Tuesday, August 31, 2010

oh the woes of the wisdom teeth

I am kind of wimpy when it comes to things such as well, anything medical. I will truly lose my appetite over a story about the time you got your appendix out or needed a tooth pulled. I am wimpy, I tell you.

When Clint and I were in Lamaze classes back when I was pregnant with Paige, I had to leave the room and put my head on a cold hospital table in order to regain my composer after watching "the video." I got completely tingly and faintish and I couldn't go back in. We just went home.

When my daughter Paige had a minor surgery on her eyelid, she came back out looking a whole lot worse then I expected and I had to sit. Then lie back. Then get a drink of sprite and eventually they decided to test my vitals. My poor daughter was sitting on my lap, while I nearly passed out! Feeling stronger, I asked them "How are Paige's vitals?" to which they responded, "They're fine. Better than yours!" It was so bad they had to call Clint (while he was driving around with another sales rep.) to come pick Paige AND me up. He drove, I sprawled out in the back seat and moaned.

And then there was that time in Kohls. Again I was pregnant and nearly passed out (this time I don't remember why) I just know that I was squatting in the check out line while the lovely sales attendant pulled out her little battery operated fan to cool me down.

And oh yes, the time I went to a Dr.'s appointment with our foster sons' mom to support her while she got a sonogram of her baby. The room was dark but things started to get darker for me, and hot - I had to leave the room and get a drink and regain my composure.

I have passed out a number of times while being sick with the flu or just after giving birth so as you can imagine, I was a little bit nervous to get repacked (pain!) after having my wisdom teeth out so Clint took me. And then I needed to go again and he took me again. But then came yesterday. I had to go back in (all by myself) and I actually felt confident. I can do this!

I walked in and sat down. Didn't even feel very nervous. The nurse did her thing and it hurt but still I felt in control. And then I walked out and got in my car and I could tell it wasn't going to be good. I turned the air on high and tried to find a comfortable position leaning across the front seats. Uhhh... but I knew I had to get back to pick up my kids (who were only about 5 minutes away) but I was altogether nauseated.

Praying the whole way, I started up my car, turned up my music, and with elbows in air leaned into the steering wheel and hit the gas. I imagine I was quite the sight! The only words from the song I picked up the entire time were along the lines of "God is with you. He will never leave you." That was pretty cool.

I made it safely to Grandma's house where I bypassed the kids and headed straight for the sofa. "I don't do well with things like these" were the words I uttered. And that is the truth, I just don't.

Well, that is the end of my short story made long! Have a lovely day!

1 comments:

Leslie Ringger said...

ahh james, this post makes me smile... and feel a little guilty after i told you dry sockets where a breeze. hehe...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin