Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Thoughts From A New Foster Mama

I have a lot on my mind this evening as I think about the future. As foster parents our goal is to reunite these beautiful, sweet children (who have become a part of our family) with their parents. It is easy to say that this is our goal and yet my heart is already saying "noooo!" and we are only 32 hours in. Imagine saying goodbye to these babies after one year....which is the likely amount of time we will have them in our home.

I love them. I loooove them and yet this is why we are pursuing foster care. We want to - no scratch that, God changed our hearts and has given us the desire to minister to families not just children - to families. We have an amazing opportunity to be Jesus to LM, BB AND their parents.

I have been praying for supernatural love, supernatural strength, and sacrificial love as we care for these kids and support their parents. Tonight we talked with LM and BB's mom. I was very nervous but let me tell you, the moment I heard her voice, I felt such compassion for her. I love her too and I did feel a connection with her. God is faithful! Tomorrow I get to meet her and their dad face to face. I can't wait and yet I hurt so badly for them.

After that phone call, the Lord renewed in my heart the desire to reunite these boys with their parents. I just pray that their parents will not just meet the minimal parenting standards but that their lives will be transformed by the power of Jesus! That they will be changed forever and be able to be the mom and dad that God intended them to be. It is possible!! It is possible through Jesus. To think that we get to play a role in this...it just takes my breath away.

And yet, I know that this journey, this road we are walking is taking us to very vulnerable places. We have opened up our hearts to these little guys. We are loving them as our own and yet knowing that the goal is to give them back. This is why I so desperately need HIS sacrificial love to overflow in my heart! He can take care of my heart. I can trust that.

And so we press on. It has been amazing so far! My house has been turned upside down, my life has been turned upside down and I am so very thankful!! Praise Be to God!!

What has he laid on your heart lately? Is he asking for more from you. Trust Him enough to take care of you...no matter what He asks of you. Step out and trust. Free fall into His arms, He will never let you fall!! Oh how I love Him....and I love you too! Stand strong my friends! Today is the day!

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Praying for you, the kids, and their parents, as you start down this foster parent road. Good luck! I pray also for the caseworkers and agency you are with, that they are placing these kids and caring for them as caringly as you... many prayers your way!

LInda Schuhmacher said...

Dear Jami, SO VERY HAPPY for you & yet I can totally understand how you are feeling this very moment.I wrote the other day but it didn't display & ran out of time to rewrite. Those same emotions came over me 27 times in 11 years. It was bittersweet to have to retire this past Feb. from Foster Care, but God filled our home with 5 beautiful children that became Schuhmachers. I just seen another blessing as I read your blog we retired & you begin your journey. Please now I am here if you need a ear to chew on. Blessings to you all!!!! Linda :)

SuperMomma said...

One of the songs that weighs heavy on my heart for our baby's birth mom is "mighty to save", especially the line "Everyone needs compassion, a Love that's never failing....everyone needs forgiveness, the kindness of a saviour...."
Praying for you all!

Kathy Schwanke said...

What a high calling Jami! I love to see God's grace weaving your story together. I am delighting in watching His plan unfold, and your faith grow strong! May He fill you with great wisdom and strength as you journey on with Him.

I wish I could come visit you and hold the babies!

I will be praying for you and your family and the new family which you are intertwined with now...

There are sure to be difficult adjustments to make, but the LORD goes before you, and strengthens you for the task.

God bless you and your lovely family!

Jess said...

Your heart about this is just incredible Jami. Thank you for being honest and sharing every step of the journey.

Bekah said...

We will most definitely be praying for you guys and I will definitely be praying for your kids' hearts. My parents were foster parents when I grew up. We fell in love with one little boy and had him for a year. (The other children were in and out of our home more quickly.) We all wanted to adopt him and I can still vividely remember the night he left. I was only 4 and my siblings were older and it rocked our world. My parents had a lot on their hands dealing with 4 majorly grieving (and sometimes angry) kids. I am so thankful you all have stepped out into this most needed and vulnerable place to be Jesus to this family. His love and His grace are sufficient and he will see you through. Hugs.

On Purpose said...

You are SO beautiful my friend...you are shining Jesus! Prayers will continue to be lifted for you, Clint, and all those precious children in this journey. And for the parents of these two little guys...knowing that God has GREAT things in store for them too!

Sue Heimer said...

Dear Jami,

Thank you for sharing you foster journey with us. I am praying for you!!

J Gutwein said...

Thinking of you.. they are adorable. Love, J

Blog Widget by LinkWithin