Thursday, July 10, 2008

the Son shines through

Praise God not all days are like yesterday!
f
Today Paige had to get immunizations. Fortunately Clint came along. I would not - I repeat WOULD NOT have made it without him. We were there for one hour. The kids did good for the majority of the time.
ff
But then came time for Paige to get her shots. She became nervous once we sat down in front of the nurse and then she TOTALLY LOST IT when she felt the first prick. The poor dear still needed 3 more shots and she was freaking out. Clint and I had to trade places because he would be more able to hold her still.
Oh it was awful, horrible, heart wrenching, tramatic - well maybe that's a bit dramatic but it was sad.
ff
Finally, after what seemed like an eternity it was over and she came out completely fine. For her efforts, she received a certificate for a free cone at McDonalds from the nurse.

This girl forgot all about her previous trama and announced to the the entire waiting room, "I GOT A FREE CONE, a free cone at McDonalds. We walked past the receptionists and she showed off her new treasure.
She proceeded to show her certificate to her swim instructor, a mom, a pool staffer, and whoever she could fine. When no one was around, she just boldly and gleefully proclaimed her treat.
I decided to take the whole gang to MD's for lunch and play. It turned into a marvelous morning!!
As we were leaving, Paige asked why the nurse had to hurt her with shots.
"Paige, sometimes we have to go through pain to keep us safe from other things that may happen. Sometimes, we must go through pain in order to receive a blessing that we wouldn't have experienced if we had never faced the pain in the first place.
ff
Had there been no shots today, there would have been no McDonalds."
As I spoke these words to her, I felt convicted and comforted by them.

Why is it that we so often run from pain. Well, I know why I do. Because I'm often too short sighted. God sees the big picture.
ff
He knows what promises and blessings await us on the other side of our struggles.

I specifically think of our adoption. I definately have fears about the emotional pain, I may experience if things don't go as I hope they will. But I'm continuing to trust. God has a perfect plan. He sees the Big Picture. Help me Lord to keep my focus on you!
So how about you?
ff
Some of you may be right in the middle of a painful situation or just struggling with doubt or fear. I would love to pray for you. You can email me specific prayer requests at clintandjami@gmail.com if you want. God bless you all!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Great post Jami. This really hit home for me. It seems like being a parent really teaches you a lot... maybe more than we teach them. (Just guessing since I'm not quite a mom yet)Since we are about to be parents I have had lots of worries about the future and it was so good to be reminded that this new phase in life is going to be a huge blessing. It is so easy for me lately to allow Satan to make me stress about stupid little things and totally ignore what I know to be true. Thanks for helping me knock Satan down today.

Angel said...

Good lesson. One we all have to remember. It's tough. Angel

Sandra said...

It seems like only yesterday when i took elijah to go get his "kindergarten" shots. I got tears in my eyes watching him have such a tough time. He was crying and somewhat out of control it was tough to hold the boy down. Would have been nice for him to get a free cone....(from the office) but I did go get him a treat as promised before hand. Poor babies....sometimes its just not so fun.

Pamela (His maidservant) said...

It reminds me of how simple those days sem compared to the teenage girls I am raising now. I could use LOTS and LOTS of prayer in this Jamie. Going through a rough spell here. Thanks!!

In His Graces~Pamela

Sheryl said...

Wow, great post! I love what you said to your daughter, especially sometimes we have to go through the pain to get the blessing. How true that is. What a great mom you are to be able to turn that into a teachable moment.

I know the pain of my circumstances right now will bring blessing. I cannot run from it, so I am waiting patiently (NOT) for the blessing.

-Sheryl

On Purpose said...

I am thinking you are in a much better frame of mind this week...so I need help with Tyler's question of the day

From the back seat of the car today on the way to daddy's work to have lunch Tyler asks "Mom how come we can't see God's power?"

Help?!?
Nichole

Renee Swope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Renee Swope said...

Popping over from my blog in response to your "I am so not perfect" post. Girl, we are all in progress. You did NOT sound like you were trying to say you are so together and all focused on others. It's okay to be encouraged and excited about what God is doing - even if it only last a day - or even an hour.

Please don't ever feel guilty for that. I felt like God wanted me to encourage you to not let Satan make throw guilt your way when you slip into the next "not so happy" moment. A righteous man/mom/woman falls seven times but rises again (Proverbs something). God's teaching me to keep my eyes on the rising not the falling!

Have a great weekend.

Hugs,
Renee

Julie Gillies said...

Hi there, Jami,

Oh, I remember those awful vaccination days - I promised Dairy Queen milkshakes afterwards just so my kids had something GOOD to look forward to after a rough morning.

God does indeed know what we are going through and I believe He has GOOD in store for us when we come through each trial.

Blessings!

lifelaughterchaos said...

uuuggh. I hate those shots.

You did a great job with communicating the lesson to her and to us...thanks!

Samantha @ the Listener's post said...

We just had to do the same thing a couple of months ago with our soon-to-be kindergartener! Much to my surprise he actually laughed when the shots when in. Trust me - it's really, really tough to watch them cry, but it's completely freaky to listen to them LAUGH. I mean, what?

Way to make that into such a great lesson for her!

Thanks for sharing,
Sam

Samantha @ the Listener's post said...

By the way - the title of your post is kind of ironic to me...in a couple of days check out the devotion I wrote that's being published Monday the 14th on Proverbs 31's Next Generation site to find out why.

http://www.radrevolution.blogspot.com/

(that's not meant to be a shameless plug, by the way...)

Sweet To Our Seoul said...

Such an encourager!!! Such a blessing today!! Thank you, Jami!!

:)April

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Ah. The umbrella principle.
See why we have to obey our parents and in the same way obey God? So He can take care of us and get us through that rainstorm.

And, gratefully, He does.

I just keep checkin' in. I am consistently inspired, entertained, and drawn to your writing.

Keep it up!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin