Can you help?? This family LOVES chocolate chip cookies and I've tried many different recipes. All good but I feel there is still the perfect one out there!
I want to make a cookie that is a bit doughy, very chocolately, maybe slightly crisp around the edges and one that still looks pretty when it comes out of the oven.
Anyone have any tips...which is better butter or margerine or something else. Should I be packing the brown sugar or not? I am looking for ideas here. I know that cookie is out there!!
Anyone have any tips...which is better butter or margerine or something else. Should I be packing the brown sugar or not? I am looking for ideas here. I know that cookie is out there!!
Join me will you, in finding the most perfect cookie?!! :)


16 comments:
hmmm - how about this "gourmet" tip from your pampered chef consultant?! : )
for scripture memory the other week Kathy brought in Meijer Brand cookie dough to make cookies with - they were delicious! That's my kind of cookie making!!! : )
I remember Carissa always having a GREAT chocolate chip cookie recipe. I think it had pudding mix in it. You'll have to get it from her (She is the queen of cookies after all!!).
james, i don't know if this helps, but i found a website that lets you choose what qualities you want in a chocolate chip cookie and then gives the recipe. i chose the 'thin, crispy, chewy' one because it sounded best. and it said the brown sugar should be 'firmly packed' and to use butter. so those might be worthy things to try. here's the address:
http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1683595
jami, I am on the same page as Amber- I use Aldi break & bake cookies a lot, and they are so delicious.
Jami,
This isn't going to suprise you coming from me. Definitely BREAK & BAKE Toll House! They are soo good and easy!
Renee's new cookbook has a bunch of recipes; she's on the hunt for the perfect combo as well. We really loved Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, II. Carrie made them for a cooking day with our Biblestudy.... huge batches that we all froze. Our hubbies all agreed they were the best choc. chip cookies ever.
The key is underbaking, according to Renee, which I agree with.
I have one that uses vanilla pudding mix that is really good. Also, I agree with underbaking. I always take mine out with a couple minutes to go and let them sit on the pan for the last two minutes before removing them. And also don't overmix your dough or your cookies won't rise. I think the ones in the picture look very good, if you made those!!
~Alissa
Oh...I had one more tip...instead of making the whole batch at once, which usually makes a lot more cookies than we need at the moment...I sometimes roll portions of the dough into logs and wrap in wax paper and put them in freezer bags and throw them in the freezer. Then when we feel like cookies, I grab a log out of the freezer and slice them and bake them. Then you always have fresh cookies!
~Alissa
Hey Jami-
Have you ever been to allrecipes.com? They have some really good recipes and they are all rated (on a 5-star scale) and they also tell you how many people have rated them. If you enter "Chocolate Chip Cookies" and order your results by rating (just check the rating tab), you can see the top ones. The first few have five stars, but not many ratings, but if you keep going down the list there are a few recipes with 4 1/2 stars and over 1,000 ratings, which seems to mean GOOD COOKIES!!! Ok, so this feels like the most long, drawn-out explanation, but I really love this site and have found some really good recipes on it. Check it out!!!
wow girls - I was shocked by all the responses!! thanks...
i agree completely about the bake and break...love them but I'm definately going to have to check out some of these websites.
alyssa - your tip about not over stirring is great because I definately stir alot...you know I've got my kitchen aid mixture that does a grand ole job! but my cookies are often flat...
thanks girls!! i'll let you know!
sorry they don't even sell chocolate chips here in the UK so I make them for a bag mix and they are not the best....might be more about the baker then the mix:) I love to cook but not so good at baked goods!:)
holli - are you kidding??? how do you survive without choc. chips? :)
YUM! I have the recipe!!! (it's perfect to me at least) It involves grinding oatmeal!!
I think some of the secret in making cookies is the butter, you have to soften it, but not melt it.
I'll e-mail you the recipe if you'd like. It's Josh's aunts recipe.
a word of advice I got from your sister-in-law Chelby was to use a shiney (spell?) pan to bake the cookies. I haven't tried it yet but she claimed if the pan is shiney the dough will rise more...never hurts to try?
Booxy
i've always used the recipe on the back of the choc. chip bag--but they have to be Nestle Toll House semi-sweet chips ;) Also, my mom always used half margarine & half Crisco, she said all butter or all margarine made the cookies flat and I have experienced this more than once when I didn't have any Crisco. have fun baking!
sorry jami, i forgot to sign the last one--it was from me :)i have been sick since Sat. so my brain is still a little fuzzy
janelle
You are talking my favorite food topic! Chocolate chip cookies! I make a double batch at least once a week. I use oatmeal in mine (then they are a health food!) I use the Nestle Oatmeal Scotchies recipe (google it) but without cinnamon and with chocolate chips (a 1/2 cup more than they say) instead of butterscotch chips. I use butter and soften (don't melt) in the microwave. And like someone else said, don't overstir. Enjoy! I started freezing them in used large yogurt containers to "hide" them from the teenagers. My one year old daughter sees yogurt at the store and yells "cookies"! :)
~Deb E
Post a Comment