The day started out well...I felt excited about what we were going to do but during naptime I made a critical error. I allowed laziness to rule my parenting instead of stepping up to the plate.
Here's how it went down...
1. Girls are in quiet time - good so far.
2. I start blogging
3. Girls come down from quiet time and ask to continue quiet time in the living room playing dollhouse
4. I say "yes" because that is easier then saying "no" and having to get up from the computer where I am blogging (and really, playing with the dollhouse is a quiet activity...I think to myself)
5. Suddenly "Quiet" time becomes quite LOUD!
6. Girls begin running around the house "fighting the enemy"...where they got that, I don't know...they are girls for pitty sakes :)
7. Frustration begins to build in me...but I grin and bear it (AKA - am lazy) and continue to what???? you guessed it - blog!
8. Later Hudson wakes up and quiet time is officially over.
9. They watch a movie
10. I keep blogging (seriously, this is embarassing to admit but I'm hoping I'll be able to finish with a point)
11. Movie ends.....kids are wild....I am feeling frazzled because I have not had any real downtime (blogging is great but often I feel more tired after staring at a computer screen for long periods of time)
12. I decide to go out an plant flowers...kids are still wild...BAD idea
13. Clint comes home...I have had it....DOOR SLAMS....COLD SHOWER.....LOTS OF TEARS...
14. I apologize to each child...and hubby
15. Kids and hubby forgive...praise God for that!
16. I learn valuable lesson
Ahhh, here it is....the point!
While sobbing in the shower I realized why my day had turned so bad.
#1 I spent WAY to much time on the computer and far too little with the Lord
#2 I was lazy and tuned out to my kids
#3 I was focused on me, me, me
My laziness and selfishness created alot more havoc and frustration than there would have been had I just stepped up and done my job! I ruined the afternoon...not my children.
Time moves by so quickly...I need to take advantage of the teachable moments...to take opportunities to draw my children's hearts to Jesus. To enjoy the simple everyday blessings. To say "NO" and follow through, even when it's hard. Parenting is tough but it is vitally important.
I understand the significance and importance of my job as mommy - unfortunately I just don't always act like it.
I am a work in progress...Thank You God for loving me enough to continue working on me!!
(just so you know, kids are all in bed or quiet time right now so the blogging I'm doing is not creating havoc...I don't want another afternoon like yesterday!) :)
Thursday, May 15, 2008
Clint may have made daddy of the year, but me...not so much
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Jami, I am so guilty of this too. Especially today. As I was reading your post I picked up Jadon off the floor because he wanted attention and put him on my lap so I can keep blogging. (what's coming is me getting upset at him banging on the computer keys) And I haven't had a quiet time, even though I can feel in my soul that I need it.
So, let's keep each other accountable.
Tomorrow, different story.
Although it sounds like you've done well today, I need another shot tomorrow.
Thanks for your post.
Jami...you are the best. I laughed out loud reading your post! I can picture the whole thing.
Love you tons, Alesa
Ahhh, I can relate! : ) But you know that. I read your post and thought... oh, no, she had as bad of a Thursday as I did! Then I realized it was about your bad Wednesday! Hope your Thursday was better.
Such good reminders. Thanks. Love ya,
your post made me smile . . .I've been trying to be more purposeful during the day and have seen some success. However, the time has transferred!! : ) I'm in a bad habit of checking them now before we go to bed. So ryan heads up to get ready . . and 30 minutes later. : )
Last night I went upstairs and said, Hi, my name is Amber . . .and I'm addicted to blogging. We were laughing that a week away from the computer may be good (hopefully withdrawal won't be ugly). ; )
I can SO relate!!!! I didn't realize staring at a computer for so long can make for one cranky momma! I am guilty of that today. I have two more weeks of school, then will be home with Madalyn all day, everyday for the summer. Between Greg changing jobs, my first year teaching, and becoming parents, this year has really been a whirl. I miss my quiet times with the Lord...it's never been this hard to find (make!) time. I am often perplexed by this thing called Blogland...it's strange how much I lived on the computer before Madalyn came home. It gave me great comfort. Now that she's home, SHE'S my comfort! :)
Wow...didn't mean to ramble, just wanted to say that I really appreciate your post. Love reading your blog (when I get a free minute!!)!
Hugs,
Kristin
thaks for being used by the Spirit via your vulnerability. much appreciated here
Thanks for this great reminder - Inedded to hear this!!!!!!!!1
Post a Comment