff the family of Christ should be doing...I remember feeling so frustrated as a social worker, feeling like the families needed so much more help than the government programs could/would provide (obviously, God is the only mender of such broken lives).I'm SOO Thankful that you've stepped up~ I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE that you've reached out to the parents. WHAT a blessing to them! I love how you are showing Christ's love in such a practical way. I just had to send you a note of encouragement, because I know your days have to be long and tiresome. Foster care is a messy process...but I'm glad you are choosing to trust in Christ!
Emily (Gerber) (Sarah & Leah's cousin) Nussbaum
Girls - thank you so very much for your words of encouragement. They mean more to me than you know. I feel like you are lifting up my hands and reminding me why we're doing this and WHO our strength is! Thank for your compassion and your grace! And Gina - don't feel like a boob! :) I actually have found some humor already in this crazy mess!! Will post some of that later. You all bless me so much!!
Post a Comment