Thursday, January 22, 2009

A very interesting encounter indeed.

Tonight Clint and I went into Borders to look for some books. I'm excited to say that we left with 2 good reads.
d
Jon and Kate plus 8 - need I say more?!

And "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan
On our airplane today, I was listening to a Christian radio podcast interviewing Francis Chan about his new book. I knew immediately that I wanted to read it! Francis challenges Christians to live an authentic, SOLD OUT life to Jesus Christ.
d
While I was looking through another book, a young man walked up to me and handed me a card. At first I thought he was giving me a tract so I smiled and said thank you. But he kept standing there so I looked a little closer. This is what I read:
d
"DEAF EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM
d
Please pardon my intrusion, but I am a DEAF - MUTE trying to earn a decent living. Would you help me by buying one of these cards.
d
Pay whatever you wish...
d
THANK YOU AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ALL."
d
So what did I do?
d
I looked nervously at Clint and then I started leafing through my purse. We were both kind of surprised by the whole thing and it was quite awkward.
But in the end, this young man gave me a smile and wave walked away with my $5.00!
d
We didn't expect to experience this in a Naples, FL bookstore....no we didn't!
dd
Later I saw him walking over by the coffee bar. Hmmm, just wondering if I just bought my young friend a coffee??
d
Honestly, I'm not sure what to think about it.
d
What would you have done??!

9 comments:

Taylor said...

I would have done the same thing and left it in God's hands. I believe our part is to help others when given the opportunity, it is up to God to deal with (or judge)their response!

emily freeman said...

You have such a sweet heart, Jami. If I didn't know sign language, I would probably done as you did. But as a sign language interpreter, I would have bopped him upside the head and signed "HEY DUDE! What are you doing making deaf people look helpless! Stop it!" Then I would have taken all his cards and threw them away.

People in the deaf community and interpreters alike hate those stupid cards, especially because they say 'mute' and that is pretty politically incorrect these days. And not true. But whatever.

They know that hearing people are uncomfortable when they can't communicate or explain why they don't want to give any money. So they play off that. And honestly, some of them don't know better. Just so you know, there are lots of thriving, successful, smart deaf and hard of hearing people out there making a fine living without selling cards. I just hate that a few make the whole lot look bad.

Jami said...

Emily - thanks for your insight.

I think maybe we'll head back to Borders with cards that say:

"HEY DUDE! What are you doing...."

:)

And by the way, I LOVE that you are a sign language interepreter. Back in college I thought about doing that - didn't...but thought about it! :)

Flamingo said...

i'm anxious to hear if you like the book...i love the show.

your lysa terkeurst conference doesn't sound down my alley. i NEVER struggle with fear :) lol

Jill said...

The same thing happened to me at Meijer a few weeks back. It took my by surprise too. I did the same thing, gave him some money and then I got a sign language pamplet which Haley loved using. I think she "signed" things for the next week ;-)

Have fun in FL!!

Kristy said...

It's a tough call these days! You don't want the person to walk away chuckling to themselves...haha, I got another one to fall for it! But on the other hand, I have a hard time turning anyone down for fear if they REALLY DO struggle in life & are being honest about it! When I think about what Christ would want me to do, I think He would want me to be willing to give (even if it's small) and take the sacrifice of embarassment or ridicule. If they WERE dishonest, that's between them & God! I guess take the chance & give a little. (This is easier said than done...I haven't been in a situation like this for a very long time!)
And I hope you have a GREAT time in FL!!

ps...too bad there's not spell check for the comment section - I could've used it this time! ;)

L, Ann and boys said...

I hate stuff like that. I want to do what is best for the person asking and never can really tell what that should be.

Ann

Twyla said...

I had someone come up to me at Walmart a few months ago..same deal only he wanted me to buy a key chain..I looked at him and said out loud ..are you serious?..are you really deaf!..no joke..that was my reaction..he acted like he was..so I gave him some money and told him to keep the key chain..and prayed that God would have His way in that experience...:) I think I will learn sign language..it would be helpful.

Tami said...

considering that i never have cash, i probably would have showed him my empty billfold and then felt terrible about it the rest of the day!
emily, thanks for the insight!!! i loved reading your comment.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin