Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The girl with the sore toe

Have you ever seen the movie Anne of Green Gables? Anne was a firery and dramatic redhead who won over the hearts of the people in their small little town of Avonlea. She also got herself into a lot of trouble because of her temper.

s

We often joke that we have our very own "Anne girl" in Raegan. Raegan is oh so dramatic and she keeps us hoppin' for sure. Lately, when she knows she's in trouble she tries talking her way out of the situation.
d
Here's an example:

Me: Raegan, you disobeyed. Come here now.
sd
Raegan: (with much dismay in her voice) "Mommy, but I love you. I love you so much! I just want you. My tummy just hurts. I can't breathe. I need a bucket, I'm going to throw up. My toe hurts. It does, it hurts really really bad. That's why I can't do that. I'm just a little girl. Little girls don't know how to obey!"

s
She is FULL of emotion and personality. She brings a lot of joy and laughter to our home but she also causes us to shake our heads in dismay at times.

s
Today I found two stories about Raegan that I had written down over 2 years ago. She would have been 2. Reading them just made me laugh so I thought I'd share them here too.

s
At our family cookout this year, Raegan had a falling out with Klint (not her daddy Clint - our cousin's hubby). She grabbed a camera from a hay bale and when he saw it, he quickly intercepted (grabbed it from her).

s
She looked up at him and with all that she could muster said, “NO!

s
Then in fun, Klint said “YES!.”

s
Again, and with more passion she said NO!! and he repeated “YES!!” back at her.”

s
Her lip even trembled and she stood tall and raised up her chest too! After a few of these exchanges, Raegan started wailing and fell to the ground in utter disappointment and travail!

s
She is not afraid of anyone – no matter how much bigger they are then her. Oh, our little Anne girl – what are we going to do with you?
s
h
Yesterday, Oct. 30th I took the girls out on errands. We went to three stores and Raegan threw at least one tantrum at each. Rough day! Then at the grocery store, while checking out – I overheard some ladies talking about my Rae.

h
One said, “But she is so cute, though.”

s
Though?!!

s
Then I took away the chocolate chips that Rae was holding, which caused her to fly into another fit of outrage and I heard someone say, “oh now she’s mad again.”

s
AGAIN?!!

s
Were we being followed, had they been at another store with me previous?? At the time, I was just exasperated. Now it is quite funny! Raegan, the stories we have with you.

s
After Raegan settled down a little, the checkout lady in the next line waved hello to her and with an angelic and sweet voice, Raegan waved back and said “hi!”
s
That was Raegan at 2! Now she's 4. In just 9 short years, she'll be a teenager!!!!
c
Lord, have mercy! :)

7 comments:

Klint said...

I'll never forget that day with Raegan! She is such a cutie as long as you stay on her good side... ;) You have such a great family.

sarah.flyingkites said...

Great post, Jami!

I remember that night when she told Klint 'No!". I seriously couldn't believe that a tiny little 2 year old would be so confident and not scared of an adult. It was SO funny!

I am sure you and Clint have a hard time punishing her without laughing sometimes!

Love the picture too - she is such a little doll!

Taylor said...

Honestly, she sounds like a carbon copy of Morgan! This is why i waited so long for the second one!!

Sara said...

She sounds so much like our first child, who is 9 now. I just tell him that I hope he has a strong-willed child just like himself that causes HIM to pull his hair out!

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

I love it!
:)

GREAT job writing it all down so the stories can be remembered!

smw said...

it sounds that you definitely have your hands full. the kind of full that can be funny, if only we can keep that perspective as parents. (which i generally can't) :(
~shar

Kristy said...

Oh man, I remember that 'exchange' with Klint, too!! Too funny - Oh Rae...you make me smile! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin