Tuesday, April 28, 2009

A Life Changing Experience: Part 2

Hello friends! If you didn't read Part 1 and want to get caught up - click here.

When I sat in quiet moments with the Lord, I knew that teaching to men would compromise my standards and He had something better for me. He was saying “Wait.” So I said yes to Him and no to the job offer.

It was through this time that I began to really believe that my life was not defined by what I did for Christ but rather that Jesus Christ defined my life. I began to more fully understand that purpose comes not from trying to do for Christ but rather true purpose and fulfillment comes from living an obedient, closely connected life with Him.

My worth and value is not based upon what others think of me, what I think of myself, or even what I think other’s might be thinking of me!

As Susie Larson puts it in the Uncommon Woman, “People are not what they do…they are someone He enjoys. In big things and small things, amidst productive seasons and desolate ones, whether surrounded by loving friends or hostile enemies, we are His treasure, and that never changes.”

When I live with the awareness of just how much Jesus loves me and that He treasures me simply because I’m His, my perspective changes.

I began to realize that I didn’t need to be in the “spotlight” to share the love of Jesus with others and I decided that I could still connect with and encourage the women who I took classes with. God helped me to see people as His beloved and I started praying for those who just weeks before I had been so critical of.

As God continued working on my heart, I started to really enjoy the new gym and got to know some great women. I truly felt peaceful with where I was at and more importantly I felt so loved, so valuable, and so treasured by the Lord.

Now that's a great feeling!!

4 months after my gym suddenly closed, I got a call from a former co-instructor. She and another former instructor had just purchased my old gym and were reopening it - for women only.

That very day I actually got 2 calls to speak and the opportunity to teach again. I was overwhelmed and wasn’t even sure what the Lord wanted. Since Clint wasn’t home yet, I prayed that his response whether positive or negative would be the confirmation I needed to make the right decision.

When I told him, he was incredibly positive! I think his words were something like “Well, that’s a no-brainer. Aren’t you excited?!”

I am happily teaching again but I realize now that teaching doesn’t define me nor does speaking for that matter. I am not defined by what I do or how I look or even what others think of me. Jesus Christ defines me, period. And it’s when I live with this truth deeply embedded in my heart that I am never more free.

It was through a death of sorts that I was able to experience the love of Jesus in a more profound way. Though it was difficult at the time, I now can say that I wouldn’t have it any other way because I know Him more today than I did before and oh how I love Him!

Jesus Christ loves you. He calls you and me his “prized possession” in James 1:18. He wants you to experience His love everyday and it is possible, my friends! Look for Him today. Ask Him to speak to you.

Ps. 147:11 says “The Lord’s delight is in those who fear him, those who put their hope in his unfailing love.” He wants us to live in obedience to Him – trusting Him enough to do what He wishes with our lives. His plans are ultimately better than ours and we will find no greater joy and peace in life than when we’re living out His best for us.

Whether we’re walking through a time that feels like a death or enjoying the mountaintops right now – let’s not go through this life alone. Let’s stay connected to the Source of Life.

Today I’m giving away Lysa Terkeurst’s book, “What Happens When Women Walk in Faith.” God has used Lysa and her writings to draw me closer to Him so I'm so excited to give this book away today! I’ll choose a winner from the comments left after today’s post and post the winner on Friday!

Here’s a few of my favorite quotes from her book.

“Remember this journey will be a lot less about the places He eventually takes you and much more about the relationship He establishes with you along the way. He wants us to communicate with Him every day through every thought, every step, every victory, every defeat, every question, and every assurance.”

“Our heart must beat in tandem with His. The only way for that to happen is for us to constantly take our dream to Him with open hands and willingly declare, Yours. Yours. Yours!”

“The important thing is not what you do for God but rather that you come to know and believe Him along the way.”

“The enemy to having a great life is to simply lead a good life. A life where you seek comfort and ease above growth. A life where you avoid the risk of taking chances with God.”

16 comments:

Kristy said...

Thanks for sharing! I love Lisa's books but haven't read this one yet.

Marie Stork said...

Your writing is always so moving to me. Thanks for sharing.
Marie

Ashley Baner said...

I love how you are so honest about your experiences! You are encouraging to us all!

L, Ann and boys said...

Thanks for the post. Enter me in the drawing too. =o)

Ann

On Purpose said...

For when we live in His presence He will change us...and change by Him is always good. Thank you for this post today Jami! I just received my copy of Uncommon Woman in the mail yesterday...I am even more encouraged to read this book after reading this incredible post. Just so you know....your life changing experience and how you shared it has spoke very deeply to my heart today...thank you for being a real woman of God living life with Him in the everday!

Amy said...

Jamie...You said you may have built it up too much, not so! What a testimony to who He wants us to be and the process he sometimes uses. I LOVE that scripture from Psalms. It is hard to not misplace our "Hope". LOVE being instructed by you. A true gift from the Lord God.

Blessings, Amy

Mindy said...

I loved that last quote from Lysa! That book sounds really great!

Anonymous said...

What a great post, Jami! Thanks for brightening my day and making me think a little deeper!

Sandra said...

thanks for your post today and yesterday. Its so neat to see how God works in people's lives.

Flamingo said...

OOH. i'm so glad i had a few minutes, i mean seconds to check in. i love lysa and i really, really want to read this one...although i don't know how much more faith walking i can do today! lol

Jess said...

Oh Jami, what a beautiful post and a wonderful experience! I knew of those events in your life, but we hadn't had the chance to talk about all this. God is so so sO SO GOOD!!

I've been reading a book lately that seems pretty "convicting" but really I think it is more critical and harsh, not love based like I believe God is. It's been ringing in my head how much more effective it is to bring children around to obedience through love instead of through harsh criticism. I think I hear God telling me that is how he is. Our minds seem to hear harsh words and criticism from God, bringing shame upon ourselves thinking that's how we will change. Instead I think God is whispering words of love, wooing us to turn around to him.

Right now, with all of our limbo, God is definitely wanting me to learn to find him in the little things, in the small moments, moments he is whispering love to me.

Thanks for your post. After reading in the other book this afternoon then struggling with self condemning thoughts the rest of the day, it is just what I needed to read your words of encouragement and the words of the author.

We need to talk about St Louis!! Can't wait to get the ball rolling!!

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sissy said...

I needed to hear these words and that verse Jami. I am so tense waiting for our baby to arrive and the enemy is stealing my joy. It is not a fun place to be and I don't want to submit to it. Pray for me, please.

Carmen said...

Thanks for sharing God's work in your life. It's always encouraging to see God at work in other people!
Carmen R

Leslie Ringger said...

i'll take the book please thank you very much! :) great two posts jamilu

Blessed Mom said...

Thank you for sharing. I needed to read this today. We are facing some tough decisions and I need to be reminded that I need to stay connected to God

Blog Widget by LinkWithin