Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Tuesday's Blend - Home Management


Hello friends!

Let me remind you of our topic for today's Blend. (for more information on Tuesday's Blend click here)


Please share your ideas on how you make your home run more smoothly.
gg
Whether it be meal planning, budgeting, grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, or just how to find that great deal, I want to hear from you!

Today I will set up Mr. Linky. You can either write your own post with a link back to me or just leave me a comment.

But first, I'll start. This is nothing earth shattering or even new but it has made a big difference in my life.


ONLINE BILL PAYING



Now I don't always do this exactly like I should but the plan is to enter in the bills soon after I get them...the great thing is that you can schedule out when the payment leaves. So you can enter it in early and then forget about it!

So that's one small tip from me.

Now it's your turn!








5 comments:

L, Ann and boys said...

hmmmm...That's how I pay bills too, so I second your advice. No need to pay late fees...or stay on hold forever getting them removed from the bill.

One thing Luke and I do is use a credit card (that we pay off monthly in full) that has high rewards points. If I really want something (like a new pan or random house thing) I'll shop the online rewards items and get it from there if it's a good deal (4-5% back on the dollar spent on the card). If we don't really want anything we just do a cash back card of $50 on the next statement or a gift card to pay for a date night dinner. We also have a neat and tidy record of spending that can be imported to Money or Quicken. =o) It makes me wait a bit longer on getting new things which is good too. Speaking of new things; one other thing that has changed my spending is truly convincing myself that older vintage things are cool. I like getting free stuff like hand me down chairs and old vases. I try to figure out how to update stuff without spending much on the project. Of couse there is a place for new too, like a matress. =o)

Ann

Alissa said...

I try to get our dinner pretty much ready to go in the oven or prepared as much as possible while the girls are asleep. That way I'm not trying to get it all made with them at my feet fussing when Duane gets home. It makes for a much more peaceful atmosphere to come home to! Maybe that's not what you meant by home management ideas - but I guess it is how I manage my home!
Also, I gotta put in my two cents about grocery shopping! I love Aldi's (and Wal-Mart! - but only the one on Market). I left Aldi's the other day with my entire shopping list taken care of for $33! You just can't beat it!
~Alissa

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

Hahaha.

Oh. Sorry Jami. My new avatar is Pigpen from Peanuts. Only my cloud hanging over my head is chaos. It's a blog post. Seriously. I'll have to come back and see what I can learn!

Kristy said...

I love Meijer too!!!

I use the cash-only system for groceries and household items. I divy out my weekly amount, and as I'm shopping do a rounded total so I know approximately where I'm at. Those splurge items I put in the top of my cart. When checking out, I do the self-checkout with no item limit and if I have enough, I get my splurges, otherwise, I pass. It really makes you evaluate your needs and eliminates buying without thinking. If something I use regularly is on sale, sometimes I will stock up and go over, but then I make sure to account for it by going down the next week. It's been good for me and forces me to stay on the budget.

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm probably really late...but am trying to only read blogs when I really have the time...thus not often! =( A few of the things that I do to try to keep things organized:
1) Online bill pay all the way! You can also schedule recurring payments for anything that costs the same each month.
2) I plan our weekly menu every week before going to the grocery store. I try to use the Meijer store flyer to include items in the menu plan that are on sale that week. I also can go through my coupons and have them ready to go because I know what I'm going to buy, for the most part. In addition, having a plan helps me to plan my meals around our schedule. Easy meals or leftovers on busy nights...something a little better on nights when there isn't anything going on.
3) We talked about deals...some that I've found out there are: Buy 1 Get 1 free gummy vitamins at Meijer. They are on sale this week...and usually are about once a month.

I'll quit now as my post is really long. I love to talk about ideas on how to get more organized and ways to try to save. Thanks for putting it out there! =)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin