Thursday, April 1, 2010

Big changes for our family!

Nearly 2 years ago, we began the journey to adopt an infant from the U.S. What an adventure it has been!

This journey has truly been an emotional roller coaster ride but I honestly wouldn't have traded this experience for anything. God knows what He is doing. He is always faithful! He's drawn me closer to His heart than I was before. He has taught me that He alone will meet my needs. He's spoken to my heart and reminded me that "It's not about me." He's taught me that He is bigger, bigger than my fears and because of that, I am not afraid to follow Him wherever He leads. And He has filled my heart with compassion for the hurting, for the fatherless in a whole new way.

Back in November, God opened our eyes to the 'waiting child' (the more than 500,000 children in the U.S. foster care system.) We fell in love with 3 little children who we only knew through a photo from adoptuskids.org. We sought out information about them, we contacted their social worker several times, and were ready to adopt them when again God said, "Wait."

We signed up for foster parenting training classes and began to understand the great need for foster parents. Our original intent for taking these classes was to adopt kids from foster care. Adoption only, but again God changed us. Clint and I are now both passionate about becoming foster parents. We will always have a heart for adoption and if the Lord calls us to that, we will gladly step forward but for now we want to minister to families. Our focus is on reuniting children with their parents. We realize that this will be emotional, difficult, and challenging but we also realize that it is not about us.

Clint and I have been so blessed, both coming from families who were loving, safe, stable, and who loved the Lord. We have been given so very much and now it is our privilege and call to serve others who are hurting. Those who need someone to support them and love them, to show them how a family is meant to function. We know we won't do this perfectly, we will mess up, make mistakes, and feel overwhelmed but GOD is bigger than all that.

He promises to go before us and behind us. He will lead us every step of the way. Isaiah 58:11 "The Lord will guide you continually, giving you water when you are dry and restoring your strength. You will be like a well-watered garden, like an ever-flowing spring."

I take great comfort in His word. And I am continually affirmed and reaffirmed that this is His plan for us. He cares for the fatherless, for the hurting child, for the "least of these" and He calls us as Christians to care for them too. I'm not saying you are called to be foster parents, but maybe you are. There are other ways to serve - big ways, small ways, however He calls you.

Monday, March 22nd was our final foster parenting class. Within the week, we got a phone call about a sibling group who needed a home!

We left for vacation the day after and will be returning on Saturday. Two days after returning home, we will be adding TWO children to our family!!!!

I can't give specifics but I can tell you that we will be bringing a 3 year old boy and his 7 month old brother into our family and we are so very excited! We will be fostering these boys with the intent to reunite them with their family. If God opens up the adoption door later, we will walk down that road then but for now, we are focused on reunification.

I am incredibly excited and yet I realize that I am going from having 3 children to 5 children in one day! There are going to be a lot of changes and everyone involved is going to have many emotions to deal with I'm sure. But I'm also completely confident that the Lord will be here every step. He has led us to this point and He will take care of us all!

We would appreciate your prayers and we are so thankful for your support! So here we are, on the edge of a brand new adventure! Thank you Jesus!!

15 comments:

Holli said...

PRAYING!! That is so exciting!!

Mindy said...

AWESOME!!! So excited for you guys! You will be fantastic foster parents! It is such a neat ministry to reach out to these boys and I know you and they will both be blessed!

J Gutwein said...

Congratulations & praying for you. I think I will be doing a post highlighting some of my friends who have started fostering & whom I so thankful for. Let me know if this is not okay and I will redo the post. Love, J

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness Jami!!! Awesome News!!! Love your post! Thoughts and Prayers FOR SURE! xo

Alyssa said...

So excited for you Jami. I will be praying for your family and for these precious boys!!!

smw said...

we'll be praying for you guys!

Christi said...

wow... praying girl.. praying a lot!

Alesa said...

wow jami! we'll definitely keep you guys in our prayers!! maybe we'll see you this weekend...? love you!

Sissy said...

Babies! I'm so proud of you and know you will be awesome at this!

Shannan Martin said...

This is something that has really been on our minds lately, too. What a calling! I can't wait to hear more about the journey...

Flamingo said...

oh my goodness jami! i'm so excited for you. yea, 3 to 5 might throw ya for awhile. actually the baby thing is what is going to throw you. i'm so excited to see what God might do with your family!

Jami said...

girls thank you so much! yeah, "flamingo" I'm thinking we're all going to be thrown for awhile but we're ready. ready as we can be. :) so thankful we are not alone! thank you Jesus!!

Janell said...

Exciting news. Exciting journey. Faithful God!

Amber said...

Jami,

Trusting God in the transition and in the details - and praising Him for your willingness. These boys don't need perfection, but Jesus. I'm confident that on both the good and bad days that they will see and learn of Him.

We'll be prayerful!

Kathy Schwanke said...

Jami, what an adventure you are on! I pray the Lord will bless your faith as you embark on this part of your journey!

I will pray. God bless your family as you serve Him!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin