Yesterday, my mom, sisters, and I went shopping. We were fancy free for an entire day! We visited Starbucks twice...once after lunch and again after dinner (now, that is nice!) and shopped in between! Right after coffee number one, a few purchases, and some girl talk...I was feeling quite HAPPY!
We ended the day tired but excited! Once back at Mom's we layed all of our new stuff out to show each other. That was when I realized that not one, but two of my shirts were the wrong size. (Both of the shirts I had exchanged at the last minute and accidentally grabbed wrong.) And they are from stores 2 hours away!!
I kind of felt like this was a test from the Lord! Was I going to mope and groan about this inconvenience or was I going to be thankful for the other many blessings I was given that day...material and non. I'm embarrassed to say that I've been thinking about those shirts a little too much. One I've had in the washer and dryer trying to shrink! I'm using hot water and hot air to dry...we'll see! :)
All this to say...it's just stuff! Stuff will NOT satisfy...it never has and it never will. It's so easy to get caught up in it though...dreaming about that new outfit, or decor for the home, etc........and yet when you actually get it, it wears out or just doesn't seem as great as you imagined.
How thankful I am to serve the God who satisfies my every longing and need. He is the REAL DEAL. When my hope lies in Him, I will not be disappointed. Praise God for that!
We ended the day tired but excited! Once back at Mom's we layed all of our new stuff out to show each other. That was when I realized that not one, but two of my shirts were the wrong size. (Both of the shirts I had exchanged at the last minute and accidentally grabbed wrong.) And they are from stores 2 hours away!!
I kind of felt like this was a test from the Lord! Was I going to mope and groan about this inconvenience or was I going to be thankful for the other many blessings I was given that day...material and non. I'm embarrassed to say that I've been thinking about those shirts a little too much. One I've had in the washer and dryer trying to shrink! I'm using hot water and hot air to dry...we'll see! :)
All this to say...it's just stuff! Stuff will NOT satisfy...it never has and it never will. It's so easy to get caught up in it though...dreaming about that new outfit, or decor for the home, etc........and yet when you actually get it, it wears out or just doesn't seem as great as you imagined.
How thankful I am to serve the God who satisfies my every longing and need. He is the REAL DEAL. When my hope lies in Him, I will not be disappointed. Praise God for that!


3 comments:
stuff can be Satan's favorite tactic when it comes to me! Thanks for the reminder and hope the shirts can shrink:)!
Thank you for sharing this Jami. You are so right. I've been reflecting on that same thing. Things I was so excited to buy, don't seem so great any more. We are really at a "disadvantage" in the US because we can replace our things that no longer "fulfill" with new things very quickly.
I hope you were very blessed in your relationships with your mom and sister. Sounds like you were!
Amen! So true Jami. About 2 years ago I wrestled with desiring, stuff and finding myself buying way too much. Then the Lord took it from me. My desire was gone and I was relieved. As I realized that it is fun for the moment but it will never quench my soul like Jesus does. It is satan's distraction, as he tries to take my eyes off the Lord...
Hope the shirt ends up fitting....I seem to inadvertently shrink ones that don't need it...
:(
Post a Comment