My life is busy...I'm not alone in that sentiment I know.
Lately - I've been encouraged by my man to take a hard look at what I'm filling my time with and cut out some things. This is hard for me to do. I am realizing that in many ways - I feel like I have more value when I am involved in this or that.
It's easy for me to identify myself with certain things and then not want to give them up because of pride or fear that I will lack purpose if I do. Something that really hit home with me at She Speaks was the fact that I have a lot of pride in me.
Ooooh that hurts to say...or does it. Actually it is quite freeing.
I've always been pretty open about my struggles - in some ways I've taken pride in the fact that I admit to my, well pride. Pathetic I know.
I'm trying to be more vulnerable. Trying to really listen to God and obey His still small voice. When I have - I've experienced Him in amazing and new ways and I've been so blessed.
Here's an example: When we first arrived at She Speaks - P31 speaker, Luann Prater told us about the prayer room. She strongly encouraged us to go and spend some time there. The P31 team had been praying over each of us who would be attending the conference.
On tables in the room were the names of God listed on pieces of paper. Around these were little slips of paper with each one of our names on them. The P31 team had placed each one over a Name of God.
I was quite curious to see where my name would be placed. On Saturday I decided to go in. I had seen many women come out crying and I didn't really feel like it! My heart was pretty proud...I wanted to see my name but didn't feel the "need" to spend much time in there.
It took me awhile to find my name but when I did - I was a little disappointed. I wanted this moment to be big like "WOW, Lord I totally know what you're saying to me."
My name was placed over the verse that dealt with false Gods and how He is the one true God.
I decided to take a seat and talk to Him for a bit. As I did - He said (not audibly of course)...Jami, are you you're own false god? It took be aback and I was about to figure that out when a P31 volunteer walked in and gently said - "If anyone wants me to pray with them, I'm here."
I caught her eye, smiled and then looked down - thinking "I don't need her to pray with me. I know my issues..." But again I heard my Lord softly say - Ask her. You do need her. Humble yourself and allow someone to bare your burden.
So I did. I looked up and said "I'd love it if you'd pray with me." She came over and asked what was going on in my life.
It was at this point that the floodgates of my tears opened wide!
I told her how I do feel this desire to speak but I'm so concerned that I will get in the way. My struggle was how do I KNOW that God is calling me to this as opposed to me just wanting attention, etc. She prayed with me and I walked out of there feeling very blessed.
This is something I still struggle with, but I do feel more certain that God has placed this desire to speak in my heart. He will use it for His glory and not for my own. It's not about me.
I really want to be used of Him in small and big ways, with one woman - sharing heart to heart or with a group. Whatever He has planned - I'm ready. Lord stick with me though, okay!
What has he put on your heart today?

7 comments:
Hey Jami-
Man, can I relate to that struggle. Not only do I fear my pride getting in the way because I want attention or exposure, but I also fear it getting in way on the other side of the spectrum by doubting so much that I can't be an affective speaker (obviously you know this is the side I'm dealing with the most right now).
Last year at She Speaks they gave us a little card with some words about what it is and what it isn't all about. I still have it posted right next to my computer, and I thought I'd share it with you:
It's about Personal Growth - not Perfection
It's about Experiencing God - not Exposure
It's about Helping - not Hoarding
It's about Obedience - not Opportunity
It's about Calling - not Comfort
It's about God - not Glory
I typed it up on a little business card and take it with me to speaking events. It has really helped to ground me by reading it right before I go on!
Hope this is an encouragement to you - let's be in prayer for each other about this struggle!
Love you,
Sam @ theListenerspost.
Thanks for being open about this Jami. I think so many of us can relate. I feel I'm in my own way so much of the time that I'm beginning to walk in circles with myself, like ring around the rosy...only not so sing songy.
It takes so much effort and energy sometimes to go there...to that place of vulnerability and laid bareness. I had a hard time with that this weekend. I sensed a struggle between my own desires and passions, God's desires for and towards me and my own feelings of inadequacy. In the midst of that, it feels risky to say "Okay Lord. I can't figure this out." But I think we are always better off when we come to that place of saying "I can't...and He never said I could." (I'm quoting Major Ian Thomas here) "He can, and He always said He would."
wow. wow. wow. this is so me. although i am not God (I just needed to write that to remind myself) and I truely don't KNOW what He is calling you to...I truely do believe He has specifically given us the desire for such things. Where we fall short is how WE think He wants us to use this desire. He may have given you the desire to speak so that you continue doing what you are doing (with your youth and all)...but so often we say, "no, no, no! not that....I want more".
Ok..I'm starting my own post here. I will end with, I truely believe He specifically placed the desire in you. Our job is to be humble and be open to using that gift no matter how small it may seem.
Girls - thanks so much! I have to say that after I laid it all out there...I started to freak out like what did I just say?! But your comments really encouraged, validated and challenged me!
I love you girls! :)
Sam - I love that "card" you shared with me. It really brings clarity to what I'm struggling with and gives me something to focus on. Thanks!
wow, thank you for your transparency!! i struggle with pride something awful. even when i write a post on my blog i ask God to check my motive to be sure that it really still is just another journal entry and i'm not looking for accolades! yuck!
i love that you humbled yourself and asked someone to pray with you, i don't know that i could have done that.
thanks for sharing this.
sheryl
I love what Sam wrote.
And I am working on this along side of you, Jami.
xo ~K
I came across your blog via Lysa's link list. You were so open and honest--God uses that to reach not only you, but others! Thanks for your sharing1 God bless.
Post a Comment