Today I made cookies with the kids.
It made me wonder if LM has ever made cookies before. You know just the basic things of life that we do, we who have experienced loving, stable families. Like a home cooked meal (though I have only cooked once since we got the boys a month ago. ONCE due to my amazing friends and family who have kept us well fed. We have been so spoiled!) but seriously, think of the kids who have never experienced homemade cookies waiting for them after school or even anyone waiting for them. It's so sad to think about.
But that wasn't really the point of my post.
I wanted share with you the reality of today. Today was the first time I attempted shopping with the kids. Well, actually it was just the 3 little boys but I needed a few things at Walmart, just a few things, so I loaded em' up and went out. We walked into Walmart hand in hand. Oh it was so sweet. Me holding BB, Hudson holding my hand, LM holding his.
And I smiled.
Then we walked in and I grabbed a cart. Put BB (in his car seat) in the big part of the cart. And then grabbed LM to put him in the front. This didn't bode so well with Hudson because he wanted to ride in the top.
I said "no" and he got very angry. When my boy gets angry, watch out.
He fought, he yelled, he hit me. My blood pressure was rising. I was so upset. And embarrassed. He wouldn't calm down so back out to the car we had to go.
Mm. Hmm.
Then we had to go to the Dr. for a follow up on LM's foot. While waiting in the Dr's office, the kids did great. The 'twins' were cute. People smiled.
I smiled.
Someone asked me "How do you do it?" I told her, "It's the Lord. I just try to stay out of the way and let His love pour through me."
And then I smiled again.
Things heated up briefly. A sweet nurse handed me like 5 suckers and I quickly offered one to the boys.
And they were happy. I was happy.
BB was getting tired and started to get fussy. Then they called us back and gave LM a good report on his foot so we could leave. Then BB started crying. Screaming actually. He wanted his bed. A paci helped for a moment, but only a moment.
Blood pressure started to rise again but I still smiled - oh the craziness you know. And I thought now let's get out of here!
Hudson was to be my big helper. He opened the doors. Pushed the elevator button. Well, actually he wanted to push the button - I said sure and he continued to ask, "This one? This one?" The doors were closing and so I pushed it before I gave him a response.
B.A.D. M.O.V.E.
Hudson lost it. Got so angry. Started yelling and hitting me...again. I was trying to grab his hands, to calm him down. BB was screaming. LM was just sitting. Thank you LM!
The elevator doors opened and there were people waiting to get on. BB was still screaming. Hudson was still fighting me, so much so I couldn't get him and the double stroller out the door before the doors closed on the people waiting. Hudson hitting. BB screaming. I was shaking, I was so upset.
Got everyone in the car. Told Hudson "Don't you even think about talking to me right now!!" And off we went to pick up Raegan from preschool.
The Lord helped me to calm down and then I texted Clint about my day. He called me back and I cried.
And cried.
And now, things are much smoother. Though, Hud has lost many a privilege...including the yummy warm cookies that are filling my home was such a lovely aroma. :)
And so goes another day! You know what though. I wouldn't change my life for anything. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that God has called us to this and though some moments just STINK (literally and not so literally...ahem), He has so abundantly blessed me that I can't contain it all!
Follow hard after Him today, my sweet friends!!
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Lest You Think It's All Peachy
Labels: life with kids, our foster care journey
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
oh girlie! You handled yourself so well! I would have been crying WAY before the husband phone call!! Praying for you.
Oh Jami! What a day! I feel for you because I have SO been there MANY times before! Love you friend!
hmmm... should i be feeling guilty now because i couldn't join you today? well... i don't :) but i love you and have to admit this post made me chuckle. you're quite the lady, ms. jami lynn :)
Jadon acts the same way sometimes! Although he hasnt' since a couple weeks ago when I got so angry at his grocery store fit that he rode home in complete silence after a "don't even think of talking to me" comment.
Some friends of ours here who have a boy from Guatemala just a month younger than Hudson said they are reading a book about international adoption that relates children having a hard time regulating their emotions and their caregivers being changed when our boys' were. I know these three-year-old struggles are things many children go through and do, but it is interesting that all three of our boys are doing similar things at similar times. They are going to pass on the book to me and I'll pass it on to you if it is good info.
Hang in there girl! I'll be praying for your next outing! God is smiling at you and how you deal with all the children!
Your honest and real sharing hear is such an encouragement to my mommy heart and will truly encourage all who come and read. Thank you!
I think we are all collectively picture "that" very same moment in the grocery store... Hang in there, lady. At least your day didn't involve an 8-foot snake. ;)
They can't all be good days, right? Meltdowns in public can't be fun to handle and I don't look forward to those days.
Post a Comment