Friday, May 23, 2008

Some good reasons to "set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth" (Col 3:2)

(PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR THE CHAPMAN FAMILY)
fff
Carpet stained with blue fingernail polish...why we had BLUE - I don't know!!
There used to be a piece of wood covering this...like a faux drawer you know! Oh and the bottom drawer won't close anymore.

The writings on the wall here...LITERALLY!

Ahhhh, a cute lamp you think...but wait

let's just turn it around now, shall we?!

Sometimes, I get frustrated with how my house has been continually ruined (mostly by my children) but in reality, it is a good reminder that this world is not my home. The stuff of this life will not last. My favorite shirt gets a hole in it. A newly painted wall becomes an art canvas for my children. My car gets a dent. The list goes on and on.

I have been incredibly blessed in my life. But yet, I still struggle with discontentment at times. It is when I am focused on Jesus and eternal matters, that I feel such peace and joy!

Now I don't feel that there is anything wrong with spending time and money on yourself or your home, etc. BUT there needs to be a balance...and sometimes in my life I find the scale weighing much too heavily on the wrong side.

So I say, thank you Lord, for the little "reminders" of what is truly important...and what is NOT! (Now if I could just be thankful in the moment as well...I'd be doing really good!) :)

4 comments:

Kelley said...

I can relate to this so well!! It isn't the things of this world that are worth living for and yet society wants to tell us differently. Thank you for this timely reminder that "real life" is not about perfection!

I look forward to meeting you at the She Speaks conference. Are you doing the Speaker's Track? I have met several women (through blogging) that are doing the Writer's Track but not many doing speaking. I will look forward to meeting you there. Keep in touch until then.....

Blessings,
Kelley

Jess said...

The lamp looks like the death star from star wars. Made me crack up out loud!

We are continually in a society that is completely about what we have and what we look like. It is so hard to keep our feet on the ground. When I get disillusioned I try to remember Guatemala and think of how amazed Jadon's foster mother would be if she spent one moment in my house. I mean, I dishwasher! Good grief!

Thanks for the reminder and your transparency.

Hope you guys have a GREAT weekend!!

Daish said...

Jami-
i love you. thanks for this blog:) it was encouraging in a wierd way...i'm sure you know what i mean. I love hearing of the realities of life...because they happen to me...and when i hear they happen to someone else i always relax and think..."i'm normal!" So thanks...and i really like your kids!

Missy said...

This is such a good reminder for me. I have incredibly destructive children. I am constantly frustrated by what they break, because they can break ANYTHING.

When I feel like screaming, I try to remember that the relationship is more important than my earrings/fan pull/expensive table/antique dresser/newly painted playroom/walls/carpet etc etc etc.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin