Monday, April 12, 2010

The Craziness of it All

I am learning a lot about myself through this process of fostering. I must and I mean must become more structured. The kids have been here for one week and I want to give you a glimpse into what our transition times have looked like.

Every week our boys go to meet their parents at our agency. The assistant caseworker comes to pick them up from our house and I pick them up from the agency. So the day came for the first meeting. The caseworker arrived at our home at 8:20 only to find Little Man still in his pj's while I was still trying to feed him oatmeal! Baby boy, on the other hand was in his car seat feeding himself a bottle. And I was frazzled....

Great first impression, huh?

Fortunately she was quite nice about it all.

The next day Raegan had preschool. 10 minutes before we needed to leave our house, LM was still in bed asleep and BB needed a breathing treatment, food, and a bottle!

And I? Well I was feeling rather frazzled!

I called my dear friend who graciously came and picked up Raegan for preschool! Thank you Lori!

And then there was today.

I planned ahead ((applause)) that Paige would take the bus so that I could let the boys sleep in because Clint and I were up quite a bit through the night with them both. 10 minutes before (hmmm, there seems to be a pattern here) the bus was to come, Paige was...actually ready, teeth brushed and everything!

Then I innocently picked up her bag and noticed she had an unfinished assignment sitting there. Just staring at me. It was not a little assignment. It required a lot of coloring and drawing and my girl is not a quick "color-er". She adds details. Little details. Stick people are not her thing.

And so, I told her I would take her to school so she could finish her work. (I now realize I should have allowed her to face her own consequences but I didn't - it is hard being a mom and making those tough decisions, you know). Anyway, while she worked - I barked orders at the others.

And yes, I was frazzled. Again. Time was slipping by at a rapid pace. Then I decided that we were just going to be late. Again.

Raegan was still in her pj's - that was fine. LM had not shoes on - no problem. We all hustled out to the van at 9:10 am. School started at 9:00 am by the way. I called the school on the way to tell them we were late. The secretary informed me that all first grade classes were testing until 10am so Paige would not be able to go to class until 10:00! And so I turned around and headed back home.

At 5 till 10:00 we all loaded back in the van. Raegan was still in her pj's, LM still had no shoes and off we went. Again.

I pulled up to the school. Opened the car door and out piled my children. Raegan in her pj's and LM with no shoes. We were quite the crew, let me tell you! I explained to the secretary that we just added two children to our family last week and were trying desperately to figure out how to get out the door on time. She was kind, thankfully! I kissed Paige and herded the rest of the crew out the door.

Mm, hmm.

Tomorrow looks brighter, I do believe! :) I have a new plan. I will be a new woman! Well that's the goal anyway! :)

9 comments:

On Purpose said...

Grace my friend! Allow it 'dump' all over you and then live in it. You are an amazing woman...and you will get the rhythm...and just think those two little boys you welcomed into your family...they don't need a perfect momma with a perfect schedule they need love and grace! Praying for you my friend and knowing He is doing great things in you and through you!

(and thinking how crazy my life would be if I even added one to the mix...that might run this world out of grace..>HA

Mrs. Hany said...

We will be praying that you "find your groove!" You are doing as God has instructed you to do, that doesn't mean being perfect, pulled together, and on time to everything. Do you think when you stand and the gates of Heaven you will be asked if were on time to everything? I can't say for sure, but I do know that He will be more interested in where your heart was, and in this case, your heart is in an obedient place! Because I work outside of the home I HAVE to be organized and scheduled, if I don't it just doesn't work. I have found that there is freedom within a schedule, I have excel sheets of where/when I need to be with wake up times. Another trick I use is setting everything out the night before, this include outfits down to the socks and underwear and hair accessories and they are laid out in the front room with backpacks etc... If you need any weekend help I am always around for anything you need!

Hannah's Mom said...

Oh Jamie, I totally understand! I am a structured person by nature, but when we added one more child to our family, it totally threw me for a loop! And that was only one...not two. I thought adding a child, rather than a newborn, would be an easier transition. After all, I was actually getting sleep at night, and I didn't have to take hours out of my day to nurse him!

However, looking back, I now see that there definitely was an adjusting period of adding a child to our family. Just as when you add a newborn, there will be a time when you will be unstructured and when you feel frazzled.

It is even harder to add foster children. because not only do you add children to your family, you add all their appointments to your schedule, and they have a lot!

I will encourage you with this...eventually, you will get in a routine, and you will adjust to two more kids. However, it won't happen overnight, and it may not happen quickly. Cut yourself some slack, and cut back on other things temporarily. We had to back out of some committments just to make more time for our new child and his adjustment.

We're praying for you! Keep looking to Christ! He is faithful!

Leah said...

Grace for your day my dear friend. I have no doubt that you will find your routine and time soon. You are doing an awesome job!

Kathy said...

Oh Jamie! Those days can be maddening! But hang in there my friend! You will find that routine, it just takes some time. You are doing GREAT! Praying for you guys!

Anonymous said...

This post made me laugh, Jami!!!!

I say just keep taking the kids to school in pjs and no shoes. Pick your battles, right?

Who knows, when your kids look back at these years, they might say, "Hey, remember when Mom used to cart us around with just our pjs and no shoes on? Wasn't that SO fun?!"
~Alissa

Flamingo said...

be kind to yourself...2 extra is ALOT to adjust too. i felt overwhelmed for a few weeks with just 1 extra.

i am sooo exited to hear your plan. you know i share this strength/weakness...whatever way you want to look at it! :) i am feeling very convicted about structure.

Lord help us both!

Kathy Schwanke said...

This is a story of grace. It made me think of Paul...I will glory in my weaknesses that His power may rest on me... 2 Cor 12:9

Not by might, not by power, but by my Spirit says the Lord.

The most freeing truth in chaos!
Blessings Jami! I will be sure to say a prayer for you for the morning!
<3

Jami said...

What encouraging friends I have! You made me laugh and I feel so blessed! I love you all!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin