I will pick a winner at random and announce that on Monday’s post! Whoo hoo!!
Several months ago, I read Susie Larson’s book, “The Uncommon Woman (which by the way I’m giving away today!!!) and I was so convicted of my sin of gossip. I realized that I had been justifying the way I talked about others to Clint because he was my husband. I called it venting and did it often.
Susie says, “Jesus beckons us off the “low road of gossip and insecurity and to a higher place of holy confidence and humble dependence.” Not only was I convicted of my sin, I was grieved by the way I had talked about people to others and to my husband.
The Lord has impressed on my heart that there is nothing okay about gossip, nothing.
Here's just one of the many scriptures about that. "Sometimes it [the tongue] praises our Lord and Father and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!" James 3:9-10
I often thought or spoke critically of others because I was feeling insecure.
I'm learning that I will never find security in the positive opinions of others, true security and peace come only in accepting that my worth and value comes from Christ.
d
When we really begin to understand just how much Jesus loves us, our insecurities begin to disappear. We become less concerned with what others think about us because we know that we are treasured by a very personal God who created us for a purpose.
Susie ended every chapter with a declaration to the Lord and I was inspired to declare to the Lord DAILY that I would not gossip. To me it is different than just saying, “Help me not to gossip, Lord.” When I do that, in my heart there is room to be like, “Well, I might mess up.” But when I declare to the Lord, I will NOT, there are no excuses.
Because I am choosing not to speak critically of others, my life is changing!
Christ is filling me with His love for others. I am learning to cling to Jesus when I feel hurt or frustrated. I am learning to lean on Him in a new way and because of this, I am falling more in love with Him!
It is still a battle, a battle against flesh and spirit. I still have those times when I REALLY want to go “tell” Clint or when I care too much about what others think, but it is getting easier because my heart is changing. And that is only the work of the Lord, my friends.
f
It’s amazing to experience.
Have you seen the movie “Lord of the Rings?” If so think about Frodo with the ring, think about how he so desperately wanted to put it on. When his focus was on the ring, it almost overpowered him, in fact sometimes it did but when he shifted his focus he was able to continue on.
d
He was able to carry out the purpose of his life – to destroy the ring.
I believe this is how it is with us and sin. When we focus on ourselves or on what we’re giving up, it is extremely difficult if even impossible to obey the Lord.
f
But when we shift our focus to Him, we access His power to change us and we are able to carry out the purpose of our lives!
d
Dear friends, the seemingly small, everyday choices we make will determine what kind of life we live.
Do you struggle with controlling your tongue? Have you found yourself speaking or thinking critically of others.
Where do you get your security? From the good opinions of others or from the fact that you are loved and treasured by the Lord Himself? You are His beloved, my friends!!
Will you REFUSE to travel on that low road of gossip? Will you commit today and tomorrow and the next? Please friends, let’s do this thing together! Jesus is calling us; He’s calling you and me to step up and walk the high road. Let’s do this!!
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Another Giveaway!!
Labels: life lessons, my speaking ministry
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Thanks for the gentle encouragement in regard to gossip. Much to think on and I was blessed to read your post this morning. Thanks for coming along side me in my Christian walk of life and helping your sister in faith. Blessings to you~Marie
I just read chapter 1 of that book yesterday (again) and was reminded that I am completely accepted by God exactly as I am. Very profound and freeing! Obviously don't enter me in the drawing. :)
I have been working on this as well. It think it is easy to justify b/c it is our husbands we are talking to. I think they then form negative opinions about others that are unnecessary. If we speak well of people, our dear husbands start to have a better perspective on others. It is a little scary how much control a loose tongue has!!
Wow!! Double Wow! If I can get convicted from reading about this book on your blog I am a little nervous about actually reading the book...this might sound crazy but this might be a giveaway I am a little 'nervous' to win. Like a good thing that will hurt to be good...does it make sense! Thank you my friend for being a woman after Gods heart that sharpens us and encourages us to not settle for the worlds standards of okay...but to go deeper with our God! I love you!
What a great reminder- I really need to get this book. I can see what a difference it has made to you. Thanks for the encouragement/ call to something better!
Great encouragement Jami! Thanks for sharing with us. It sounds like a great book that I could really benefit from.
Great post. Wisdom is something we attain over a lifetime of making decisions that reflect God and his glory (or not making). Like the song "Slow Fade" says
"And thoughts invade, choices are made,
A price will be paid, when you give yourself away,
People never crumble in a day."
Gossip is a choice. Let's choose Christ!!!
Jami,
Very well written... I was speechless (very had to do to me) after I read you post and just had to let it sink in. I re-re-re-re read the post as to not forget the words. Thank you for boldly sharing your thoughts and doing them in a way that does not chastise but encourage.
K
Very cool...I love your give aways just for the book references alone. I purchases the "When women say yes to God" and have just begun the book.
Thanks!
Hey Jam - I guess I was just meant to check your blog tonight, as it's been several weeks. I would love to be entered to win. And, I really appreciate your post...I needed the reminder to not be critical of anyone but myself! =) Love you dear friend...
Post a Comment