Hello friends!
When I went to She Speaks in June I gleaned a lot of practical information in regards to starting a speaking ministry. One piece of advice was to create a Bio sheet which tells a little about the speaker, their speaking style, some quotes from those who've heard them, and a list of topics that they speak on.
So I've been thinking about this and want to start working on it. At the conference I also learned how to come up with topics. So I've come up with some but I need your help.
I need catchy titles for my talks. I know there is a wealth of creativity among you my bloggie friends so if you could throw some my way, I'd appreciate it!
I'm still brainstorming but here is an idea of what I'd like to speak on.
1. Adoption as an option. Domestic/International. I would share our story, how we came to our decision as well as the emotional journey of it all. My purpose hear would be to build awareness on the need of orphans and to encourage women to seek God's direction. To embrace the blessing of living a life of faith.
2. I would like to do a talk to young moms. This would be meant to encourage and uplift. I would share the real struggles we all face as well as keep it lighthearted. My purpose would be to help them know they are not alone and to find significance in this most important role.
3. Listening to God. Seeing Him in the everyday moments. Learning to live in expectation of His voice. The blessing of obedience. This could be a talk to young girls (teens/preteens) or to women.
4. Purity. Keeping your heart and body pure. Guarding your heart. Living with the mentality of "How can I grow closer to Christ?" as opposed to "How far is too far with the opposite sex?" Living a life of no regrets. (This would definitely be a talk geared to teen/preteen girls.)
So here's a few of my thoughts. Any great titles come to your mind? And just so you know, I don't feel like I've mastered these concepts. I am OBVIOUSLY not the expert but I do have a passion for these topics and I want to share.
I want to encourage and exhort other women, to remind them that they are not alone. My desire is to be real and honest, in hopes that Christ would would draw women, including myself closer to Him.
So.....any thoughts?
Thursday, August 7, 2008
Creativity needed!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

9 comments:
ummm. . . . I am not the creative one to ask here. Sorry.
I do though love hearing your heart on what you'd like to speak about and what your passions are. I think you have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to these subjects and God is going to use you tremendously.
-I do remember you are "words of affirmation" :) ;) But seriously, I really think that stuff.
I love your turning "how far is to far" into "what will bring me closer to Christ." That is a wonderful idea.
I love you!
I'm going to be thinking on this one, but personally I think you may have just named your first topic: "The Adoption Option" (I can't remember who said it, - maybe Glynnis? - but rhyming and allitteration are two of the keys to catchy titles).
Jami I have been so touched, challenged and stretched by reading about your adoption journey. I think you have some great "real" life material there and I second Sam's comment about the title!
Hi Jami-
1. I agree with the others that Adoption Option I think is a great title.
2. Play Dates with Jesus - setting aside time to learn more about him and enjoying the opportunity to grow in the Lord
3. Daily Whispers - The idea is that God is whipsering to us everyday but we have to slow down and listen to hear him.
4. He's Your Brother (in Christ)-I think Christian teens forget about our responsiblity not to defraud our brother and that we do that when we engage in physicial and emotional intimacy that should be reserved for a spouse. (the counter guy's part is She's Your Sister (in Christ).
The other is Guarding the Temple. Our body/entire being is a temple for the God/Holy Spirit. You would never purposely damage the church building...why would you do that to your body.
These are just random thoughts. I'm sure God can use your lessons to bring glory to him and draw others closer.
Sorry the last comment was really from Laura Lindberg. I was accidently signed in as my sister Diana
OK, I've thought of some for the purity topic, but I don't know if they're great. Here goes anyway:
"Passion Pursuit: Where is your heart?" (Or "The Pursuit of Passion", "Where are you headed?" etc)
"How Far Is Too Far (When The Distance is From God)?"
and here's just a tag line idea:
"The path to purity begins with asking the right question." (You know, to go with the whole it's not about how far but how can I get closer thing - which is awesome, by the way).
Anyway, for what it's worth there are a couple I thought of last night. Don't know if that's even remotely what you are looking for, but maybe it will at least help you realize what you DON'T want to call it...
hey there! i took some blogging hiatus and i'm back again...it is good to be visiting friends again!
anyway, i thought about this in the shower this morning;)
i find myself to be somewhat creative, but i think we are putting the cart before the horse. what i mean is...do you have your "talks" written yet?
i know that i NEVER title my posts until they are written, because i NEVER know what i am going to write and where it's going to go...sometimes i end up writing a theme within the post.
so my advice to you is to write what you are going to say...then look at that to figure out your "catchy title"...it may just jump right off the page at you! (maybe you have already written them)
I also think that you are going to switch up your titles (I am sooo not experienced with this so listen to she speaks before me;)...but something like the Adoption Option is great for an audience that is there because they are wanting to learn about adoption as an option for themselves...however, if you are sharing your adoption story as a way to show how God worked in your life...and how he provided and all that kind of good stuff, you will want a different title.
So that's my 2 cents...sorry if I am wrong and are leading you astray...and if I am right...well, then, I need to make money consulting;)
Jami,
I will be really interested to see how all of this comes together for you. I haven't done anything with the info I brought home from She Speaks but I do want to pull something together eventually. Keep me posted on how you do the Bio sheet and newsletter. And I love all the topics you are interested in speaking on! You are going to bless MANY my friend!!!
Love,
Kelley
Hi, Jami ---
I've been 'gone' for a little bit and came back for a visit this evening. I don't know about you, but WOW - Laura's idea of "He's Your Brother" is packed with a punch. I'm going to keep that in the recesses of my mind for my girls. Because young people ARE so caught up in figuring out how far is too far - when they think of it THIS way --- WOW! You can add the 'grow closer to your Father' bit into that one. I'd send my kid to it! (And attend with her, if you'd let me *grin*)
What an amazing pursuit for you.
Blessings as you endeavor.
Post a Comment