Monday, May 3, 2010

Slowing Down in Walmart

Tonight I went out to Walmart all. by. myself!

That was nice.

What wasn't nice was that it was nearly 9pm and I was quite tired.

What was nice was that I had spent 2 hours prior at Panera all. by. myself! I am putting together a talk that I'll be giving to a group of Jr. High girls and their moms on Friday. If you think of it, will you pray for that. Pray that God will speak His words through me. I'll be talking about seeing others and ourselves the way God sees us.

Now, back to Walmart.

I was standing in a line that was moving incredibly slow and so I decided to move to another aisle.

After 10 minutes or so, with two people in front of me, I was feeling rather restless and frustrated. The cashier was moving very slowly and I knew I had chosen the wrong line again.

Or so I thought.

As I got closer, God moved my heart for this cashier and I asked her how she was doing? This poor gal had no skip in her step. She seemed burdened down and very tired.

She told me she was dealing with a lot of shoulder pain.

As I watched her move items across the scanner, I winced as I thought of her shoulder. And then she had to move my 12 pack of diet green tea with mixed berries (which I just looove by the way) but she visibly winced and I said, "I am sorry!!"

"I still gotta do my job," was her response.

As I waited for my receipt, I leaned in and told her, "I'm going to pray for your shoulder tonight."

Her eyes opened wider as she said, "Well my name is Kim and I pray too. So if you pray, I have another prayer request for you."

She proceeded to tell me about how her husband Troy and her were struggling in their marriage and headed for divorce. "It's hard on both of us. Not just me. Both of us."

As I was ready to leave she asked me my name and told me she would pray for me too.

Wow. Thank you Lord for slowing me down tonight, for again showing me that every person is special in your eyes. Everyone has a story. Kim is a unique child of Yours. She is loved. She is cherished by You and she is hurting today, physically and even more so emotionally.

Thank You Jesus for giving me eyes to see sweet Kim as You see her and please bless her! Transform her marriage. Heal her shoulder and fill her with Your abundant joy!


9 comments:

Leslie Ringger said...

very cool, jami lou :)

Melissa said...

praying for her, too. thank you for taking the time to ask her. you never know, you may have been the only one to care about her all day.

Mary said...

Isn't it crazy how sometimes just taking a minute to ask how someone is (and actually care) can change your attitude? What a very sweet thing you did!

emily freeman said...

I love the way you listen and respond to the voice of Jesus. What a great example of your 'seeing ourselves and others the way God sees us' talk :)

Kristy said...

Wow, you are just becoming the body part prayer warrior! ;) I am SO thankful for you & for your love & compassion for others, Jami! I'm humbled by how you are always allowing God to use you in the most amazing ways! THANK-YOU! And we will be praying for you Fri night! Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Divine encounter!! Awesome! Jami, you inspire me to be a better person. So glad you are my friend!

Love you!

Jill

Bananas and Damask Interiors said...

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm glad God was able to use you. I'm going to pray for her too and I'll pray for your talk! What an honor to speak to others with the words that Christ has for them.
Blessings,
Anna

teresa said...

so special how you allowed God to bless you and your new friend. guessing that she thinks of you as a friend since you encouraged her heart.

dawn said...

way to go--thanks for sharing your story with us. I often look at the folks who serve us in all of those everyday ways and wonder their stories...it would be a good practice to pray for each one as I wait in line. hmmm...i'm going to try to remember that.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin