Friday, October 31, 2008

A birthday to remember.




It was a cold February day. The sunroom was filled with giddy little 2nd graders. This was my birthday party. Many of my classmates were there and my mom even bought a pinata for some extra fun! I was thrilled!
dd
Excitement filled the room as we began swinging at the pinata. My mouth watered as I dreamed of what kind of candy would fall to the ground after the last powerful swing.
dd

Finally the moment came. We knew one more swing would do it.
dd
Batter up, swing, and......nothing??!


Nothing except a few scraps of colorful pinata paper floated to the ground.


I still remember the shock I felt as I realized that our pinata was empty!!!


Unfortunatley, my mom hadn't realized that pinatas do not come filled - she was supposed to do this herself!!!


Needless to say, she ran around the house scrounging up fruit snacks and anything she could find for my disappointed friends.

She had planned on using the candy from the pinata for our snack so she really didn't have anything else on hand.
dd
Honestly, I'm not sure who was more shocked - me or my poor mom! :) In her defense - Mom (and Dad) threw me a wonderful surprise 16th birthday party a few years later! :)
dd
Mom, I loved reliving this moment! It made me laugh just thinking of it! :) You were (and still are) a wonderful mom! I praise God for you! Thanks for always being here for me. You are someone I look up to and am thankful to call one of my very best friends! I love you!

6 comments:

megs @ whadusay said...

I Love that Story! :)

Alesa said...

I'm filled with mixed emotions...on one hand, I think this story is really funny, but I can't help but feel so badly for your mom! Thanks for sharing.... :)

Love ya.

Tater & Haley said...

What a great story! The sad thing is, I - like your mom - did not realize that those things were not already filled until this past summer. I realized this when I was going to buy one for Landon's birthday. I was at Target looking at the ones they had. When I realized that they had a small sticker on there that said (fill with candy or small prizes) I decided that was too much work at the time. They also were on the top shelf. I guess that is me just being lazy. I do love them and hope to fill one someday. :)

Kristy said...

Alright, I just laughed out loud!! That was too Funny!! I would have thought they'd already be filled too! Poor Marla...I wouldn't have had much on hand, either! I can just about FEEL her humiliation....thankfully they were just a bunch of 2nd graders! (but I bet your party the following year was a HUGE hit!) ;)

Flamingo said...

That made me laugh out loud!!! thanks.

i'm sure your mom just loves hearing that story over and over again....if it were my mom, I would be telling it over and over again;) lol

Karin @ 6ByHisDesign said...

oh that's too funny! Your poor mom!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin