Hi friends!
My first adoption related speaking engagement ("gig") is coming up! February 7th I'll be speaking at an adoption fair. My topic - "The New Addition: Preparing your family for adoption."
I've been working a lot on this and fortunately feel like it's pretty well wrapped up BUT I thought I'd ask you, my bloggie friends if you have any suggestions.
Basically - is there anything you would want to know about this topic? If you were coming to this workshop, what would you expect/hope to learn or glean from it. I'd appreciate any feedback you want to give.
Most importantly, I'd really appreciate your prayers. As Feb. quickly approaches I am beginning to feel nervous!
It is my prayer that God will speak through me - that He will tell me what to say and that His message will touch hearts.
I pray that I can give encouragement and practical help to those who come whether they're simply considering adoption, in process, or on the other side of it.
I'm thankful to have this opportunity! May He be glorified!!
Have a grand ole' day today because you know, it's FRIDAY...whoo hooo! :)
Friday, January 30, 2009
It's coming up!
Labels: my speaking ministry, The Adoption Option
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
Jami...this may not be relevent at all, you would know better since you've adopted, and maybe this isn't something you'd address since you got Hudson when he was pretty young, but if I adopt some day, I'd be interested in adopting an older child (3-7 yrs. old)...are there different challenges in preparing your family for an older child than bringing a baby into your home? there may not be...I've always just wondered.
I'll be praying for ya!
I know He will speak through you! Remember to share your story...cause its the only one thats written on your heart by Him!
Love to you my friend and prayers up to Him!
Jami, YOU are going to do GREAT!!!!!
I remember when we brought the boys home that you and I talked about different smells being a part of bonding that no one ever mentions. Like once we got used to eachothers smells it seemed like we were bonded to the boys better.
Mostly I think the more you can warn parents that it is not going to be peachy keen when they come home, the better. It's still wonderful, but never perfect. Bonding is a serious, and important thing to focus on. I think we could have been more lovey and patient with Jadon when he lost his foster mother. If someone had warned us that infants and babies do have an important mourning process it would have been easier for Josh and I at the very least.
I wish I could have learned from you before adopting. You have so much wisdom to share already!
Really wish I could be there! I know God will lead your topics and I pray that it goes well.
i will pray for you! so excited to hear about it.
i think the one that used to be in my mind was that only "perfect" families/parents would be called to adopt. oh how i know that's not true!;)
Jami, This is so exciting! The first one will always be the hardest, so I will keep the 7th in my heart for you. God will bless.
Karin
Good luck Jami! I will pray for you!
Hmmm I recall our first pannell of adoptive parents as we sat in the audience eagerly asking questions. Honesty is always the best policy even if it hurts. Family and friends often won't say the honest truth so it's important that you do. Esp. since you've been there. If they can handle the truth about the trials and tribulations of adoption along with the joys they'll be better prepared. I'm forever thankful to my agency for being honest about the good, bad and ugly. Most of all I'm so happy to have my little Yaya. Prayers are on the way but I know you'll do great when speaking from your own heart!
I read this post the other day and I had a million questions, but no time to type them. Now that I have time, I can't remember what they are! Rats. I totally agree though with the others, the more honest you can be, the less pressure the parents will be under to be perfect. Cause it won't be.
Post a Comment