Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Who's the mommy?

Sometimes, I forget.

I find myself frustrated, flustered, and working a deal with my children. Then all of a sudden I realize...WAIT UP - I AM THE MOMMY! I am the boss, you are the child!

I love being mommy to my 3 kiddos and I take my job very seriously. But sometimes it is just plain hard! Life with 3 kids (5 and under) is physically demanding but also emotionally draining at times. It is also incredibly joyful and fulfilling! I don't want to just get through...I want to make the most of this time. Paige starts Kindergarten next year - I want to savor this time I have with her now. I want my kids to know how special they are...just how much I love them. I want to instill in them a love for others. I worry when I see them being so selfish..."well she got 2 pretzels and I only got 1 1/2" (*tears*). But then I look at myself and see how much I need to improve in this area as well!

I must remember the balance between being the authority but not being authoritarian. Yes, I am the boss, there are rules to be followed - but showing mercy is essential as well! I also have to remind myself that my children are just that, children. Sometimes, I fall apart emotionally (hard to believe I know!) :) - so why do I expect them to control themselves in every situation?

Today I was reminded of the importance of our words. Our bible study group is doing "Parenting: From Surviving to Thriving" by Charles Swindoll. In it, he told the story of Benjamin West (an amazing painter during the time of the American Revolution).

On day his mother went out leaving him in charge of his little sister, Sally. In his mother's absence he discovered some bottles of coloured ink and began to paint Salley's portrait. In the doing so he made a very considerable mess of things with ink blots all over. His mother came back. She saw the mess, but she said nothing. She picked up the piece of paper and saw the drawing. "Why," she said, "it's Sally!" and she stopped and kissed him. Ever after Benjamin West used to say: "My mother's kiss made me a painter."
hhhhhhhhh
Our words affect our kids, we can either inspire them to succeed or discourage them. Lord, may my words be sweet today. Full of encouragement and love. When my kid's love tanks are filled up, they are so much more receptive to correction and instruction. Help me to remember this always!
hhhhhh
Do you have any stories to share of how someone's words affected you - either positive or negative? Let's learn from each other!

6 comments:

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Precious post. Thank you for the gentle yet convicting way you presented this.

So sweet.

Leslie Ringger said...

i remember a certain high schooler who, instead of brushing off her little sis' whining about jr high friendships, took the time to read and pray with her. sounds like grace to me, jami-lou.

Jami said...

You guys are so sweet! Leslie -you almost made me cry!! :)

Leslie Ringger said...

success!

Taylor said...

So true Jami...I am always very careful of how I say things to my daughter b/c this was so very true for me growing up with my mom. I often try to explain that our words have a powerful impact to Kyle too as he is correcting Morgan. Sounds like a must read book - I just need advice from you and Megan on how to get it read!!!

lifelaughterchaos said...

wow! I really, really struggle with this. I am so quick to criticize and see the mess instead of the painting...I love the story you shared...thanks for the reminder!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin