Monday, January 14, 2008

thinking back...

Today for some reason - I started thinking back to before Clint and I were married. I liked him for a few years before we got engaged. For those of you who don't know - Clint and I never dated! We knew each other very well....we hung out together in groups as friends, even were involved on a mission trip together but we never one on one dated...well until after we were engaged! :) We also never shared our feelings for each other...with each other.

So go back about 10 years:

I was struggling because my heart had changed for Clint...before I thought of him like a brother - but somewhere along the line of our friendship, God changed my heart and I realized that I was falling in love with the man! Fortunately, God had done the same in Clint's heart! :)

Our friendship changed for a time because instead of feeling comfortable around one another...I especially started feeling awkward. I questioned whether Clint liked me in the same way but I didn't know for sure. I prayed over and over that God's will would be done...that my feelings for Clint would go away unless I was supposed to marry him.

I was looking through some of my old journals. Here is a glimpse of how I was feeling just 3 months before Clint asked me to marry him! :)

I need Your grace, Lord...I've been focusing on Clint a lot lately. I want to see him. Tonight a bunch of our friends are getting together and he may be there. I got so excited when I first thought he might come. When I think about him, my heart kind of sinks. I don't want to be thinking about him like this. Help me not to get so wrapped up. I want to be surrendered and in Your will.

To some of you, the thought of not dating and then jumping into marriage sounds crazy but we belong to a church that encourages what you could call "group dating." My parents got married the same way and so did theirs. I drew so close to the Lord during that time of not knowing and surrendering my will to Him. I praise God that I got such an AMAZING man who I love more today, nearly 8 years later!

4 comments:

Jess said...

That is such an amazing story! God was obviously at work!!!!

On another note. . . . <2 DAYS!!!!!!!!!!

-Jess

Taylor said...

Love your story. I love hearing about how people came together. So sweet!

Holli said...

You guys must be CRAZY! Getting married and never dated! Only Crazy people do that!:)!
Just Kidding! It really does work!:)
Heres to 7 years and about 50 more to come!

Anonymous said...

Jami- One of Luke's co-residents asked how he proposed to me in front of a group the other day -AWKWARD!!!!!! :). We are coming up on eight years too, what month was your wedding? I remember those long days before getting married. Amanda Ward Meister can probably remember the day I came crying (literally) into our apt. because I could not catch up to Luke on the sidewalk walking home & then I was not sure I wanted to, etc... Praise God I am where I am-hehe. -J

Blog Widget by LinkWithin