Wednesday, April 23, 2008

can this really be happening?!?!?

Today I took my baby to KINDERGARTEN registration!!!! It's hard to believe that 5 years have flown by so fast. I have mixed emotions...sad to think about Paige leaving the "nest," worried about negative influences, and yet excited to enter this new phase of life with her.
I truly think she will love school! I am praying that God will bless her with a teacher who she connects with and who inspires her to learn. And for sweet friends.
Tonight, I took the kids to the park before Clint got home. There were 3 high school kids (1 boy and 2 girls) there just hanging around. My girls were very close to them when the boy started singing..."When I have *** with her, I think of you...." I was appauled and kind of shooed them away with my hands, then turned and walked away.......I probably rolled my eyes too....... uhhh and maybe sighed....
I reacted...instead I wish I would have said, "Hey, there are kids here...keep it clean" or something like that.
As they walked away I heard one of the girls say, "What the **bleep** was she doing (referring to me throwing my hands in the air).
These type of things are what worry me about sending Paige off into the world. There is such a level of disrepect among teens and preteens now - not to mention lack of morals, and it is scary. It is crucial that I prepare my kids to know what is the truth and why. I must be informed and ready to stand up for my faith and represent Jesus to others. My kids are watching me: how I react will make a huge impact on how they react.
Chuck Swindoll says in his book "Parenting: From Surviving to Thriving:"
Let's face it; most of us want to be liked more than we want to be upright...Speaking up might label you as someone who's not a team player. Those moments of truth tend to clarify one's core commitments. Genuine core commitments don't crumble under pressure. In fact, they usually grow stronger.
Lord, give me the courage to stand up for what is right. To be prepared by daily spending time with You, getting to know You so that Your characteristics will shine from me. My kids are watching me...may they see You!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Bekah said...

Oh I am right there with you...the more Benjamin is around other kids the more I want to home school him but I also know that I can't protect him for ever...not that that is the only reason people homeschool...it would just be the reason I would. And I hate that at school I can't be there to stick up for my kids. The other day Benjamin was racing with his neighbor boy and the little boy kept shouting at him how slow Benjamin was and how he was so much faster. I finally calmly told the little boy that it is not about winning but about finishing. Anyways, Paige will do great and she will be a light for Christ in her school I know!!!

Anonymous said...

It is sad how older kids have no desire to be respectful around smaller kids. One year on vacation we were mini golfing and there was a lady with 2 little kids in front of us and a large group of teens behind us. The teens were very loud and cussing like crazy. The lady turned around and said "Please watch your mouths I have children here. Why don't you guys go ahead of us." I was so impressed with how calm she was because Kirk and I were casting angry disapproving looks at them but never said anything and I'm sure that my sweet hubby would not have been calm if we had kids. That lady was a great example to me.

Anonymous said...

If you think Kind. Round-up was bad- just wait until her first day! I was a mess, a very serious mess. I still don't even want to send my 2nd to preschool next year. We'll see.
It's scary to send them out. It's a whole new world of raising your children-teaching them how to deal with things they've not experienced(and we've already had TONS of those fun experiences.) (: It has to come eventually, that's the way I look at it. You just have to trust that they'll take what they've learned so far and apply it. And most important, pray, pray, pray! I've enjoyed your blog and little Hudson is such a doll!

Mrs. Hany said...

I live the life of seeing teens in action (I am actually in the process of creating a bubble that the kids can live in until they are married). It can be a bit scary, but then I also get to see the well rounded, sweet teens who parents have obviously done a good job. The best parenting quote I have ever heard was, "you need to prepare you child for the path, not the path for the child." If I teach children what you expect out of them from an early age, they will grow with that into their teen years.

Jess said...

In my experience in working with teenagers is that they truly don't think that they effect others like they do. They don't see well outside of their bubble. And they are used to being belittled by the world for being "stupid kids" so they rarely "get it" if they are put down more. They want to be treated like adults but don't know how to act like one yet. Unfortunately, most of them don't have parents teaching them.

Not that this excuses any of their actions, it doesn't. I would bet if you nicely asked them to talk cleanly around your kids then they might respond well. Then again, maybe not. It might take a strong reaction. The home life of many teens are very sad which creates their outside attitudes.

Paige is going to thrive in school I bet!!! I bet mommy will make it through too!! I'll learn from watching you do it. I bet it is truly hard.

megs @ whadusay said...

Mya has her registraion on Thursday. I am excited, nervous, and sad all at the same time. I can't believe our babies are starting school!!!

Jill said...

I came across your blog through several others, and I love it.. you are very inspirational and you have a beautiful family. I felt the urge to comment on this - my little boy is 17 months old, and like you I would like to keep him in a bubble! It is so scary the way kids talk nowadays - not only teens but other children that might only be a few years older than him. I just pray that I can introduce him to the type of people that he will thrive with and will know the difference between right and wrong.

Erin said...

I think you hit it right on the nose - right now you are still your kids' greatest influence. Stay close to Jesus - seek Him and lay everything at the foot of the cross DAILY. Your kids ARE watching - and that's the best thing to see! This whole school thing has been such a faith-builder for me as well. To know I don't have control - God does - and His grace, mercy, and watchful eye are not bound by school walls or anything out in that big, bad world. And cherish the time together at home - remember "Simplify," and don't be pressured to sign up for every possible extra-curricular activity. There are many "Good" things to be involved in, but remember, there's also "Best." And that's time together as a family. And what a fun time!!!

David and Marianne said...

I empathize with your thoughts and feelings too! It is soooo hard to let our children go and yet have the wisdom to know when to protect too! It is so reassuring to know we have the perfect example of parenting in our Father : )

the schros said...

Jami- thanks for the thoughts, I really appreciate getting a glimpse into your life and having farther-along mothers as examples. even if it in cyberspace. God bless

lifelaughterchaos said...

i feel your thoughts. when i went to orientation last spring, i almost had a sick feeling in my stomach. it seemed surreal.

however, contrary to my beliefs, dakota did not become demon posessed on the 1st day of school.

life does change with school, but it is also fun to enter a new stage of life!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin