Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Rest of the Story...for now!

Hello, hello! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to finish this story...at least as much of the story that I can finish. I apologize for the length but there is so much happening right now! Let's get to it.

I left you when I was sitting down to do my Bible Study. If you haven't read the first part to this story, you may want to click here and then here.

Here we go.

The title of my assignment that day was "For Such a Time as This." I was quite intrigued and excited to see what the Lord was going to say. And as usual, he blew me away!

This is what I read (written by Beth Moore). "We can refuse to walk in obedience to God or cower in fear from our calling and He will undoubtedly still accomplish His agenda. As for us, however, we will pass up the fulfillment of our own entire life-purpose and we - and perhaps even "our father's family" - will miss a mighty work. Frighteningly, perhaps even a mighty deliverance. One of our biggest obstacles in our most important moments "for such a time as this" is the difficulty of the destiny - serving task." (emphasis mine).

Earlier that day, my dad had called me to tell me he just watched a segment on FOX news talking about adoption of WAITING CHILDREN out of foster care (which is free, or very low cost, by the way.) My dad is the president of an orphan care ministry and told me that I needed to look into this because this could affect more than just our family, maybe this is something the ministry needed to become more involved in and He asked me to see what I could find out about it.

So later, when I read "even our father's family..." I was like "wow".

And, I continued reading. "None of our purposes will be fulfilled easily. All of them will require the most difficult decisions we think we can make. Decisions that we may feel will practically kill us. Then God does something miraculous and we become something we're not. That's when "who knows" becomes "I know."

Okay, okay, okay. I have to rewind a bit again.

The day before I called our social worker (from our local agency) and explained to her how God had been changing our hearts and wanted to ask her several questions about adopting waiting children out of foster care.

When she asked me if I was thinking about a child younger than Hudson. "Oh no, not necessarily" I told her. "Is that even possible?" To which she replied, "Who are you??" (Our SW has been with us since we first started the international adoption process to get Hudson more than 3 years ago. So she knows me well!)

"Actually, I have had in mind a little 6 year old African American girl. This is kind of silly but do you know of a 6 year old AA girl who needs a family??" (The night after God reminded me "It's not about you," I just started thinking of a 6 year old little girl, in fact Hudson woke up in the middle of the night and she came to mind immediately - which is why I asked our SW the question.)

Again, she asked "WHO are you??!" I just laughed and told her, "It's not me, it's God."

So back to what I was reading. Remember what Beth wrote, "Then God does something miraculous and we become something we're not. That's when "who knows" becomes "I know."

Friends, God has done some major heart changing over here. By this point, Clint and I both felt certain that God was steering us in a different direction than we originally thought.

We are committing to walk in obedience and follow Him every step of the way. So, what does this means for us now?

It means we have talked to our agency (Lifeline Children's Services) asking them to put our profile on hold. We are stepping out in faith - closing a door, in a very real sense to the possibility of adopting an infant and are now pursuing adoption of waiting children.

(Waiting Children are those who are "legally free" - meaning they are currently available for adoption - 129,000 children in the U.S. - 129,000 children who have NO one to call Mommy and Daddy).

Saturday, November 21st.

Up until this point, I hadn't really looked online at pictures of waiting kids. In fact, I didn't quite know where to start. But on that Saturday, after waking up from a nap, I decided to do a little searching. Earlier that day Clint and I discussed the possibility of adopting a sibling group.

The conversation went like this.

Me: "Clint would you ever consider adopting a sibling group?"

Clint: "I think so. Sure."

Me: "I think so too.... But not more than 3, right?? I really don't want to drive a big van!" (ahem)

Sooo, with that conversation in mind, I entered into the search box. Max. # of kids: 3

And with the little 6 year old girl in mind, I entered: Max age of child: 6

Then, I started looking at pictures and reading profiles. It was then that I saw an African American sibling group of 3.

6 year old Girl
5 year old Boy
4 year old Girl

And, friends - I haven't been able to stop thinking about them!! As I read their profile, I kept thinking, they seem like MY kids.

I called Clint, who was out on an errand and said I found kids on the Internet. He said, "Did you discipline them?"

Realizing he thought our kids had gotten on the computer, I laughed and said, "No, I found KIDS on the Internet.

"Oh I thought you found OUR kids," he said.

"Maybe I did." I told him.

"They are 6, 5, and 4." To which he said, "Oh dear...." But after seeing them, he said, "I see why you're thinking this."

AND NOW...

Clint and I both feel peaceful and excited to pursue adopting these kids. We have taken initial steps - like inquiring about them but haven't heard anything yet.

We realize that this is a very big deal. We realize that these kids have been through a lot and it would likely be a difficult transition BUT we also realize that IT IS NOT ABOUT US. And, that as long as we follow where the Lord is leading, we don't need to fear.

We are trusting Him. We are following Him. Just walking through the doors that open in front of us. If He leads us another way, we'll change our course. But for now - I am hopeful, prayerful, and really excited about the possibility of these kids being ours. And that my friends, is not me. It's the work of God in my heart!

And our kids are hopeful too. They understand that this means we would not be getting a baby and they want these kids to be ours.

So, the adventure continues. I have no CLUE what's ahead, but I do KNOW the One who does and I have total confidence in Him!! Please pray with us and for these three kiddos who I have quite simply fallen in love with.

Would you pray that they would be protected physically, emotionally, mentally. That the Lord would prepare them for their forever family. That they would be adopted into a loving Christian family....hopefully ours.

This is my prayer!

Thanks friends! I love you all!

23 comments:

Amber said...

Jami - I've thought of you often these past weeks. So much of your post makes me think of several conversations these past few weeks with Ryan as I've been "filling" him in on where you guys are at with your adoption.

I've often wondered out loud to Ryan if this is where God would take you and, as you know this is where our heart (me specifically) has gone several times, have wondered if we'd get to reap the wisdom of your journey (and we already have long before all of this!).

So reading what you shared about "for our Father's family . . ." made me so excited. For you guys. For us. And for so many others. Someday when we get a minute, I'd love to talk more. God's been talking to my heart so much too with all of this lately. At times it's easy for me to feel fearful for all the unknowns and what if's of the dreams God can put on my heart . . .and seeing you both run to God with open hands builds my faith.

continuing to pray.

Blessed Mommy said...

wow!! so super exciting! God's plans are always so much better than ours. My friend just completed a foster to adoption of a sib group of three - and altho there have been many struggles the blessings have FAR outweighed them!!! can't wait to see all God is going to do!!

Bekah said...

wow and wow! the waiting child list has always made me sob and i always wonder if that's because the Lord is preparing me for a journey such as yours. i'm glad you and Clint are paving the way with such grace and courage. oh how i do pray that this precious group of 3 would be adopted together. they have shared in each others suffering and they will get to share in each other's joy. the spirit He has created in each of you is a beautiful, beautiful thing. prayers are with you...

Holli said...

STANDING WITH YOU IN PRAYER!!!! God has gone before you and will lead you and them home!
To God be the GLORY!!!

Sissy said...

What a way to step out in faith! I applaud that trust and long for it myself. If you don't hear anything soon, call back. You never know what's going on in Foster Care!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a story of faith! Thanks so much for sharing.
~Alissa

Jennifer said...

This is awesome~~~He is so amazing and thankfully we trust Him enough to guide the way.

Praying for you and your family,

L, Ann and boys said...

129,000-3 is huge. Amazing. We'll be thinking about you all and you will be in our prayers over here at the Schafer house.

Carrie said...

Jami,

Your blog keeps me excited about adoption all the time and your steps in pure faithfullness. I had a thought that when we brought our son Moses home just this past September that maybe we were done, but then I read posts like this and something stirs in me that maybe not. I do know that my next plan is to figure out a way to stay home before I bring any more children home, but I am extremely excited for you and am praying for your family.
Carrie
www.stammfamily.blogspot.com
www.promiseinethiopia.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Wow Jami- huge wow. And amazing. God works in so many ways, and it's so evident He's moving mountains here. I just love it. Way to be open to His plan- hang on, He's taking you on a wild ride for sure. Praying for you along the way!

Mindy said...

Wow Jami! What a story! I was so excited to see this post come up! I agree with Amber's comment " see you both run to God with open hands builds my faith." Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us so we can learn along with you!

I also think it is fantastic that you would adopt a sibling group so that a family can stay together - what a blessing that will be for those kids!! I'm sure that's one of the biggest prayers on their hearts is that they won't get separated.

Praying for you!!

Laura said...

I popped over to see how things were going, after seeing you at the BM conference and wow~ prayerful for you and your sweet family!!!!

Rebekah said...

We will definitely be praying for you guys and the whole process...what an undertaking! May God give you wisdom and courage to do His will.

Love ya,
bek

Jess said...

Oh Jami!! My jaw is on the floor!!!! God is AMAZING!!!!!! WOW!!! You know, it doesn't surprise me at all, but it is so exciting to see where God is leading you!!!!!

I'll keep praying!!

On Purpose said...

You and your journey are SO beautiful. I can see Jesus' personal signature all over you! I love you my friend...and can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Ashley Baner said...

I feel like next you will say something like, "Um, now we are feeling led to live in Zimbabwe" or something! What an amazing and unforseen journey! Later in Beth Moore she will say, "Sometimes God asks you to say to the mountain, "MOVE!!!" Other times you are asked to walk around or over the mountain. Or sometimes, God will just split that mountain down the middle and then tell you to just walk on through to Him!" (Doesn't that sound just like her) I feel like that is what He is saying to you. He has prepared a path and asked you to seek after that and now is starting to show you the route he would like--which seems to be RIGHT DOWN THE MIDDLE OF HIS WILL!!! How exciting!! If you keep this up, you are definitely headed straight for a big van! :) I really can't wait to see where this journey will lead you!

Leah said...

Praying for your family and the 3 siblings who are waiting for their family. May God continue to guide you in this new journey and that if you are supposed to be their mommy then God WILL make it happen.

Unknown said...

We'll definitely remember you in prayer. It's interesting, God has been pushing the same thought to my mind as of late... the waiting child. So much so that we are actually going to highlight the waiting child at the conference this year. We're going to have a "Waiting Wall" with pictures of children here and all over the world that are waiting. Praying God open more and more hearts to the children waiting : )

Marla H. said...

Neat! We'll continue to pray! We are going to miss being with you tonight! C-ya soon!

Smileyface said...

Jami....
Super excited for you and just wanted to share that God has been putting this exact same thing on my heart too. Went to National Orphan Sunday and heard Lysa Terkurst speak. We are just waiting to hear more from God but once again I'm amazed how God keeps confirming over and over every which way we turn. And amazed when my Mom told me today, Laura you have to go read Jami's blog and where God is leading them!
Wow....thank you for sharing. Would love to have coffee some day!
Blessings!

Lindsay Bauer said...

Jami, can't wait to talk with you more on Thursday. I did the Esther study earlier this year and it was amazing and life changing. We weren't asked to live an easy life but a purposeful life! I live by that motto now and see so many moments in my life that make me say "at such a time as this"...these are all in part of my journaling on the adoption "situation" for me and my family. When I first had the vision 9 months ago the first thing I thought of was "at such at time as this? Really? I have a 4 month old and now I am to adopt?" Cool...can't wait to talk!!!

smw said...

this is definitely a big deal. we'll pray that God will work clearly!

Flamingo said...

oh my gosh jami!!!!!!! i can't breathe! it is taking me incredible control to not read your next post without commenting!!

regardless of what happens you have inspired me with your open heart.

ok...tears. i don't know why i have tears:)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin