Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Break it up....

I apparently have a new job - it's called the referee.

I feel like lately my kids are fighting so much more. And I'm seeing a lot of ugly coming out of their sweet little selves. Ungratefulness, selfishness, and even downright meanness at times.

These are not the sweet moments that I love.

I get very tired of breaking things up over and over. And honestly, I've been feeling rather discouraged about it.

I need new ideas....and I can't find my "Creative Correction" book!

Yesterday one of my kids said something very unkind to their sister. I responded with "Why do you kids talk like this?"

Then I remembered that "Oh yeah, I'm the mom," and I reworded my statement. "Those words are unkind and that is not okay. Now apologize and then say something nice to your sister."

I want to reach their hearts. I don't want it to be all about rules and consequences.

I was on my knees praying for wisdom today. Praise God He abounds in it!

I know you my dear bloggies have much wisdom as well.

I could use some fresh ideas on any of the following topics: tattling, whining, fighting, selfishness, shall I go on?

Just pick a topic, any topic! Thanks friends!

2 comments:

Taylor said...

Oh Jami, I feel for ya, these are the hard moments. All I have to offer is to try and change their perspective. Maybe show them pictures of other children around the world who don't have moms and dads or sisters and brothers and that God has shown favor on their lives to give them a mom and dad who love them, and sisters and brothers to share life with! Maybe have them sit around in a circle on the floor and pray together about it. I don't know??? I haven't really crossed that bridge yet....let us know if something works though!

Laura said...

When I was a kid my mom did this once and it worked for us...My sister and I were fighting over something and Mom made us kneel on the floor facing each other and put out hands out flat and hold them against the other sister's hands without grabbing. We also had to look at each other the whole time. We weren't allowed to talk to one another or my mom. It was a few minutes later that we were laughing and ready to go play.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin