I think we're settling in to a new normal. I am once again realizing that I am a terrible time manager and have to plan ahead in order to get us all out the door reasonably peaceful and on time.
Our day starts at 7am. Really I should start earlier but I haven't found it in me yet. I get breakfast on and D out the door and to his bus at 7:55. (He goes to a developmental preschool every morning 8-12).
Usually there are at least four out of the six kids who come tumbling out the door to wish D a happy day and wave him off! :)
Then I corral them all back inside and issue commands. Finish eating, brush your teeth, put your shoes on, brush your hair, get your backpacks, etc. and by 8:20 we're back outside waiting for the next school bus which my girls hop on and we all wave them goodbye.
And I corral the rest back inside again.
Then it's time to finish baby B's breakfast, get L dressed, hair done and teeth brushed and on Wednesdays and Thursdays I'm shuffling the other three into the van by 8:55 to take Hudson to preschool.
Three schools. Eeek!
And then it's off to the gym or to run errands etc. Hudson's school only lasts 1 hr. and 1/2 and it's back to pick him up, heading back home, putting lunch on the table. D home by 12:05. Let's eat!
And after lunch - that's when I send everyone outside to play. Run, run, little ones.
Sometimes I'll have them run relays because nap time is coming and they've got energy to burn!
And then (happy sigh), it's 1:00. NAP TIME!!! I can almost hear the choir sing, "Hallelujah!!"
By 1:15 or 1:30 every bedroom is in use. All four little ones are in bed and I sigh joyfully and take a deep breath.
3:30 the craziness resumes but until then, all. (that's the goal) is. quiet.
I have to admit, sometimes I live for nap time instead of finding the joy in the moments in between. I need my quiet time. I need my space to breath. To rejuvenate. To sit with the Lord. To refresh. But sometimes, I get in my head that every time is my time. That is absolutely not the case and when I try to live like that, I am miserable and so are the little people who call me mommy.
I fail more often at this than I wish to admit but I when I deliberately come to the Lord asking Him to open my eyes to my children's needs, when I ask Him to give me joy in the moment, He comes through. He shows me His love in new ways and He fills me with a greater love and appreciation for my kids and helps me make the most of this time with them.
How about you?
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
daily life
Labels: life with kids
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
This sounds so familiar and I only have 3 little ones ;) I just sat down with my Caramel Truffle Coffee with White Mocha creamer.....and every bedroom is in use also. I'm so thankful for these times and so thankful God keeps giving more grace and filling me up again every day.
I am EXHAUSTED reading this!!! Wow.
(I'm with you: live for 1:00 pm.!! I've felt guilty about that too :))
Post a Comment