Monday, May 31, 2010

Even When I'm Grumpy

"Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness... The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength. You will be like a well-watered garden, and ever flowing spring." Isaiah 58:10-11

I am continually amazed by the Lord. He is TRUE to His Word!!

This past week was a doozy. My emotions were all over the place. I knew it was coming, it happens nearly the same time every month. Hm. Well, here's the rundown. I was crabby. Easily overwhelmed. Annoyed with my children. Annoyed with myself! In fact one day, I "lovingly" greated my husband home from work with these rather dry words.

"I don't like my children. Not ONE of them."

I believe this was the same day I had previously written a blog post where my last statement was "I love my family!!!" Yes I believe I added three explanation points. I regretted that statement later and even considered ommitting it but then I thought "No I really do love my family, I just don't like some of them right now. And so I kept it.

That my friends is just one little example of how very quickly my emotions are capable of swaying.

It is in these times that I find myself saying things like, "Just GO." "Get out of my room!!" Or when I feel like if one more child touches me or says "Mommy!" again, I might just loose my mind!!

I don't like these times. Neither does Clint. Nor do the children, for that matter. In times like these I hear them saying things like "Why is Mommy being so mean?"

Ahem.

And yet what amazes me is that even admist my most grumpy and ugly moments, the Lord has continued to bless and encourage me.

In the past week, two sweet girls who I don't know personally but who read my blog emailed me with words of encouragement and one who also offered me some clothes for my boys!! I've had other friends, just this week offer to babysit for us as we clean and paint the new house (we're closing on the 14th!). One of these friends also just offered to drop me off a starbucks tomorrow!

I'm telling you, I am overwhelmed by the love the Lord has shown me through His people. We have been so supported, cared for, loved, and served ever since we started fostering.

Just tonight I found out we may be adding another committment related to fostering which makes me have to take a deep breath. More committments. More driving. More scheduling. That can get wearying and yet I know that the Lord will continually nourish my soul because He has always done so.

He is ever so faithful. He abundantly blesses obedience! He overwhelms me with His love and with His joy; He truly delights my soul!

Is he is calling you to a deeper place of faith? A place where you will be stretched? A place where you fear you might even break? Follow His Lead. He will guide you and not only that, He will nourish you along the way. He is absolutely true to His Word! Don't miss out on His BEST for you!!

4 comments:

J Gutwein said...

Thanks for your honesty... My friend Sara H. often tells me when I share with her my bad attitude at times that I would be a little strange if not feeling some of it negatively at times. I always appreciate this. Love, J

Mrs. Hany said...

Jami,
We are praying for you. I just love your ability to be transparent. These are the type of words that teach (which is obviously a gift of yours!). You are touching the lives of so many by being obedient and honest.

Laura said...

Jami, You really inspire me in all that you do. I'm a mom of 2 kids (3 and 1) and hope to either be able to have another or adopt. You inspire me to keep trusting in God to provide for my family either through a healthy pregnancy or to finance what we can't figure out how to (because He can!). After my first child was born, my hormones sent my mind for a loop one day a month. I was lucky that it was only 1 day, but that one day, I couldn't cope. I told my OBGYN and also told her that I didn't want to always take medicine. She told me that I could take an anti-depressant for 3 days, one day before I got upset and then two more to cover my bases. The medicine did not take away the yuckiness of that day, but it did give me back the ability to choose to act in a more positive way than I was. I know that some people have a problem with taking anti-depressants (I'm a pastor's wife and some people told me how wrong I was to take it), but the way I figure it is that God gave us doctors to help us and my behavior was not acceptable. God didn't want me to act the way I did, and this helped. If you need help, there are options! You can talk to your doctor and see what options are possible for you, if you need to! If you don't need it, I understand that, too! It is tough being a girl during that time of the month, and getting older and having kids doesn't relieve that toughness at all!! And even when we aren't in that time of the month, things can throw us for a loop and days are hard, and that doesn't mean that we need outside help at all...that is life! But, if you happen to be someone who might need help, I just wanted to let you know that you aren't alone (and it doesn't have to be forever! Those lovely hormones keep on changing!).

Samantha @ the Listener's post said...

Hey - thanks for reminding me that I'm a normal mom. Sometimes when I hear those comments from the kids ("why is Mama being so mean?"), I feel like the worst mom evah. I still hate it - but I'm glad to know I'm not defective.

Love you girl! You're amazing!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin