Wednesday, April 9, 2008

the little things make the BIG difference



Hey all! Awhile ago I put out a challenge...anyone remember what that was?? It was to read the Bible everyday for an entire year (and really beyond...).
ff
Well guess what???
ff
I missed a day...
ff
It was yesterday and I have no excuses, except to say that I put other things before my time with the Lord. I teach a few exercise classes and every 3 months our entire programming changes. We present the new stuff to the ladies in a launch...always fun but always a lot of work for us instructors before hand!
ff
Yesterday I was feeling the pressure to get all the material learned for my class today. I usually do my devotions during naptime but I chose instead to work on my routines. I forfeited my normal time with God, I just forgot all about it. Stinks I know!
ff
I was reminded today about how important the little things are. I know God is not going to strike me down for missing a day or anything like that...it's just that I missed out! I missed out on time to worship, to learn, to put my life back into perspective and spend time with the One who is my best friend, Jesus Christ.
gg
Not every devotion time is one of "hands in the air" praise, but those times do come in moments I often don't expect them to.
gg
Yesterday may have been one of those days.
gg
I remember a time back in college when I wanted to wake up early and study before class. I got up but felt God calling me to spend time with Him first. That stressed me out a bit because I knew I only had a limited amount of time before class but I obeyed and a most amazing thing happened.
gg
Time seemed to slow down.
ff
After my devotions I started to study. I was able to really understand the material and learn the needed info. quickly. When it was time to leave, I felt prepared! It was a valuable lesson for me...put Him first and He will meet your needs.
ff
So.....have you spent time with Him today? Don't miss out - you never know what He has in store for you!
gg
BTW, have you been keeping up on the challenge? I'd love to hear from you!!

8 comments:

Jess said...

Jami, you always challenge me and inspire me. I was considering not spending time with God today and pealing wallpaper instead. I know dumb sounding, but we have company coming and I want to get it done before I clean the house. But, you have reminded me that Jesus is much more important than anything I start to put before him. Thank you.

Amber said...

I don't know about you other mom's out there but I found myself in a habit of getting online to run through my blogs (and time runs away) and my devotions were an afterthought at night. I had a few weeks it was pretty sad. I love the connection I get with people, but I was missing the most important connection I needed for the day in my time with God.

SO my challenge to myself (and now it's out there) has been I can't blog until I've spent some type of devotion time (Have you heard the radio commercial "no read, no feed?!). There are days, to be honest, I've had to stop mid-through the action of blogging. But I've been learning I can't expect a habit without the intentional.

thanks for the question Jami.

Jami said...

I am with you Amber..I had to come up with the same thing. No blogs until I read the Word.

I have to admit though...there are days when I rush through the Word so I can get to the blogs.

Obviously that is not good either...I'm trying though!!

Sandra said...

Ok, so I did start this challenge January 1st as my new years resolution.....our sunday school class is doing this also so I have lots of people keeping me accountable. Last night as I opened my bible up I noticed I was at Day 100!!!! I sat there and I thanked God and praised him that I have come this far and have enjoyed ever single day. I have not missed a single day yet and I pray God can help me finish each day with a new understanding. The really neat thing for me about this is that before I started this challenge I was slacking on reading....after reading faithfully for 100 days I can honestly say its become a habit and one that I HOPE AND PRAY will never break. I mean, wouldn't it be amazing to think that reading the bible daily without having to challenge yourself could come easily??? Seems almost impossible right now, but if it takes a challenge to do it, then Im all for it. My prayer is that I don't fall out of this habit once the challenge (year) is over with.

Taylor said...

I have been praying for some time now that God would nag me until the guilt was overwheming to get in the word each day. He has been very faithful to do his part, but me....not always so. Some days I have worked around the house so hard that I drop into bed litterally and realize the whole day has passed without being in His word. So I have been trying to read either a psalm or a proverb each day, so that I am getting something....being a mom, and keeping the house going is hard work! But the "Lord is my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in times of trouble." An ever-present help. I love that. God help me to continue to stay in the word!

Mindy said...

I really didn't want to comment on this post, which makes me feel like I need to. I will be completely honest and tell you that I have not done a good job with my devotions. I'd like to blame it all on having a new baby, but I can't. That has a lot to do with it...a lack of sleep and adjusting to a new routine. But the other part is laziness. When I have some free time all I want to do is not think and just relax. So, I decided this morning that I needed to get in my Bible reading early. How early you ask? 6:30 am early! I get up at 6:30 to pump, so I am going to read and pray while I pump. That way I will get my Bible time in to start my day off right and then I can care for my boys, my house and myself the rest of the day. Thanks for the reminder Jami! I will try to do better with this new system!

hoffmanngal said...

Ok Jami - this is weird. Last night I read this post right before I went to bed. I had one of frustrating dreams where I was trying sooo hard to get ready to go somewhere, but couldn't get anything done. Everyone was getting in my way, coming into my room, I was running into things and soooo frustrated! Anyway, in my dream I remembered your post & that I hadn't read my Bible or prayed yet. I knew there was NO way I would have time to do devotions b/c I was already late and still needed to get ready. Well, I chose the better and started reading my Bible. As soon as I started reading, I woke up from the terrible dream. Yay! Thanks Jami for saving me from my nightmare!
Sarah

megs @ whadusay said...

Sarah - that is so funny!

In the devotion department I have been doing okay. I am reading through the Bible in one year and haven't missed a day yet! It helps to have a nursing baby. I take advantage of that first feeding of the day to read my Bible. I only hope that when I stop nursing I won't lose the habit!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin