Monday, January 19, 2009

To fear or not to fear? That is the question.

Happy Monday friends!!

This weekend my two sisters and I had the privilege of seeing Lysa Terkeurst speak at a women's conference. Lysa has been gifted by God to reach the hearts of women. Her talks always speak to my heart and make me want to draw closer to Christ!

God was glorified this weekend! Praise Him!!

Lysa challenged us not to let fear rule in our lives but rather to keep our eyes on Christ. She went on to say that when we focus on our fears, things become magnified and distorted. In those moments, it's easy to become overwhelmed and even paralyzed by fear. But when we focus on Christ, HE becomes bigger and our perspective changes.

He loves us more than we can imagine and He knows the number of our days. He is in complete control and for this I am SO thankful!!!

I was so blessed by her talk. I definitely can struggle with fear and I have experienced that feeling of being so completely overwhelmed by even the thought of something horrible happening...especially to one of my kids. That thought is truly more than I can bare.

So why do I go there?

Christ says that he will give me grace to endure whatever trials I may face. And He is faithful. I find so much comfort and freedom in the fact that HE has a plan and that nothing and no one can thwart His plan.

So do I trust Him, or not?

Clint and I are leaving for Florida this week. As excited as I am to be with my man (and I'm really excited!!) I always feel apprehension when leaving my kids - especially when we're flying.

But I am going to claim the promises I heard this weekend. With God's grace, I am not going to focus on my fears. I am going to trust that God loves me and my kids more than I can imagine and that He has our best in mind.

Whatever His best is...this is truly what my heart longs for.

Today, I am committing to focus on Him. To fight the temptation to fear. Lord, give me grace!

Enjoy your day today my dear friends! I am praying that you too will find your peace and grace in our Lord and Savior. Let's look UP today!!

3 comments:

Kasey said...

Thanks for that reminder, Jami. Sometimes I can be overwhelmed by the fear of becoming a first-time parent in a foreign country, so far from the support of my family. But I know God is with me here and he has blessed me with supportive friends, and He will provide.

On Purpose said...

I love the Winter Edition picture at the top! Now you have yourself some serious fun while in Florida!

sarah.flyingkites said...

Jami,

Tonight I am supposed to lead a short devotion at a get-together. It didn't know what to do. I even thought, 'I wonder if I could find anything on a blog.' I then decided to go with my favorite chapter, Psalm 46 (all about fear). Since fear had been almost constant in most of my life...I thought it would be easy to talk about.

When I read this post, it really encouraged me! I appreciated your thoughts on 'fear'!

Thanks. PTL!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin