Thanks for the sweet comments girls!
Jenny asked for a little more info about "the six week part" so I'll do my best to explain. Also-April, I'm so glad to hear more good about Lifeline - thanks!! :)
As many of you know, in domestic adoption the birth mother has a certain period of time after the baby is born before she signs (basically stating that she still wants to pursue adoption for her child).
Every state is different. In Alabama, the BM (birth mother) has 5 days to change her mind after she has signed for ANY reason...no questions asked.
These are the cases you often hear about. The adoptive family meets the BM and the baby at the hospital but the BM decides to keep her baby.
In AL, after those 5 days the BM has another 11 days to change her decision but this time, she will have to contest it in court. She would have to prove that she was coerced into making a decision she didn't want to, etc. etc. After this time period, the adoption would be considered final UNLESS the birth father enters the picture. He has a full 30 days to come forward and claim his rights to the child.
(This is how I understand it...click here if you want the official summary of AL adoption law)
Lifeline's attorney is very cautious and likes to wait to notify the adoptive families until after this 30 day time frame to avoid the adoption falling through after the adoptive couple has met the baby. During this time frame, the babies are taken care of in loving Christian foster families.
This gets tricky if the BM, insists that her baby not be in foster care. In these cases, the adoptive family has to make a decision. Lifeline strongly discourages adoptive families, especially out of state families from coming until the 30 day period is over.
Then there is Interstate Compact. Being out of state, there is a period of time after the adoption is final before the adoptive family can take the baby out of Alabama.
Lifeline also encourages families to wait to come to pick up baby until all paperwork is settled. This could take 1 - 2 weeks.
So basically once we get the "call" and say "yes!" we need to be ready to travel within a few weeks...as soon as the Interstate Compact is settled.
Now obviously you could get a child who is already a few months old before he/she is placed for adoption or if the hospital takes a very long time to forward paperwork on, this could all result in an older child. But the likely age of our baby would be 6 weeks to 2 months old.
Only God knows how all of this will come about. I'm trying to not put my trust in an expected plan because I have learned that God's plan is MUCH bigger and better than mine. I'm trying to live with arms open to Him...in expectation of what great things He has for us and our family!
Because it's really not about me...or my family. It's all about bringing Glory to Him.
I truly can't wait to meet our baby though! I wonder what he/she will look like, what will his/her personality be, will my baby be a he or a she??
I feel incredibly blessed at how God has put our family together. I couldn't imagine a better way! And it's been ALL Him! He has changed my heart, my plans, my idea of what is best and He is RIGHT ON!!! :)
I'm sure I'll be posting more about adoption soon. So many things on my mind right now and I just want to share!
Love you all!! :)
Thursday, October 9, 2008
A little more info:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
wow jami, I just got all caught up on your blog, and was so excited by the time I was done reading about your adoption timeline!!! As always we will be praying for your little one and for your entire family!!
how exciting!!! i have friends that did an alabama adoption and the same was explained to me.
did they tell you how soon a referral would come?
goodness! a call that says let's go in 1 week! you are braver than i!!!
I am so excited for you! I can't wait to hear more! I am happy to hear that this agency may be a little better than the last too. Talk about a totally different process!
Thanks for the details- it's nuts how all adoptions are so different and require such different things! I love following along...and pray right beside you.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE adoption... I have 4 adopted brothers...all came through foster care situations..a hard way to adopt but we can't imagine life without them
You've been tagged!
Post a Comment