Monday, August 30, 2010

in the battle

Last night, I had trouble sleeping and it's often there, in the darkness where some of the biggest battles rage for me. My thoughts can run away from me causing me to fear, even to the point of panic. Feeling the need for extra prayer, I nudged Clint and asked him to pray over me.

Do you ever have trouble controlling your thoughts? This has been a weakness of mine. Satan sneaks in and twists my thinking. He subtly hisses lies at me when my guard is down. Well, the Lord has been preparing me for battle. He reminded me that Satan has no power over me. For God has not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and love, and of a sound mind. 2 Tim. 1:7 I prayed that the Lord would wrap me in His arms and be my shield against Satan's darts. And then I started praying the verses that the Lord brought to mind.

The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear, the Lord is the strength of my life of whom shall I be afraid? Ps. 27:1

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Ps. 119:105

There is not fear in love but perfect love casts out all fear because fear involves torment. I John 4:18

Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. James 4:8

It was a beautiful and victorious time for me. The devil had no foothold and I was at peace. I woke up nearly every hour but never felt that fear that so often threatens me in those times.

I have a wonderful mentor friend who encouraged me in this area of guarding my thoughts. When Satan attacks, take what He says and thank God that He is going to do the opposite. That has really helped me. Last night I got little to no sleep and yet today, I had already planned a babysitter to come and instead of running errands, I am sitting here at Panera all morning just being with the Lord. He's given me back a time of rest.

I am more convinced of this now, we as Christians do not need to live defeated lives. We have all the power within us to win the battles against our enemy. We don't have to let him beat us down. Look to Jesus, my friend! He will fight the battle for you. Satan knows where we are weak and he will do whatever he can to undermined our footing but we have the power of heaven and earth behind us. Satan cannot fight against our God. If we remain in Him, we will win.

Every time.

Onward Christian soldier. Stay on guard. Keep your eyes up. You are on the winning team!

"Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God's armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh and blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God's armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm." Eph. 6:10-13

2 comments:

Ashlyn Heinold said...

Wow..I fought the same battle in my mind last night and God brought me through. Thanks for the encouragement...I feel like this post was a big hug from God just for me:-) Blessings to you!
Elizabeth Heinold

Gina said...

Thanks for a great post Jami. I've been in an internal struggle for some time in regards to my marriage (which has always been challenging to say the least). Thanks you for encouragement to never stop seeking God's strength and will.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin