I am learning so much about myself from being a mommy.
Today, I was talking to Paige about how I don't ever want her to try and be anybody but herself. That she is special because God made her and that I love her simply because she is my Paige.
This conversation was spurred on because she has been using "baby talk" for quite some time now. Not all of the time, but often and especially when she is uncomfortable or tired. Honestly, it's caused me great frustration and we haven't been able to nip it in the bud, yet.
So I've been thinking - perhaps she feels like she isn't as special because she's not the baby. Hudson gets so much attention when he talks cutely; why wouldn't she want to sound like him?
But it's gotten old.
So we talked and came up with a plan and now I'm praying that she will turn the corner.
It's such a struggle though isn't it? Being thankful for who and how God made us? I realized that as an adult, I still fight this. Generally I am happy with the person God created me to be, but it's so easy to compare.
Let's face it, there will ALWAYS be someone who does this or that better than me. Who dresses better, who is better looking, more organized, MUCH more creative, etc. etc. And if I find myself focusing on this - I become unhappy and discontent.
Which is why God says that those who compare themselves with others are not wise. (2 Cor. 10:12) He knows what He's talking about, I do believe.
Do you struggle with this too? If not, I will try really hard to not to become jealous of that fact! :)
Have a great day all!
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
it all comes back around
Labels: life lessons
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
I can honestly say I have never had that problem, Jami. I am always absolutely happy with how God made me, I never look to humans for affirmation, and I just have an all-around GREAT self esteem.
Hahaha - just KIDDING!
Jami, I hear ya! And, I'm thinking we're NOT the only two. :) Great post!
This is such a huge issue! And it is so awesome that having children helps us to see some of the really important things God wants us to wrap our hearts around!
Like He made us beautiful and perfect just the way we are!
I was just reading about this in Ecclesiastes... I believe the 3 or 4th chapter. How every achievement or ambition under the sun is done for the envy of others... whoa, big truth! Sometimes the biggest struggle with this comes in our Christian walk... comparing ourselves with other Christians : )
We have to be SO careful with our motives and guard our hearts above ALL else!
Thanks for the post!
Oh yea! I definetly struggle with this. I always feel like my friends houses are cleaner or their husbands love them more. And the fact is that they have dust bunnies under their furniture too! :)
They were talking about this same subject on Focus on the Family this morning.
Andrea
Lately I have been consciously trying to throw out all those comparison thoughts as soon as they enter my brain. And replace them with the truth that God created me specifically the way I am for a purpose and He doesn't make mistakes.
So, yeah, I kind of struggle with this too! :)
Personally, Jami I think everybody struggles with this....I can't imagine how you don't, unless you are in denial or full of pride. Everytime my eyes fall off God, I try to refocus them and realize that this is just a moment in time and it too will pass. In my opinion this is key - Eyes on God. God has created us each uniquely and w/o this uniqueness there is no depth to life and nothing to contribute to his body. I also think though never being completely content in who we are forces us to stay bent on Him. Great post.
Hi Jami! Yes, I do struggle with comparing myself to others. I have noticed especially this week this has been an issue for me. I find myself saying, "But why doesn't so and so have to do that....why isn't this so difficult for so and so and it is for me...etc. You get the point. I appreciate the scripture reference that you gave in regards to this. I needed that.
By the way, I love your speaking titles. I believe they all are great subjects but I too have been touched by your adoption story. I think that's a given good one to choose. All the others would be great too. I will be praying for direction.
Love and Hugs,
Nicole
Post a Comment