
As we prepare Paige to head off to kindergarten, I find myself thinking a lot about what I've taught her so far and how much more I want her to know. I desire to make Jesus real to her in practical, everyday ways. I want to instill in her a love for Him and a soft heart for others. Praise God, He goes before us and grows the seeds we plant in our children's lives.
The other day I heard Susan Hunt talking on Family Life Today. She developed a resource to help young children learn the fundamental truths of the Bible. "Big Truths for Little Kids" is a great book to use with kids as young as 3 years old.
For this week's Tuesday's Blend, will you share any helpful resources you've used in your family?
*Have you found any good devotionals that have especially impacted your kids?
*Any good ideas for family nights?
*How about some ideas on how to create a hunger for God's word in your children or teaching them to have compassion for those less fortunate.
*What about good tips for cultivating THANKFULNESS in your kiddos?
The list could go on and on. I hope to hear from you! :)
Tuesday, May 27, 2008
tuesday's blend
Labels: life with kids, tuesday's blend
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
Where's Mr. Linky?
I am sorry I can't help with this yet, but I am looking forward to seeing other's ideas.
Tonight we took our small group along with our oldest kids, Ellie (10) and Josie (8) to the Midwest Foodbank and they loved it! They dug right in helping to repack bulk pasta into smaller baggies, label with stickers, and pack in boxes. The work was totally doable for kids 6 and up and it really gave them a sense of satisfaction to serve! I think just getting the focus off of themselves is one of the best ways we've seen our kids grow in thankfulness. Also going to museums (such as the Lincoln Museum and seeing the horrors of slavery and the Civil War), traveling, and seeing other ways of life has provided huge growth opportunities for all of us. Great questions!
I really struggle finding the right devotional times for my kiddos. I decided to it while they are eating dinner. They are completely attentive at that time. They look forward to it. SInce Spring has arrived, I've gotten away from it, but I need to start again.
I"ve used Day by day devotions by Karyn Henley. It uses the same verse for 5 days. The devotions are not watered down. My 6 year old can understand most...but it would be perfect for like an 8 year old.
Here is an idea I have been meaning to do, but haven't quite gotten there yet.
I want to take 31 pictures of kids from Compassion's site and kids waiting to be adopted on adoption sites (including pictures of kids we know in Ukraine and the kids we sponsor)and put them in a small photo book with their names.
Then I would like to pray for one child a day. I figured I could periodically swap out pictures, but my hope is that it would get my kids to think outside of their own little world. To realize that their are kids who don't have enough and to pray for them.
Hi Jami--I'm new to blogging and found your page from another one...but I thought I'd share what I started with our kiddo's when they started school. Each morning we pray together by the bus stop just about school, etc. And they are personal to the child. The kids LOVE this and if I'm late getting to the bus stop with them...they are calling me calling me...so as NOT to miss the opportunity. This morning was the last morning for them for the school year and Michaela was MOM hurry up...I know I'm only going to be at school for 5 minutes but please pray. And I've decided that next year I'm adding to my prayer. I heard somewhere to read the book of Proverbs with your kids so next year I'm going to add this to the morning. It's only 10 minutes but it really helps the kids get there days started and also makes a great opportunity to visit with the kids about life in general. Doing it at the bus stop has a different feeling than say around the breakfast table. They really open up to me during this time...different then when you put them to bed at night. I've been blessed as a mother doing this and just wanted to share it with you for maybe an idea for you to use. Kaden already has said to me...next year you will pray with me before I get on the bus...right mom? He's watched a time or two when he was up and know's that this is special times for those that go to school. :) Have a great day and visit my page when you have time. I don't always have lots of thoughts like yours...just pitcures and a few words. Writing is not one of my gifts. :)
#1. You find your hunger for God's Word. Their hunger will follow.
#2. Speak you faith to your child. Always, even when it seems awkward or strange. Find your voice and speak. Too many parents make the mistake of thinking that their kids know already what they believe.
Or, rather than risking seeming "weird" to their teenagers, they keep silent. If there is one piece of advice I could give to all parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and the like...
Speak your faith. Don't assume.
There are no magic forumulas for growing kids to follow hard after their Maker. There are simply lives lived in the genuine, honest pursuit that breathes a witness far louder then anything else.
Hi...I'm elaine, over from Mr. Linky at Lysa's blog. Just wanted to cruise around and see who else is coming to She Speaks.
God bless you mom, in all your doings. You have been given everything you need to parent as brilliant and as sacred.
peace~elaine
Post a Comment